Thread: What To Wear To A Job Interview?

What To Wear To A Job Interview?

[SIZE="3"]I'm starting to get a few interviews offers for potential jobs now. Thinking about what to wear, I was wondering whether I would jepordise my chances if I wore femme clothing.

I'm not talking a dress, stilettos or makeup, just low key stuff like a pair of black ladies pants, a blouse (coloured - not necessarily white), maybe some low 'court' shoes (pumps for US girls), and perhaps a femme body spray? Not an appearance that is overtly femminine, but certainly androdgenous!

Getting the job is more important that wearing some femme clothes to the interview. Once I have a job, I can then slowly blend in my girly stuff into daily workwear. And no, I don't want to pass or appear as a female at the interview, it would be in drab mode with some fundamental womens clothing if I choose this option.

But I REALLY REALLY REALLY need employment so bad, I just don't want to risk a job because of an urge to dress enfemme (even if it is just the basics) in front of an employer on interview day!
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Clare; 01-12-2006 at 03:25 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love And Devotion To My Online Family

I'm outa the closet, but still inda house!

Unhappy Rita Says

You must be trying to pull my leg, If your not, then forget all about the FEM stuff and go after the job.

Rita
    Green with Envy

Well i always say go with your first feelings.If you need a job really really bad i would definitly just go fully in drab no fem anything. now if there policies are go as you please and they have no proublems with it than id say after your probation period sure Id start dressing a bit more fem.Its better that you get your foot in the door rather than having it closed on it xxxxxxx

Research the company first. What industry is it in? Fashion? Finance? Law? Entertainment? What do other people dress like there?

I like to wear high heels (but retain my original birth sex appearance as a man) and I totally understand your situation. Im going to law school. Lets say I wear high heels to class on a full time basis. This is my dream.

But the sad reality is that my co-students will also possibly be big links to jobs. Then, when it comes down to all other things being equal except for the shoes, the shoes will be my undoing.

*sigh*

Your longing to wear feminine clothing in public and around others, and to gain the acceptance thereof, is clouding your thinking. If you want employment, you have to present yourself as a person that the employer will take seriously. If you wear feminine black pants, or pumps, or both, or a blouse, you'll be screaming at the potential employer, "Hey, hire me. I've got issues!" Part of you knows this already. So pull your head out of your fantasy land, come down to earth, and go interview like a man.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Hello Clare ~
    We keep bumping into each other everywhere, don't we ?
    My feelings would be to seriously go after the job in drab, underdress if you'd like. If you need employment really bad, then don't risk the door being closed before you get your foot inside, so to speak. Once you get employment, then you would be in a position to start incorporating femme or androgynous dress styles over a period of time. Just a suggestion. Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.

Kim

To be blunt, and based solely on the information you provided in your comment, this is my opinion. If you want the job, don't jeopardize your chances by caving into your desire to dress. If your need to dress is so important that you would risk your economic future then your dressing is starting to rule your life, like a compulsion or addiction. You need to find a way to control your urges.

Julia

HI..going to second what everybody here has said, if you want employment do what you need to do to get hired. You do not say what sort of job it is. Some jobs are more flexible about self expression then others. I mean are we talking a cool record store ? or a cubicle office enviroment? is there interaction with clients or customers? If you come off too left of center you might not get hired.

If you work there for a period of time and feel that it is a liberal place and people are open minded and cool, you may be able to push the envelope, but if you do it right off the bat, most bosses will not go for it.

I worked in a higher end retail place and even though I am not a cd, I like to do some pretty wild things with my hair. When I got hired I knew it would take time to prove my skills and myself to my bosses. Once I reached that comfort zone I started letting more of my fun side show up. and no one cared, because by that time I had already proved that I was responsible and dependable.

I agree with everyone here, get the job first. The last thing you need is to be judged on your personal lifestyle and not on your abilities. Whoever is doing the hiring is also considering how someone fits in with other employees, if he or she sees something that can cause disruptions you will likely not be considered. Good luck on your interview.

Platinum Member
    well like every one said frist the job ...then see were you go from there ...

This can't be a serious question.

It's far too stupid.

"I need employment so bad"....Der!!....Well go dressed like a pillock then why not...Der!

Seriously....

I don't believe the world is quite ready for that approach, just yet....

But it's a good fantasy.......

I suggest going en drab like the other ladies have said especially if you need a job so badly.

i have been on interviews and wore panties and pantyhose. That's it though

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.

You're joking, Right?!

[SIZE="4"]Are you serious??? [/SIZE]
    Clearly getting a job is #1 consideration. Once you have the job, make sure you research the company's rules, particularly their "dress code". Then ponder the value of the job to you and then make a calculated decision.
    Good Luck with that!
    "I reject your reality and sustitute my own!" Mythbusters

"I don't make the waves, I just ride them."

[SIZE="3"]Yes i'm serious or I wouldn't have asked the question!

Still, the responses are fairly consistant - go drab! So be it!

I have no problem with underdressing - pantyhose etc, it's just that I thought less obvious femme clothes such as black slacks would be ok. I also have double pierced earrings and some femme jewellery which would have been a give-away even if the clothes weren't noticed!

Maybe I was just being a little too over-confident in trying the femme androdgenous look!

As they say, you never know until you try!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love And Devotion To My Online Family

I'm outa the closet, but still inda house!

I just recently accepted a new position at a company, and I dressed the part (dress shirt/tie/slacks). I usually dont' have luck with getting jobs on a first interview (I.E. apply apply, interview interview, finally someone likes me). I think the key to getting a job is not only being comfortable and knowledgable, but to be relaxed and throwing in a little small talk "yeah I just hate it when my computer crashes", or "yeah the commute is pretty bad on this highway, it's getting to the point where we need those flying cars!" :-)

I'm happy to say that just a year ago I was only making $34k, and now I'm making $48k.. not bad to get a 30% increase in pay in such a short period of time. For anyone that thinks there isn't better jobs out there, you just have to be patient and look around.