Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: She said no way was her son going to put on an Elsa dress

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Aspiring Member

She said no way was her son going to put on an Elsa dress

Apparently this is a Disney character popular right now. I eat lunch with a group of 30-something women. One just got back from Disneyworld and said her son wanted to dress as Elsa. She said that is where I draw the line. No way are you going to put on a dress.
    I felt poorly. This is what I come to the lunch table to hear on a semi-regular basis. I wanted to crawl under the table. Had to just grin and bear it. Can't blame her either. There is no way out. It's not going to be accepted any time soon is it?

Banned Read only
    You could tell her there is nothing wrong with it. You could make a stand. You wouldn't even have to out yourself. If we sit in silence, you are right, nothing will ever change.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    You could tell her there is nothing wrong with it. You could make a stand. You wouldn't even have to out yourself. If we sit in silence, you are right, nothing will ever change.
    Could it be I didn't say anything because I don't firmly believe there is nothing wrong with it myself? Is it possible to be trans and transphobic at the same time?

What got me most of all is that in previous conversations with this woman, she comes off as being the most liberal of the bunch.

Could it be I'm the one that has a long way to go?

You probably suffer from the stage fright many of us get when it comes to speaking out or showing ourselves out. Do not think the amount of the fright is proportional to age either.

Being a CD is not easy, for many.

Many of us started this life long adventure from simply putting on something like a dress for the first time.

Telling a parent there is nothing wrong with it could open her mind, but it could also start the boy on a journey he'd rather not be on. However, if he is already inclined to CD, then opening her mind could result in a kid having a happier life.
    DonnaT

Aspiring Member
    I don't disagree with nor can I tell her how to raise a boy child. It was just the attitude and perceived vitriol she said it with.
    I let it get under my skin. She got me at a bad time. I briefly slipped back into victimhood. Just one of those moments when I am tired of trying to defend this even to myself.
    Last edited by bimini1; 03-31-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Elsa is the Snow Queen in Frozen.

What if he wanted to wear a Cinderella dress? Or Mulan? Or Robin Hood (he wore tights after all), Merida????

Where does she draw the line?

I would say yes it is possible to be trans and transphobic at the same time. It is very common here. the number of people who feel guilt over dressing is high
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by bimini1 View Post
    Could it be I didn't say anything because I don't firmly believe there is nothing wrong with it myself? Is it possible to be trans and transphobic at the same time?
    Sure, internalized self hatred runs rampant around here. I'd guess most of us suffer from it to one degree or another.

What got me most of all is that in previous conversations with this woman, she comes off as being the most liberal of the bunch.
    How people feel about things in public compared with how they feel about it in their private lives are often very different. Hypocrisy knows no political allegiance. And hey, plenty of liberals are transphobic.

We all do, hon, we all do. I know that was scary and very uncomfortable to hear. You opted for survival by keeping your mouth shut, an understandable strategy.

I briefly slipped back into victimhood.
    We are all of us victims of a very cruel society.

Yes you can be trans and trans-phobic, we have been wired since we were young it hard to un-wire and it takes time don't beat your self because you did not say anything, next time, or down the road you might or never. The thing is we are all thinking about it now and how we might act, that is what is importation. Thank you

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    It's like revealing you crossdress to a very liberal wife. It's easy to be supportive and liberal... Until it's your husband or child that needs the support and understanding. That's why she reacted so poorly; it's her child behaving outside the norms.

I do regret that you feel you are trans phobic despite being trans. That's most unfortunate. I do hope that you find balance and understanding in your own situation.

"These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    [QUOTE=bimini1;3476428]Could it be I didn't say anything because I don't firmly believe there is nothing wrong with it myself? Is it possible to be trans and transphobic at the same time?

I find that the most liberal of the bunch are the ones that are the least understanding when it comes to others opinions.
    I see it everyday and don't mind to make it known to them how hypocritical they sound.
    I have a friend that says he is for equal rights and yet gays and trans people are freaks an should be strung up.
    Apparently he pays no attention to the way I dress which I find hysterical.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-31-2014 at 11:38 PM.

All this talk about the Elsa dress, where can I get one, plus size 22?

I was at a girlfriends place when I was young, the girls wanted me to dress like them in pretty party frocks.
    They showed their mother the dress they wanted me to wear.
    The mother also said "no way", not in that dress it is too small.
    My face dropped immediately.

She then brought out a lovely party frock more to my size.
    I was elated.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

There are no easy answers in these situations. You have a few seconds to make a decision based on who is talking, how you feel, how you would word what you have to say, and the longer term implications based on how the others are the table would reaction. I think that most of us could look back on hundreds of scenarios where we wish we had said something or said something different, not only in terms of CD'ing but regarding people's comments about the genders, gays, the disabled, racial differences, and politics.
    Missed opportunity? Sure, but not the end of the world.

It will only be accepted when good-hearted people make a stand. There is nothing wrong with a little boy wanting to wear a dress, if it makes him happy then who cares. Of course it's not your place to tell her how to parent. But I have been in a similar situation with my guy friends and made a stand without outing myself in the process.

I want to dress as Elsa, there is one place in the movie, that Elsa does the most sexy walk I have ever seen in any movie. Great movie, also has made over a Billion since November.

Banned Read only
    If a parent encounters a request like that from a son I would think an inquiry should be made. The worst thing a parent could do is rail against any sexual minority. Putting down any sexual minority does not but foster hatred or disapproval. If a son has sexual identity issues, fostering a negative attitude will drive him into a closet from which he may never escape. The days of beating a kid into a societal mold are over.

There is a saying a friend a long time ago used: "You protest too much!" If the coworker is so against her son wearing the attire of a cartoon young woman, what's really bothering her? Her husband is a cross dresser? Her mother's marriage was destroyed by cross dressing?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    There is a saying a friend a long time ago used: "You protest too much!" If the coworker is so against her son wearing the attire of a cartoon young woman, what's really bothering her? Her husband is a cross dresser? Her mother's marriage was destroyed by cross dressing?
    She doesn't understand gender. She was raised to believe "real men don't wear dresses". She wants her boy child to grow up to be that kind of man. There is no reason to read _anything_ further into this woman's attitude.

Deedee

I find it tough to argue with females about anything. It's like I can never get an upper hand on them.
    Maybe the reason we're all CDs is that we are tired of being wrong every time we disagree with a woman? Uh, oh, that's probably going to get me in trouble. Oh, well - it's a joke!

Deedee

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    Yes society is harsh, I'm closeted for these very reasons but at that age?
    We don't know the kid's age, but who is crueler to a 8 year old who is different than the other 8 year olds around him/her? I was practically driven to tears because I was the first boy in my grade who had to wear glasses. Is it wrong to want to protect your son from being bullied?

Deedee
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-01-2014 at 12:20 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts, when responding to multiple post use multiquote or edit please Thanks
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Non-Binary / Two-Spirit
    An Inspirational Character Worthy of Imitation

I have not seen the movie Frozen (2013). But after watching the You Tube link Lorileah shared in post #9 I was truly inspired. I will be looking for the DVD when it comes.

I can certainly see how this fictional character has inspired a child, or anyone for that mater, and how they might want to imitate them. The confidence portrayed, and the lyrics, is electric in the song "Let It Go."

I do see change happening for the better, especially in the last few years, as I look on the web. I think it will be easier for those with this special gift to be themselves as time goes on. We still have a long way to go but I am encouraged.
    Don't suppress who you are inside your heart. Let the world know how special you really are. Don't forget to smile as you share. It will come through in your beautiful words.

Your Sister/Brother,
    Debbie/Steve

Personally I would have said something but I completely understand why you didn't. Also don't be too hard on yourself about not saying anything. Kids these days are a lot more exposed to everything, the good and the bad 8 guess. So there's a fair chance that child will find his own way by the time he can seriously think about it. It's a shame about his mother...

Wow 8 love the dress though <3

I wonder if she would let her son play with dolls? My guess would be yes, because most parents understand kids need to use their imagination sometimes. (That is apples and oranges, but still.)

Apparently this is a Disney character popular right now. I eat lunch with a group of 30-something women. One just got back from Disneyworld and said her son wanted to dress as Elsa. She said that is where I draw the line. No way are you going to put on a dress. //
    Had to look it up. I don't think I could pull it off, anyway....

Lexi, I think you could. That is a gorgeous dress though I don't see the slit....giggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexi_83 View Post
    Had to look it up. I don't think I could pull it off, anyway....
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-01-2014 at 12:16 AM. Reason: didn't need photo

Aspiring Member
    The mother didn't want her boy wearing a dress - that's not transphobia!! That's called parenting. She's guiding him in the ways of our current society as any mother would. We don't know that she doesn't allow him to dress secretly at home or whether she's just venting to friends as we women do - not actually thinking anyone expects her to change the world at the same time.

She may or may not be transphobic, but there's plenty of transparanoia here!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell-GG View Post
    The mother didn't want her boy wearing a dress - that's not transphobia!!
    I'm sorry, hon, but that is totally transphobic. Many of us can recite long litanies of cruelties we endured from our parents who didn't want us to dress.

She's guiding him in the ways of our current society as any mother would.
    Our current society is sick. Sorry - but it is. This is not a behavioral problem that has to be "corrected". It is a childhood medical condition that is generally ignored because society hates it, and would rather pretend it didn't exist.

She may or may not be transphobic, but there's plenty of transparanoia here!
    You outnumber us by 3000 to 1. Or maybe it's more like 15000 to 1. We have plenty of cause for paranoia, Tinkerbell - it's well justified.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 03-31-2014 at 03:37 PM.