Thread: I did it, I told my Mum and my Daughter!

Talking I did it, I told my Mum and my Daughter!

I did it, I told my Mum and my Daughter!
    I have just got back from taking my daughter and grandson to visit family.
    After much angst and a sleepless night (at my mum's), I decided I was going to tell the 2 most important women in my life, about my dressing. After what seemed to be the longest day there could ever be, and waiting for my sister and brother-in-law to go home. I waited a short while, while we washed up the dishes from dinner, and sat down for a cup of tea. All 3 of us sat down, and again after waiting for the right lull in conversation and ‘out it came’. Me and my dressing. I could not have wished for a better response from BOTH of them. They both said “they would love me whatever and it made no difference at all”. Lots of emotion and hugging and cuddling.
    I’m not going in to detail but we then chatted about: me, how long I’d been doing it, was I gay (answer = NO), what exactly I do, what dressing is, the Trans spectrum, everything. my name I use, the fact that I would have been Rachel if I was born a girl. The fact they at one time thought I would be twins, Me saying I’m still 100% me (in male mode) , but they also get Rachel as well (mum said I’ve now got an extra daughter as well. Absolutely brilliant.
    We agreed who would and wouldn't be told = No one else, in the family (yet).
    After a while my daughter went to bed leaving just me and mum and about 30 minutes later she went to get a drink to take her meds before going to bed herself.
    THEN
    at that point when absolutely euphoric,
    THE PINK MIST descended, and rational thought went out of the window.

I accessed some of my recent pics on my smart phone. On returning to the room I showed one to my mum. Her face – she was absolutely stunned. You look just like your sister. I then showed her a few more. “Is that your favourite dress”? she asked. It just blew me away.
    Then I wasn’t so sure how she was reacting and went into panic mode. I’ve gone way too far , this is too much for her to handle – I then break down. She tries to reassure me , but I won’t have any of it. Finally after about 20mins she says, show me them again (it’s now 1am) .
    She then says, if you are going to do it you need to do it right, you should have your legs together in that pose. Let me look again. You are a bit big, you going to need to loose a bit of weight. I’m not sure about the black wig I think the brown is better. And It’s too long , you need it cut slightly shorter. She’s only known about 3 hours and I’m getting the full critical workout.
    After not much sleep again, ‘cos I’m buzzing, I’ve just driven the 4 hour journey home. Absolutely knackered.

BUT I can assure you, Cloud Nine is Big Pink and Fluffy !!

I am so very happy for you Rachel! I was smiling ear to ear as I read your wonderful experience .

Hugs

Maggie

Congratulations Rachel, that's fantastic x

Wow, Rachel.... WOW!

You're definitely on Cloud 9

Sounds like the big dip on a roller coaster coming up... better hold on tight, now....

I'm pleased that's gone well for you - enjoy the feeling, have a celebratory bevvy, get some rest and let it sink in!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Awesome! Glad everything went well for you!

Bigger, pinker and more fluffy than ever...
    Excellent outcome.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I know this has been on your mind for quite a while Rachel, you've written about it a few times as I recall.

Now that it is out in the open to the most important people in your life you certainly have the right to feel ecstatic, and we share in your joy.

There have been a number of happy disclosure stories lately, but none better than yours. It seems to me that in those cases the struggle and anxiety relating to keeping it a secret is far greater than the struggle and anxiety of coming out, and the almost explosive relief immediately after is more satisfying than imaginable.

Congratulations on making your disclosure, and thank you for sharing it with us. Uplifting stories such as yours spread sunshine deep into many closets.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Silver Member
    It was wonderful to read you have taken a giant leap telling your mum, and also that she is very accepting, and IMO not being critical of Rachel. Your mum can be a great advisor in helping with clothing styles/colors, makeup, hairstyles and all those things that mums know are best for their "daughter" for a more natural feminine presentation! Enjoy

Gold Member
    Rache;
    That is great news, Now remember Mom knows best. Take her advice, And fix your pictures
    to look like she said.
    Rader

Congratulations! Your family has demonstrated that they love you and value your happiness and well being. They are role models for many.

Congrads Rachel.................I would say that you need to visit your Mom more often. It never cesses top amaze me how we can be love unconditionally by our parents but, for your Mother to affer her assistance is a dream come true. Listen to her and seek her, seek her advice and enjoy a whole new relationship with her.

Thanks everyone for your comments
    Quote Originally Posted by RADER View Post
    Rache;
    That is great news, Now remember Mom knows best. Take her advice, And fix your pictures
    to look like she said.
    Rader
    Fixing photo's may be relativly easy. fixing me to look right in them that's another matter completely.

Well done with the family, mine had a similar reaction.
    For me, my dressing has been more fun after losing lots of weight in the pools and using side plates for dinner instead of dinner plates.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Wonderful story! I laughed a lot at the pink mist part. Always making a fool of us!

I told my daughter in January, she's only 13 but took it better than my best expectations. Haven't told my mom yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Rachel,

What a great story and what a great feeling it must have been for you to share something so personal with two important women in your life. I am glad they took it well and what mother would not want to ensure her new daughter is properly outfitted and turned out . . . a mother's prerogative I guess.

Hugs and thanks for sharing.

Isha

Congratulations! It's always good to hear a coming out story with a happy ending!

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    Great news, Rachel! I'm happy for you that your reveal turned out so well!

What a wonderful story! I have an 18 year old daughter, who I'm sure knows, I just haven't broken the ice yet. She's actually my step daughter, but I've been "Dad" since she was 10. I'm the one who taught her how to shellac her nails, and she knows I'm the one who bought her the "high class" makeup that she got at Christmas. As I've told my wife, if she doesn't know by now, then she is just absolutely clueless. My heart knows she'll be fine with it, but my brain still has me with cold feet. I've decided that I will absolutely tell her before she goes away to college. Maybe I just need to take your approach and just come out with it one evening.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Wow what a great outcome, lucky you.

And big worry gone - you have a great family

Crossdresser
    I love reading stories that end in cloud nine. Yes very pink and puffy clouds there.

Yes a very heart warming event. We pass people by all the time and so often have no real idea how they would respond in challenging situations. I often think that I would like to have told my Mum but she is now dead. I always remember her saying "I was the daughter she never had" but because an earlier born child had died.

Update:
    Mum rang me this morning , a bit emotional to start.
    She needed someone to talk to about me, and the only one she could do it with, was me.
    I’m so sorry for burdening her with keeping a secret (not sure why I think it’s relevant but she’s 86).

But she soon loosed up and we ended up chatting for well over an hour about me, when my dressing started, and trying to get some explanations. Was it something she did when I was growing up? After discussing when it started she was content and have assumed it was ‘something’ at about the time puberty was starting, and probably hormone related. The whole thing revolving around how she can support and understand ‘me’.
    As my daughter is getting married in late summer, mum then suggested; that I go with her to help choose her outfit for the wedding. I thought this was absolutely great, however having gone with her in the past, it’s not going to be an easy task.
    All in all , a good morning.
    Be truthful to yourself.