Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality vs Quantity

Banned Read only
    What I've learned from magazine Like Lou Lou, and Chatelaine and TV shows is to really think about "ensembles" when I buy something.
    I love thrift shopping for classics, but my rule of thumb is that it's not a bargain if you can't use/wear it.
    I have my measurements on a card in my wallet and I shop with a tape measure.
    Filling your closet with frivolously purchased items saps your cash and makes it harder to get out of that closet!

I suffer from similar tendencies. One thing that helped was having my wife decide what I should wear, another story. Now I've got new stuff numbered, and will pick one at random and wear it. Always more fun than just knowing it it there i the closet.

Since CD has an element of secrecy, it is way too easy to fall into the fear of loss mindset- and grab anything and everything when the opportunity arrives.

One of the turning points was when I finally bought a cheer outfit. Not a costume. Costumes are cheap & flimsy. After too many years, I splurged one halloween. "Only" $200 or so, including thin streamer poms- (like they had in the 70's & 80's) a skirt & shell with nice trim and piping. I put the name of my wife's alma mater on it, along with her school's colors... When my wife first saw the uniform- she was impressed- heavy quality material, well sewn and fitted. SO worth it.

Pretty much now I'll restrict dresses or outfits to costing a fair amount- medium upscale i guess. Never been unhappy with the purchase- in fact, even having shopper's remorse for not saving the money and getting something even nicer!

Yes, fad -wear is fun, but quality classics are worth investing in.

I often wish I could go back in time and be a bit smarter about purchases...

I wish I had like 1/3 or 1/4 the amount of stuff I have but just the best stuff and then only buy really nice or special things

hate feeling like it's a compulsion or addiction and yeah just collecting clothes that may not fit that well or look wrong

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    I agree with the basic premise that Jennifer makes. I have. Too much stuff and have been contnually buy more. I do go through and mostly donate old stuff I don't need anymore.

I will readily admit I have a lot of stuff... and when I moved 3 years ago.. I did get rid of a lot of clothes that I had in my possession for years, sometimes even more than 10. Nowadays, I do try think in terms of complete outfits and ensembles.. what could go with what?

Realising that a cute LBD can be worn in 5 different ways by using different belts, scarves, shrugs and shoes has saved me quite some money and wardrobe space.

However, I still prefer to buy cheap except for shoes since I don't want ruin my feet (I'm already walking in 4 or 5 inch heels.. no reason to exacerbate the situation. So most of my dresses are still under 20 euros unless it’s something really really special.

I just can’t spend a 100 dollar on a dress knowing that I want to mix it up every time!
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

I own more bras than my ex-wife, and three different sized breast forms, and that's just for starters......