Thread: A Young Man and a Free Prom Dress Promotion

A Young Man and a Free Prom Dress Promotion

A local Church has a used Prom dress Fair every year. A good friend of ours (she cuts my hair) asked my wife if she had any old prom dresses, jewelery, shoes or cosmetics that she could donate to help her church with this cause. We went to the closet and found 2 of her dresses and one of mine that we wanted to donate along with several items of jewelery, some shoes,and a bag of cosmetics. I took them to our friend and she was elated. Then 2 days later the neighbor across the street called and asked if my wife could go with her and her daughter to the prom dress fair to help pick out a formal for the daughter. My wife took them and I ran some errands and then went to pick up my wife at the dress fair. As I stood in the lobby outside the room with the dresses (there was a sign that said No Men beyond this point) I noticed a young man standing at the door. He had a pony tail and a beard was thin and was leaning on a counter. I also saw that he had 2 dresses laying beside him and was looking in the room it seemed, for a friend to come out. After a few minutes a young girl did come out with another dress and they chatted for a while and she left the dress with him and returned to the room. A few minutes later the young man looked around and took the dresses down the hall. I waited a bit and then went to the restroom to see if that is where he went. Sure enough he was in the stall trying on the dresses. I did my business and returned to the lobby. There were several men that came into the restroom so I was not alone with the young man. Soon the young man came back carrying the dresses and gave them to the young friend when she came back out. Apperantly they didnt fit or werent to his liking. I tried to get the opportunity to chat with him, but there were too many people around. His friend came out with a Turqoise dress and they left. I would have loved the chance to chat with both of them. If he had been more my size I would have offered him some of my other dresses and accessories to borrow. You just never know when you will see someone that is a cd like I am. At least he had the guts to take some dresses to the restroom and try them on with men, women, and young teen girls milling around. Good for you whoever you were.

Banned Read only
    I'd love to have a pony tail. But, the beard? Too conflicting for me. Hopefully the turquoise dress was for him having made a selection before you arrived.

I agree. Good for you! Good for your friend helping too! Great story thanks for sharing.
    Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

If the dress looks like it will fit and I like it, I will try it on drab or dame.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

What a neat story!! Your mind must have been aglow with all sorts of ways in wanting to help him out . The thought & good intention was there on your part. It was interesting to hear of a cd in the making. Thanks for sharing. Peace, mel

In my opinion, what the young man needed was for you to treat him exactly as you would treat anyone else. By chatting him up, you'd be singling him out for his "abnormality." I'm sure that's not what you intended. Just my two cents.

Maybe saying something like "I think the blue one would the look best" while looking him in the eye and leaving it at that would have communicated everything while saying nothing.

It isn't just about fear, its about empowerment. There is acknowledging a kindred spirit with a wink and there is exposing someone. Making a big deal in a public space would have been inappropriate, so your instinct was right there.

But I have to say that getting that kind of public reinforcement what I was just coming out as Bi/girly was really special to me at the time. You probably would have made his day.

- MM
    Last edited by mechamoose; 03-28-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Isn't it strange that we feel we cannot even acknowledge each other? If I were the young man I would appreciate the comments from a fellow dresser, as long as they were discreet. We walk alone in life, feeling like the underbelly of the unaccepted. One little comment can go sooo far. What would I feel if I came out of a dressing room and a dude came up to me, winked and said, " I'm with you, man. You look great."

I would feel like I'm not alone in this world, other than this forum. It would become REAL to me. There really are other dudes that think the same way. LGBT's are accepted. We seem to be the outcast of everybody. Am I wrong? Please let me know, because that's the way I feel.

To a lot of the world, LGBT and CD/TS are in the same basket.

We need to support each other, honey. If any of us see another one of us out there, give a signal.. something. It helps us feel not alone.

<3

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaK View Post
    Isn't it strange that we feel we cannot even acknowledge each other?
    Yes we're the most secret secret society out there!

My question is, was the TG person trying on the dress of the age where she will actually attend a prom wearing that dress?

I'm not completely sure of the circumstances but these exchanges are usually intended to allow girls to attend proms that they otherwise couldn't afford to attend. I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable taking a dress that could be used by a plus-size teen who is actually going to a prom.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    AMEN, Christina!!!!!