Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guilt, shame -huh?

Guilt, shame -huh?

I can understand how many of us could feel perplexed about dressing, but I never really fealt bad or guilty about my dressing. It was just something I did. Somehow I instictively knew that I couldn't share with others. Nobody ever told me that I was doing something wrong. I always wanted to understand what this was all about, but never really fealt guilty or ashamed. This is just somthing private that I do for me. Kinda selfish, but true. You should only feel guilty if you're doing somthing wrong. How could this be wrong?

Banned Read only
    I think the guilt and the shame are the crux of the matter for a goodly percentage here...and ultimately what led many to "full/er" dressing as the "itch" waned.

Our brains do this MANY times a day with all manner of things to protect us from ourselves. It's well documented and aptly illustrated every single episode of NGCs Brain Games. They just did a really bang up article a couple of months ago in the mag and talked about the Jennifer Anniston gene. They also chose to post ONE bad picture of her to prove a point and to see if anyone was paying attention I believe.
    Last edited by Wildaboutheels; 03-29-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Banned Read only
    Normally, one has shame for anything that one can not share freely. That can be overeating, hoarding, cross dressing, etc. As a 7 year old, I knew that cross dressing must be "wrong" or "bad." I knew the rules about boys and girls, I didn't know why, but I knew the rules. I suspect in your very early years, there was a seed of shame.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani0948 View Post
    but I never really fealt bad or guilty about my dressing. It was just something I did.
    me too...its not that big a deal to me either...i can see why though for some it is I guess it depends on how & where you grew up somewhat ....

That's true, but for myself there was guilt and after every time, there was that never going to be a next time promise. When I told my wife and after talking and teller her were I wanted to go with the dressing was the day the guilt ended. She told me that there was nothing wrong with me and just enjoy it, and that I wasn't harming nobody and to enjoy and have fun and if there was anything I needed to ask her. A new world opened up, actually dressing and enjoying it and afterwards no guilt.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    It's probably easier for those of us who found our feminine selves long after becoming adults (I was 55). For my wife and me it was an intense curiosity and an adventure. It was finding out who I really was, and by corollary who we had been and were to become.

It's just natural and exciting, and one more thing that the two of us share.

If I had faced this alone as an adolescent, I think I'd probably be relating a different story.

I grew up Catholic, they sneak the guilt in at baptism, and funnily enough i get a bigger buzz from dressing when i feel guilty about it. Buddhism helped cure the guilt and self hatred. Self acceptance made my while life work better. I'm so glad you skipped the guilt Dani.

Guilt and shame comes from our upbringing, it is indoctrinated in us.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I've always associated the guilt feelings with a religious upbringing. I had a religious upbringing and I remember being taught how simply being born made me a bad person - the whole "born a sinner" thing, like what did we ever do? Didn't "ask" to be born, you know. It's like stepping up to the plate with a full count on you already. I learned later on that this sort of indoctrination is wrong, being made to feel bad or guilty for something you have absolutely no control over - like being born, or crossdressing. That sort of indoctrination is a measure of control over others, to keep them coming back (and putting money in the offering plates) for more on "How one day you 'might' eventually be worthy but if you even think you're worthy for one second (hubris) then you're guilty of sin again"... what a way to raise children, to teach them that from the day they're born that they're rotten to the core.

I'm so glad I tossed those shackles off long ago. I am MUCH happier these days.
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Untitled
    As a kid, I also suffered from "Catholic Syndrome." I struggled with huge guilt -- not from crossdressing, exactly, but from masturbation. I was told it was a mortal sin that could send you straight to hell. Crossdressing and cross-gender behavior, like playing with makeup, often did lead me to masturbate, but somehow my mind was able to keep those things separate. Of course I knew that discovery could bring down a holocaust of hatred and rejection, so I kept the CD stuff hidden, but somehow I never considered it to actually be a *sin*. Happily, over time, I grew up and discarded the parts of my background that were based on magic and superstition, and learned to accept myself if far from perfect, at least not a predestined resident of Hellfire Acres. :-)

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Normally, one has shame for anything that one can not share freely. That can be overeating, hoarding, cross dressing, etc. As a 7 year old, I knew that cross dressing must be "wrong" or "bad." I knew the rules about boys and girls, I didn't know why, but I knew the rules. I suspect in your very early years, there was a seed of shame.
    I learned how not to be effeminate very early in life. Nature, that prankster, put some decidedly female preferences in a decidedly male body. But from my earliest recollections I understood that whatever I was doing...that I don't fully recall...was clearly NOT acceptable behavior for a very young boy. So I most certainly felt guilty, definitely felt shame and most assuredly learned to hide or repress or deny any behavior I thought might betray my secret.

For those who have never felt guilt or shame, you're lucky. It's not fun.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Guilt? Shame? Nope, Never.
    Obviously we all grew up in different situations. Crossdressing with my sisters was always fun. Fun as a goof & just innocent childhood games.
    Why would me crossdressing in private not still be fun? I dressed in my room when they were not around to play our dressup games, so I had my own dressup games.
    Croosdressing while young was fun & still fun now as an adult.
    Puberty is a whole different subject for all of us.

No shame or guilt here. I ador dressing as a woman 24/7.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Banned Read only
    Dani, I went back and read a lot of your initiated postings. For someone who felt/feels no guilt or shame about cross dressing, you sure do a lot to conceal it. You're two years younger than I. Back in the 1960's and 1970's there wasn't any broad discussions concerning cross dressing, and, and there was absolutely zero acceptance for any relationship other than heterosexual marital sex.

My formative years were a trying time for me. I'd make a wager anyone reaching manhood in the 1960's and 1970's would have been dealing with a lot of sexual conflict within themselves.

I never did have a problem with or feel guilty about CDing myself. I did go to a therapist but the reason was to figure out how to deal with family and friends that did have a problem with it.The end result gave me the ability to manage my feelings and my life.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member

t.e.d. talk by Brene Brown

There is a very enlightening T.E.D. talk about guild and shame that is really an eye opener. It is about 20 minutes and well worth the time to view.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown...ning_to_shame#

and her talk about vulnerability
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability
    JUST a crossdresser

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa_59 View Post
    I've always associated the guilt feelings with a religious upbringing. I had a religious upbringing and I remember being taught how simply being born made me a bad person - the whole "born a sinner" thing, like what did we ever do? Didn't "ask" to be born, you know. It's like stepping up to the plate with a full count on you already. I learned later on that this sort of indoctrination is wrong, being made to feel bad or guilty for something you have absolutely no control over - like being born, or crossdressing. That sort of indoctrination is a measure of control over others, to keep them coming back (and putting money in the offering plates) for more on "How one day you 'might' eventually be worthy but if you even think you're worthy for one second (hubris) then you're guilty of sin again"... what a way to raise children, to teach them that from the day they're born that they're rotten to the core.

I'm so glad I tossed those shackles off long ago. I am MUCH happier these days.
    I was raised like this too and at first I thought it was garbage now not so sure. Afterall you don't have to teach a child to be bad. Their selfish little brats at the core. I love children but this is what they bring with them into the world. Think of all the sin you've done in life.

Non-Binary / Two-Spirit
    For me... there certainly was a time in my life when I felt those feeling and messages. And for myself it was not a fun feeling at all especially when it relates to a secret that your hiding at all costs. But over time and much study I realized these messages were wrong. It taught me to not just take someones word or a groups word for what is. That it is my responsibility to seek the truth for my own life and live it.

This helped me to accept who I am and live a happier life without guilt or shame for being a CD / TG. Life also gave me the opportunities to end the power that secret had on my life and be open about who I to family and friends.

Guilt to Acceptance.
    Shame to Pride
    Secret to Openness

Last edited by sanderlay; 03-30-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Spelling - secret
    Don't suppress who you are inside your heart. Let the world know how special you really are. Don't forget to smile as you share. It will come through in your beautiful words.

Your Sister/Brother,
    Debbie/Steve

I have never felt guilty about my dressing.. never!

However, I have felt and still feel worried about what my dressing could do to other people's lives, in my case.. my parents' lives. To me, worry and guilt are not the same.. but I could see that some might argue that they are related.

Also, if you have been explicitly told by an authority (parents, family, church, etc.) that dressing up is wrong.. and you have been told this your whole life, then I completely can understand that one feels very guilty about dressing up. It's a sad reality for a lot of CD's.. actually, for a lot of LGBTQ's out there! And this has led to awful stories with horrible endings.
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

I don't feel any guilt in my actual crossdressing however where I do feel it is because I'm dressing behind my SO's back and in a way I feel like I'm cheating on her.

I know she loves me very much and I feel the same way about her. I am not willing or ready at this stage to risk Davina coming between us.

So for now I'll only dress when I know there is no risk of my secret being discovered and deal with the guilt.

Davina
    x

Guilt or shame are words that are too strong for how I feel, really. What I feel is a sadness that this is something I feel I have to hide and cannot be freely. Which I think is probably feelings that most of us can relate to. The clothes don't make me feel bad at all, they make me feel good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~Stacie~

I do feel ashamed and guilty at times. I guess I just get the feeling that there's something wrong with me.
    I don't know why.

I was made to feel guilty by my last X wife, but then I found out later that she had been cheating from day one and was bipolar, so my being bi-gendered was just another tool to use to manipulate. After getting out of that situation I came to realize that I've always been this way back much earlier than I even initially remembered and have come to terms with myself. Definitely a double edged sword.. It truly is a gift being able to be either gender, and being able to understand so much, but not without a price. Of course I am happy to be able to experience the best of both worlds and will gladly take whatever comes with it!

Well, I felt guilt and shame for a very long time. Mainly because I saw LOTS of gay and lesbian couples, but never transgender people. What made it even worse was I'm still attracted to females, and thinking at being trans was some sort of hyper gayness. Nothing ever made sense.

Having been out in the trans community gave me an enormous understanding of what being transgender really is.

And to Dani0948's original post...... being in my 20's, wearing sexy panties, having shaved legs, and painted toes under my jeans, you know, having this dark secret while talking to attractive girls made me feel tremendously inadequate. I felt like dirt.
    Being in your 20's is a very high pressure time socially.

Quote Originally Posted by bimini1 View Post
    I was raised like this too and at first I thought it was garbage now not so sure. Afterall you don't have to teach a child to be bad. Their selfish little brats at the core. I love children but this is what they bring with them into the world. Think of all the sin you've done in life.
    That selfishness is a survival instinct. I saw it with my children when they were babies, you put three of them on the floor and one of them will end up with the bottles of the other two pretty soon. If a parent doesn't take the time to teach a child morals and responsibility then sure, they'll be selfish little brats as you suggested. But morals do not come exclusively from religion. You can teach someone to do the right thing without the threat of "eternal damnation" hanging over them. It's called maturing.

If the only time people do the right thing is because they're afraid that SkyDaddy will punish them, then they seriously need to grow up and do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.
    ~Linebacker Melissa