Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you wish to be perceived?

Gone to live my life

How do you wish to be perceived?

This post is more directed at the TG/CD side of the house as our reasons for dressing (in whatever manner) vary in response to our perception internally (self) or externally (world). However while I am fully cognizant that for our TG/TS sisters it is not so much perception as it is about correcting mismatched gender, I also welcome your responses if you so desire. In addition, this is not limited to those who go out or dress/present a specific way but everyone regardless of presentation.

Yesterday a GG friend of ours came for dinner and the topic of my weird panic attack came up. Now this GG friend has been out with me as Isha on several occasions so she was a bit surprised at the panic attack. She thought perhaps the odd look really challenged how I wish to be perceived externally (the world writ large). When I got such a hated look it brought home the reality that I was perceived as a guy and momentarily short circuited my resolve. Plausible I thought but then I have never perceived myself as anything but a guy dressed as a girl.

So I was thinking about that comment this morning and thought . . . Do I really wish to be perceived as a woman when I am out in the world? I mean I always talk about blending, I employ the subtle art of camouflage when out and about (girl clothes, wig, make-up, walk, mannerisms) all designed to present female. If I interact with people I soften my voice to make it sound more female. I have even gone as far as laser beard reduction to ease the use of make-up. But do I really want people to perceive me as female. My internal perception (what I see when I look in the mirror) is all boy. Externally . . .hmmm . . . food for thought.

If I take all the things I do in order to appear female when out and about then a prima facie case can be made that externally I wish people to perceive me as a woman. However, the internalized perception (boy) is strong and let's face it I am fooling nobody when I have to interact or people come in closer for inspection. So even though I am going to great lengths to appear female, I know I am not nor will I ever be or to my current knowledge want to be a woman (no insult to GGs or TS gals intended). But still, part of me has a desire to be seen as a woman by others and why is that? Perhaps it is validation for all the hard work that goes into my presentation or who knows a deep seated wish to be female ( slightly right of the CD line on the curve) and I have just not embraced that yet. Whatever the reason, I will have to admit that while I know I am not a woman, I do have a bit of a desire to seen as a woman when out if truth be told. However, I do not think of myself as a woman when out because I am a guy . . . make any sense?

So my question to you is . . . how do you perceive yourself internally (self) when dressed and/or what is your wish for external perception (to the world) irrespective of whether you go out or not.

Hugs

Isha

Banned Read only
    Hi Isha,
    I guess you're going to get a range of answers but I suppose the more we push the envelope the more highs we get, your panic attack maybe caught you out and knocked you off a high, it certainly caught you unaware ! I accept that I have a female side and have to try and satisfy it but sometimes it swings me way out of my comfort zone and I also accept my Cding was and still is sexual so I know there is always an end point when I get back to normal. I suppose if I look at like that I have no reason to be out, it will serve no useful purpose only possibly end up in a situation like yours.

Hmmm, very interesting thoughts, Isha. Something that a psychologist would have a good time with.

I certainly am not that person, I had all I could do to finish High School. but that is another story and another thread.

How do I wish to be perceived, I am just me, I wish to be seen however the see-er prefers to see me, I hope that they see a nice person, no matter how
    I am dressed, I know myself on the inside I am just a guy in a dress, Not trying to be a woman, not trying to talk, walk, or in any way act like a woman
    I am just me, a guy that prefers to dress in women's clothes.

If the world see a guy in a dress that is happy with himself, that would be great,
    Buut most likely they will see a guy in work clothes, that isn't so happy,
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

It's almost another form of the question: "Why do I do this?" Personally, I like the feeling it gives me of being a full spectrum person and being able to express my feelings and happiness.For all intents and purposes when I'm out en femme, I AM a woman. I challenge anyone to prove differently, the obvious plumbing notwithstanding. I never attempt to copy anyone else as I'm my own original female person. When I perform I DO lip synch but I give my own version of a song with my actions. Hell, I do a mini performance every time I dance at the club and usually have the floor to myself the first couple of hours(llke last night). I love what I do really, simple as that Isha. PS: The term I used with one person at the club last night was "Testosterone generated womanhood".
    Last edited by Kate Simmons; 04-06-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think most CD's would love to be perceived as female when we are dressed...but the grim reality for me is that I am built like a linebacker....sigh...I see all these younger girls here who can blend in better and think about what life would have been for me if I had all this knowledge back in my teens and early 20's...I am sure things would have been different!
    I am who I am....accept me and I will accept you.
    Karen
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Kate Simmons hit the nail on the head for me. I just love dressing enfemme.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    interesting thread...although for me it is way to early to think that much...i can say this...i personally am the same person no matter which way I am dressed...and feel this may come easier for those who live in areas where this in normal...like bigger cities...i noticed yesterday 4 guys who were dressed very androgynous and im using that word kindly...all they needed was heels and lipstick...i grew up partying with drag queens ...they are the same person....and i fell into that groove... a groove that says " hey..I'm me...it's ok...deal with it....im gunna do and dress how i want...

My answer is simple. When I am presenting as female, in my mind, I am female. When I'm out, I would like people to treat me as such.
    Last edited by Kim_Bitzflick; 04-06-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Hhen presenting as female I would like to be addressed as such however it is not the gender that I identify with so I will suck it up when I'm dressed and someone calls me sir.

AKKaren hit the target in the center for me. That is exactly how I am. I too wish I had started much earlier than I did.. So much time wasted hiding in a closed room. As I am now venturing out, I like to think of myself as female and try very hard to act the role. It is such a departure from daily life, almost like I have become a second person.

I think of myself as a "pretend woman". I do my best to look like a woman and act like a lady but I know that I am not really a woman. It is my hope that others will perceive me as a woman.
    Hugs, Carole

Heavy stuff for a weekend, but at least that first glass of cabernet has my varnished nails around it already...

OK - how do I perceive myself when dressed... Start with an understanding that in much of my regular life many aspects of Katey are supressed - so once the transformation is complete, my feminine side predominates in my mannerisms, posture, movement... but I don't think I've changed internally any perceptions, it's more like a segment of me that normally is held in check and invisible to the external world (but known to me) is suddenly back in place, completing the whole.
    What is my wish for external perception - I would like that initial perception (at least..) to be as female... and in most cases, of course, initial perception is just that fleeting, cursory glance that we give strangers - you know the sort of thing: nice clothes, nice hair - like those boots - now mind back on wherever I was going... If it's no more than that - then that's successful blending.

What I find is a little strange sometimes, when I'm reading or posting online here, I think of all you girls as... girls... I check myself sometime and have to think (with the exception of those who are GG and TS) - is that right? But of course it is - because isn't that the way that we want it to be?

I've said before that I'm certainly not an effeminate guy, but how can I possibly deny that I don't have a huge chunk of feminine in me tussling for airtime...? It's a mind bender - but the cabernet is helping...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

when I'm dressed I feel like an actress
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

I would love to be perceived as a woman all the time, regardless of how I'm presenting. I'm always disappointed when people call me "sir" in male mode. (Silly, I know.)

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I perceive my inner self as bigendered, with both male and female parts to my soul. When I present as Amy, I bring "her" to the foreground and "become" her. I look at myself in the mirror, dressed as Amy, and I think of myself as a woman. I would hope that people would perceive and treat me as such when I'm out; so far, they all seem to.

(I suppose, with my long hair in a ponytail and stud earrings, someone could perceive me as female even in male mode. If someone did do so, call me "ma'am" or some such, I wouldn't be offended, just amused.)

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Ok so I just had my second margarita, so I am good to go now

My thoughts is that I am 90% me 10% Gretchen. When I am out as her, internally I am female. This part has no obstacles in my way, as it is limitless in my head. My physical appearance is a major part of this , because I feel the makeup on my face, the hair from my wig on my neck, the breeze on my legs and it's makes the internal presentation complete.

Externally, I want to blend, and be out and about and socialize as much as possible. So when out, I dress age and event appropriate , but I do not wear sweats and a t-shirt to the mall, even though some GG do, because, I can just as well do this easily in male mode.

So, like you, there is only so much control we have over our external environment. It's doubly tough, because we don't want to be outed, but if we are so good at our external presentation and someone stares, is it because he/she spots a dude in a dress or does someone find us attractive, or admires our fashion sense. It really is a double edge sword.

On my last trip out, the best experience ever happened to me. I was on line, ordering food, when a woman with 2 small kids in front of me, turns to me and apologizes for taking so long. I respond in my best voice that it was no big deal, take your time. So now I have spoken, that's it, I am busted. But 20 seconds later, she starts general conversation with me today, the weather, kids, etc - just "girl talk". As I walked out I said to myself... This to me is the end game, the final destination, I don't want to be a woman full time, but when I want to be Gretch, I can do so (some days I will be clocked) , but there is hope

I think I want to be perceived as either a girl, or a convincing crossdresser when I'm all dolled up. I don't mind either way actually, because I am actually a crosdresser so I don't need to pretend I'm not. I'd like to think people don't see a "dude in a dress" but at least a dude that looks good in a dress.
    Internally it all depends on the day of the week, I'm a bit gender fluid; so sometimes I hate doing guy things, sometimes I love it. I'm always in "girl mode" before I want to get dressed up, so that's how I see myself. But occasionally I feel like a girl dressed as a guy. This is the most confusing part for me.

I like variety, Perception of myself in whatever mode I am dressed.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I want people to know I am a gender bender, but I want it to be apparent that my scale is tilted to feminine. Sure it would be easier if I was perceived as a GG, but besides the fact that I could never pull that off, GG is not who or what I am.

Isha - I know quite well that I am a biological male, and yet I also know that I have a GID, and my essential "person" is somewhere in between, neither all one or the other. I don't live in a binary world, not inside myself, though I do not begrudge or judge those who do. I, in my heart am somewhere in between, searching for a way to live that authenticates that reality. Some days I present male and play that part quite well, like today when I spent the entire day working around the house with my son. But when I dress, the other side swings fully to the fore. When I am out I not only present female, I AM female. And what others think, for me, is irrelevant. I hope I look female, but I certainly am thinking female and feeling female. It is what allows me to remain somewhat sane.
    It is for me, not for them. Of course, having others accept and reinforce that internal reality is great (make that wonderful), but it is not essential. When I am out I simply am me, and female.
    Sadly, this world forces those like me to choose between binaries. If given a perfect world, I would swing happily and giddily, day by day, from one extreme to the other and all points in between, simply as the mood struck me. That would allow the balance I seek.
    Meantime, I end up either fully male or fully female, and both sides take turns.
    So, to answer your question, when I am out I am 100% female, through and through. And it is for me, not anyone else. To satisfy my soul.
    Does that help?
    Hugs

Samantha stated my feelings -perfectly, we must be twins !!!

Maybe just sisters, Gretchen! You are a lot prettier than me...tee hee...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by AmyGaleRT View Post
    I perceive my inner self as bigendered, with both male and female parts to my soul. When I present as Amy, I bring "her" to the foreground and "become" her. I look at myself in the mirror, dressed as Amy, and I think of myself as a woman. I would hope that people would perceive and treat me as such when I'm out; so far, they all seem to.

(I suppose, with my long hair in a ponytail and stud earrings, someone could perceive me as female even in male mode. If someone did do so, call me "ma'am" or some such, I wouldn't be offended, just amused.)

- Amy

Sums me up in a nutshell.

Miriam
    This is a lot of food for thought, Isha. I've been back and forth on my feelings about this over time, especially in the last year. Let me preface my comments by noting I'm very much a part-time crossdresser - at best once or twice a week - though I do pass reasonably well and get out into public quite regularly.

My first pass on this was that I always thought of myself as a guy internally, but wanted to be perceived as woman by the rest of the world. This was consistent with my evolving ability to pass as a woman in my appearance, motions, and voice. I was very conscious of my shortcomings, and "knew" that I was most certainly a guy inside.

This perception shifted somewhat in September when I had the opportunity to exist in gal mode consistently for a week surrounding the Southern Comfort Conference. To my surprise, I found that I really enjoyed being in gal mode full time - and that I began to think of myself as female in some very significant ways. It was dissatisfying to return to my normal life upon my return. I managed it, but it brought doubts about what would happen were I to enter gal mode for an even more prolonged time (something really not feasible in my life at this time).

I've discussed this repeatedly since then with my wife and the couple who are our best friends. The female friend is convinced that I should really give full immersion a chance, including being treated as a gal by a guy in public. I'm not sure how this would work in practice, but I'm curious. I suspect that in this circumstance I would indeed begin to feel even more like a woman inside. But I also think that I will always think of myself as guy in part, just as I now always think of myself as gal in part. Perhaps this is really what it means to be transgender - to be neither guy nor gal entirely. I can accept this as it seems consistent with the notion of a continuum between guy and gal.

Thanks for the great food for thought.

Miriam

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

What equals a 'pass' ?

Being a genetic male, I am very aware of the subtle differences between male and female bodies that are subconsciously recognized as one gender, or the other. Even when I get fully dressed with forms, curvy pads, and shaping garments (which help a LOT with hiding some of these male traits) there's still some things that no garments, and no makeup wizardry can hide. Because of these visual differences, I have accepted that I can not pass 100% of the time. Keeping in mind of course, that being a CD makes these 'cues' more obvious to me.

However, enough of my appearance is so drastically different from my male one that I am willing to believe that under the right circumstances, lighting, and viewing angle, I could be perceived as female. And of course, I would want this to be the case most of the time. However, all of this trickery would be absolutely destroyed once I try and speak with anyone. At that point, I wouldn't expect anyone to be fooled.

Now, whether or not someone can read me, it's how they treat me that defines 'passing'. I actually don't care if somebody reads me, provided that treat me respectfully. That's the best I can hope for. If that's what I get, I am happy enough.

So, I think that the most 'comfortable' situation would actually be one where the person that you are interacting with actually knows what's going on, but doesn't have a problem with it. Best case scenario would be, of course, if the person showed interest in your appearance, or even paid you a compliment. Wishful thinking, yes... But it would most definitely make my day.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr