Thread: A Long Time Ago

A Long Time Ago

In 1978 I was on a business trip to California, by myself, and I was staying at a motel near Disney Land. The motel had a Denny;s resturant nearby and after a long day I returned to my room took a shower. After the shower I needed to be "Arlene" and I was also hungry. Well I went over to Denny's enfemme and was treated very nicely by staff and the customers that I came in contact with. A group of 5-6 males entered the Dennys after I arrived and sat down at the counter where I was sitting. One of them said "Hi" to me and that started a conversation, which was very pleasant. No jokes, snide remarks by him or any member of his group. A very nice time was had, certainly by me. A post by another member, in the last few minutes (Carmen) mentioned that she and her friend were treated well at a Denny;s recently. Her post reminded me of this event, an event that I hadn't thought of in years. Back them my female name qas "Maureen Fleming" so I need "Maureen" time not "Arlene" time before I retired for the night.
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 04-02-2014 at 11:45 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    That's Very Cool, Arlene! ♥

The guy obviously knows the Cat's Eye Diva when he sees her!

Nice story. I dunno...while I've not liked some of their food (can't get them to make good 'crispy' bacon ) I've found that at least several always seemed to keep good wait staff. I live within a mile of one and have gone there every once in awhile.. Unsure of true cause and effect but the majority of them are nicer older ladies. (Cause and effect being maybe they weed out the more 'unworking or unpleasant' in the younger ones that they hire...).
    And the atmosphere/clientele are a bit better...Around here (SE MI) late night restaurant offerings are limited. But I think the majority of 'young'uns" tend to focus more on the 24hr coney places than the regular Denny's. Sure Denny's gets their fare share of annoying twits... But usually it's not as bad with the youth. Or at least their youth that can be more 'adult'....
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

Arlene,
    It's always nice to reflect.
    I do it all the time here.
    There are so many events posted by others giving the mind that instant recall.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Nice story Arlene! But for me, selfishly, I guess, hearing tales from girls that have been out for years, while I am so happy for them, makes my heart break a little ... for all the time I wasted not being out. Sorry...but this brought me to tears this morning, honey.
    Shoot...sorry to be a downer. It is just the thought of all the many many girls there are sitting in hotel rooms or at home, afraid or unable to get out...I just know that life so well, and what a hollow life it can be...I just want to grab them and hug them, every single one.
    Never mind...just Sammie being silly I guess....I am so happy to be out now, and so very happy for everyone else who is as well.
    Thanks for the story, Arlene!

A very nice story Arlene especially for the times. May you make many more wonderful memories.

Kelley
    The minute you think of giving up think of the reason you held on for so long

In today's hyper connected world, we only need to speak to our smart phone to get answers to nearly any question.
    Did anyone else notice that Arlene was able to do that before the World Wide Web (1989) or even the IBM PC (1981)?

WOW! Arlene you're amazing.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Aspiring Member
    Nice story Arlene! I used to work with a very mature (not old) woman who once worked the graveyard shift at a Denny's. We were talking one day and she told me that the staff saw everything imaginable. Our presentations would be mundane to what she saw. She even saw folks who just came from a screening of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show." I think she knew or had suspicions about me because she brought it up. The bottom line for her and the staff was to treat everyone well. The better they did, the larger the tips!

Cheryl

I've eaten alone at Dennys late at night several times without incident. Every time the waitress has been friendly and chatty. I really don't worry about staff when I venture into the straight world, it's the other customers and passersby that are the wild cards. No one at Dennys has ever hassled me or behaved rudely.

Thank you ladies for your thoughts on my recollections. I had not thought of this event in years.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I don't remember how I was dressed, but I'm sure my trusty cat's eye frames were on my nose. About 3/4 of the female eye wear that I have purcashed over the year has been in the style.

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Deep in the Heart of Texas..okay..DFW area
    Quote Originally Posted by samantha rogers View Post
    Nice story Arlene! But for me, selfishly, I guess, hearing tales from girls that have been out for years, while I am so happy for them, makes my heart break a little ... for all the time I wasted not being out. Sorry...but this brought me to tears this morning, honey.
    Shoot...sorry to be a downer. It is just the thought of all the many many girls there are sitting in hotel rooms or at home, afraid or unable to get out...I just know that life so well, and what a hollow life it can be...I just want to grab them and hug them, every single one.
    Never mind...just Sammie being silly I guess....I am so happy to be out now, and so very happy for everyone else who is as well.
    Thanks for the story, Arlene!
    Samatha, its okay to feel what you do.. to feel for others..to cry..to shed a tear..but behind ur tears u have hope..hope that others read this and know its ok..to venture..as Arlene did years ago.. like a half century ago.. j/k.. maybe one.. will read and do it.. venture out.. to what is now "the 70". Can't wait to hear their story in 2020...lol..

Arlene..thank you for sharing.. yeah..Park Ridge..been there, done that.. .
    Marissa

"You better look hard and look twice,
    ...is that me, baby or just a brilliant disguise?"- The Boss

Marissa,
    I first went out enfemme in 1968, I first "dressed circa 1954-'55, and I've been living as a lady since 2003. No hormones, surgery, ect. I just "wing it."

I'm Always Rainbow Proud