Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another sign of growing acceptance from young people and business sector

Platinum Member

Another sign of growing acceptance from young people and business sector

My son is an engineer with a major industrial company in Minnesota. During one of our regular conversations last night, we were talking about the racial bigotry that persists in Texas and he mentioned that his company has on openly TG designer...who routinely wears make up and earrings to work and wore a dress to the last Christmas party. My sons reaction is, he's a nice guy, does really good work and his coworkers are generally very accepting. Anyone with a contrary opinion apparently keeps it to themselves.

As my title suggests, this is another example of the growing tolerance of gender variants in the workplace and the much greater level of acceptance evident among young! well informed people.

Take heart. The future is looking better.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I met a young mtf working at Walmart here in my little town smack dab in the middle of the Bible belt. (S)he was wearing gender-neutral slacks and polo shirt, had long hair styled in a feminine way, light makeup and earrings. I stopped to ask her a shopping question and would have liked to mention our shared gender ID but she didn't really seem interested in engaging. I haven't seen her in there since, but still, quite noteworthy.

Banned Read only
    In case you have not noticed...... we are everywhere and most people can not tell the difference! It is Goddess's plan to take over the world. Muhahahah!

I have really noticed over the past year or so a huge level of acceptance evident among people! It seems like I have fought for equality most of my life and it is finally starting to happen.

This is very good to hear. It does seem like more and more younger people seem to accept LGBT folks with out so much as a blink of an eye and I am very glad to see the change.

I agree with what you say Kim and I think racial bigotry has improved too.
    In the South especially, I often speak to the people that used to ride in the back of the bus.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Today it is alot more visual too with the media..and social media...with guys like Perez Hilton ...Ross Mathews Miss Lawerence and Derek J out there...it is really helping out the ENTIRE community... Miss Lawerence & Derek J rock full makeup on TV.....then theres Rupals Drag Race....somebody is watching these people out there or they would not be on TV . In the bigger cities...It is no big deal at all....

VH1 Did that special on Jessica Who " I am married to a crossdresser".... check it out if you have not seen it..I see programs like this all the time on tv...Barbra Walters did a GREAT one on a 9 year old transgender you SHOULD watch....

http://www.vh1.com/video/shows/full-...playlist.jhtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJw3s85EcxM
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 03-28-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Gold Member
    You can just watch the polls swinging wildly into the direction of more acceptance. It is surprising the speed of it as everything in the past has taken quote a bit of patience. It has taken years of pain by many, no doubt. But the progress has been at a intense speed.

I agree there seems to be some progress, but I might hesitate to characterize it as true acceptance just yet. The stigma among the enlightened has lessened, but it's still there.
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 03-30-2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post right before your post.

I did a contract for a "major industrial company from Minnesota" last year and we had a very nice lady in transition on our team. The only time anyone took notice was a few congratulatory comments when the company sent out an email letting everyone know that going forward "Bill" should be addressed as "Mary." ( fake names)
    Nobody cared and, as you mentioned, were more interested in the high quality work she performed.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

we are everywhere and most people can not tell the difference!
    Please, Jorga, please don't feed the pink fog. 90% of us would get 'made' inside of ten seconds. Another 9% in 30 seconds more. Sure, lots don't care, and more are simply polite enough not to say anything or stare. But I don't think for a moment that they don't know. One guy came through work a while ago, wearing just slightly too pink clear nail polish. Every single person mentioned it about him later during the day.
    They notice. Yes, they do.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Non-Binary / Two-Spirit
    Thanks for the wonderful good news. It is a re-affirmation of what I'm seeing as well.
    Don't suppress who you are inside your heart. Let the world know how special you really are. Don't forget to smile as you share. It will come through in your beautiful words.

Your Sister/Brother,
    Debbie/Steve

Banned Read only
    Jorga, you say "we are everywhere" but a lot of the threads on here have said I have never seen another CD. Sometimes-miss thinks 99.9% of CD's are outed in a mili-second. Just wondering how you are able to see so many CD's, personally I've never seen one except looking in the mirror.

Gone to live my life
    Hi all,

I have heard this before and I agree that acceptance is increasing. While some will argue that it is not acceptance but only people having the politeness to not say anything . . . in a way that is acceptance by non-confrontation. I for one am glad when out and about that people have the good graces to not say anything. Do they accept me? Some may some won't as it is clearly obvious I am a guy. However a truly intolerant person would say something or be confrontational and to date I have only had one such encounter. For the most part people have either been nice or just don't care/say anything. So are we gaining acceptance? Yes albeit at a snails pace but each slow painful step forward is one less required by those who come after us.

Hugs

Isha

Silver Member
    I don't buy that Texas is anymore bigoted than most other states. Was in Missouri recently and it couldn't get much worse. Three months ago I was in a meeting in San Fran and found some attitudes that didn't match with the perceived views of the city. Was in a Toy's R Us in Texas where one of the clerks was obvious mtf and everyone was accepting.

I ventured out today to actually do some Cassie shopping in drab mode. Near my neighborhood, there are a couple of vintage stores that I figure, are small, no crowds, hopefully an accepting and friendly SA. I went to the first store, browsed, but didn't really find much, Lovely clothes, but not my size. So, I took off to the second. A larger boutique, more clothes, but many more people. So, I stuck to the boys section, too scary Mary to browse the gal section. But low and behold, a few women's tee shirts mixed in with the boys tees, and one fit!...LOL. I selected a few boys tees, and took four tees, including the one gal tee I found to the counter and the SA rang up the sale.

As she was ringing up the sale, I asked if they carry Women Plus Sizes. She said, some, not a lot, but she did see several items pass through the store regularly. I took a breath and said, well, it would be for me. The SA eyes did the unexpected awareness look but almost immediately, said, Oh, ok, no problem, we have several ... We don't care. Really, it's fine. I know there are still some that don't accept, but it's not a problem here. I smiled, and said, I didn't know your polices and I really would like to shop when it's not as crowded as it was today. She said, Oh, yeah, I understand, come by tomorrow (Sunday) about an hour before we close, it should be very slow, or probably on Wednesday, about the same time.

I told her well, that's great. I said, I really like the jewelry and pointed to the display on the wall, and right away, the lady standing in front of the display, did a quick turn and back. The SA and I chuckled. I asked if they carried any clip on ear rings, she said, sure, but they're mixed in among the hooked rings. She said, to come back Wednesday because Monday, a new shipment of clothes was schedule to arrive and Wednesday will be a good night to shop. I took my package and said, well I guess I will see you Wednesday night. Smiled and left feeling so happy!

So, in some venues, it is getting better, and yes, the SA was in her 20s, and the store itself caters to a younger, college age crowd. You can't beat the prices. I think I found a treasure.

Cassie

Quote Originally Posted by deebra View Post
    Jorga, you say "we are everywhere" but a lot of the threads on here have said I have never seen another CD. Sometimes-miss thinks 99.9% of CD's are outed in a mili-second. Just wondering how you are able to see so many CD's, personally I've never seen one except looking in the mirror.
    There are very, very few crossdressers that can pass; and the closer you get, the easier it is to tell. Even many professional female impersonators don't pass up close. I've come across several crossdressers/TS while I'm working, and when you see up close, there's almost always something obvious that's a dead give away. I work in a public place and see lots of people each day, and when busines is slow, I get to watch the girls; and its pretty simple to tell which are genetic females and which are not. Men and women walk differently because of our anatomical differences, and especially when walking quickly such as during commuting hours, it's easy to pick apart the sexes by the way the bodies move. Virtually every crossdresser makes the mistake of overdoing the female gait when he tries to duplicate it, and then messes it up even further when he tries to walk faster.

edit: see this page as a good moving picture example that shows the differences in gait between the two sexes: http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 03-30-2014 at 12:15 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    In the world of shopping, I believe its the mighty $ that speaks acceptance (my views only..k?) but at the same time, the thoughtfulness of a true SA plays a big part in it, no matter the age.

Acceptance by the young? well, I do agree in part that most are growing up to view "to each their own", some are just trying to figure themselves out without much given to figure out the next person And still, those that are caught up in their lives to focus on another (YAH!! social media).

Work place..laws, regulations, fear of lawsuits.. and of course, more accepting employees who judge by the work, not the appearance.

Being a crossdresser, I was able to hear both sides of the 'war' concerning someone who is a TS. Could see how and why various persons had feelings about it all...didn't agree or disagree. I spent time chatting with the woman at various times and she is nice and very professional in her skills of labor so I have alot of respect for her.

Marissa
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

I think it is getting way better than ever, certainly everywhere within the U.S. I travel quite a bit, interacting with local folk, and find that pretty much everywhere more and more of 'em don't give a damn about CD's/TG's/Ts's.

I also notice some posts here that seem to combine acceptance with passing. Acceptance is what occurs when someone isn't passing.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Junior Member Alice-n-wonderland's Avatar
    Wow, that biomotionlab demo is really cool. There is however like everyone is aware of that there are extremes to everything. Have seen some really masculine ladies as far as their walk. Hardly ever do I see a lady that has a very feminine walk. And when you do you cant take your eyes off of them.

Aspiring Member
    When did this pendulum suddenly swing? Perhaps it's just this thread because things don't change that rapidly.
    And don't confuse acceptance with tolerance.

I'm with Sometimes Miss on this one.
    The 90 plus percent are very easily read and there still exists an excellent chance you'll get laughed at, beat up, or worse.
    Remember the story of the king and his new clothes. Put away the pink fog and use some common sense for heaven's sake!

Platinum Member
    Hi Kim ,We are making in-roads little by little.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I think perhaps one of the real oddball things in this concept, is the media; in the somewhat recent past, there have been several movies, tv shows, etc., where males have crossdressed and suppossedly passed easily as women, 'fooling' all the other characters in the show easily. A few would be 'White chicks', 'Big momma'a house', 'Tootsie', 'Just one of the girls', of course lets not forget Wong Foo, go back for 'Some like it hot', 'Juwanna Mann', 'Mrs Doubtfire', 'Sorority boys', 'Nuns on the run', And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. NONE OF THOSE CHARACTERS WOULD PASS. NONE. It's fiction, but far too many people see stuff like that and think to themselves, 'Gee, they pass so easily, so can I'.
    As far as women who aren't very feminine, or don't 'walk' feminine, those aren't the only clues that tell you what sex someone is. Head shape, nose, jaw, neck, shoulder width compared to waist and hips, HANDS & FEET, condition of your nails, wrist size too, curve of spine accentuated by butt, how someone turns their head, what they do with their hair, ear size and shape (LOTS of girls ears stick out because of years of tucking their long hair behind their ears), the list goes on and on. It only takes noticing ONE thing to make you look for the rest.
    Oh. And lets not forget voice. I'd estimate that only about 0.1% can do a female voice without ever slipping and giving themselves away. Just go to youtube and listen to the CD & TS 'girls'.
    If you haven't started hormones before you've reached puberty, there will be lots of things about you that will quickly give you away. Unless, of course, you remain in the Pink fog! Then you can happily pass forever.

Platinum Member
    My point, lest it be lost in discussions on whether or not a male might pass as female is this: my recent conversation with my son illustrates that in youth culture and corporate settings, gender variants are increasingly accepted...this has nothing to do with pass or not, since in this case the person was not attempting to do so. Rather, it's about how society is changing for the better.

As Barb, Persephone, states above, "Acceptance is what occurs when one isn't passing."
    Last edited by kimdl93; 03-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you kimdl and Persephone for pointing out that this thread is not about passing but about acceptance. I pay a lot of attention to the way that youth and the fashion industry think because that affects my business and I assure you that everything is changing among college educated youth, the fashion industry and advertizing. For the latter, fashion and business have realized that money is to be made by selling beyond the gender binaries. Although there is still a large group of businesses that sell by gendered advertising, oh you know blue for boys pink for girls, many businesses have started to understand they can make more money by selling across genders. This is being driven by the remarkable relaxation of gender codes among college educated youth, for which we have to thank the effect of gender studies across many disciplines. Change is here and increasing. You can certainly still get killed or harmed for being gender nonconforming. It happens every week in the USA but these are now uncommon incidents and socially disapproved. This is an incredible change from just a few years ago when institutional oppression of transgender minorities was the rule.

Platinum Member
    Btw, I believe that the change gained momentum when Jerry Seinfeld said those immortal words,"Not that there is anything wrong with that." I am telling you all, that simple declaration set in motion tectonic changes in our attitudes towards gender and sexual variance.

Eleanor Roosevelt