Thread: Retro Night - Old School Dressing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Retro Night - Old School Dressing

First, let me say I no longer fully dress anymore doing makeup, nails and the whole nine yards.

I gave that up 40 years ago when I could no longer duplicate the look my female cousin used to help me with using her clothes and makeup skills. Now I just wear the clothes to relax and feel good.

However, last night I did go back to my roots of the mid 60's. I dug out my side zip, six garter, panty girdle and wore that with nylons, bra and full slip under a satin robe.

The pull of the garters on the stocking tops as I walked and the slip gliding over the girdle and nylons brought back great memories. It was a great era to cross dress.

I feel sad for the young ones starting out now who never got that experience.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I have no pantyhose or thigh highs. I wear stockings with garters and heels wherever I go. I can't imagine CDing any other way. What would be the point?

Silver Member
    That was an era when I was "caught" dressing in mothers ob girdle with garter tabs, seamed sheer stockings, lacy full slips, and wearing (at that time really high) 3" heels! Enjoy.

Sounds like a lovely evening, Diedre!

I haven't done full girdle/stocking/long-line bra 50's in a long time. Always remember how much fun it can be. But last month I did do a 50's retro outfit for an evening with the Mad Men cast. Veiled hat, gloves, retro purse, and pearls. Ashamed to say I left my girdle and stockings home though. If you are interested in the details, you can check it out in my "An 8-Day Week" post (click here).

In the courtyard of the Dolby Theater in Hollywood

Keep the 50's alive!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Yes Persehone, the panty girdle and garters are fun to wear. But the actual process of putting it all on, sliding the stockings up your legs, hooking the garters and then pulling the leg cuff over the garters is heaven.

I love the ease and comfort of pantyhose, but the retro foundations can really be exciting.

As a boomer growing up in the 50's and 60's I love the vintage lingerie from that era. The garments were so much more feminine and silky than today. Todays lingerie seems drab to me and much more about comfort.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love retro!
    Here's an oldie me trying to emulate a woman from 1945 waiting for her man returning from the war at the train station . I snapped this one about four years ago when I was still wearing the wig.
    I'm now thinking of going 1950's rockabilly or 1960's Mad Men.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow , I enjoyed this walk through memory lane . I remember my mom with her girdles , garters , etc.. This conversation does make one want to go retro. Love it -- mel

I'm never seen without my garters and girdles, but then... I'm all retro.

Platinum Member
    Hi Diedre, I just may have to gig out some of my retro things.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I remember wearing my mom's girdle, garterbelt and hose under her lace trimmed nylon slip and feeling totally feminine.

Silver Member
    While slips have died out the lingerie of today is better and more diverse. I still have a few items from the early 60s that I keep for retro memories including several slips. Yes it was fun to wear stockings for a while and you can still find garters today. Back in the OLD DAYS there were only one style of panties. You could get them in various colors and trim. Today you have many choices of styles. While bras back then varied today there is a vast selection.

The quality of the material in today's garments is better than what we had back then.

This was my first Topic Thread that I ever posted. Thank you for all the great responses

One member of my CD group always dresses beautifully in vintage. She always looks like she stepped out of a '40s or '50s movie! I love the look, but she really works at pulling together the outfits and I don't know if I could expert that much effort. It's hard enough being a modern woman!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I started dressing in the early 60's, when girdles and stockings were the "norm". This is my preference still to this day. A girdle or corselette, with sheer proper stockings (rht, or ff seamed) are essential for me to feel content.

Yes, Michelle123, me too - very slightly earlier, in fact. Like you, it was the fascination with the complexity of female dress that made me want to try it. With no sisters my only access to female clothes was to try my mother's. I generally limited myself at that time to stockings and slips but used one of her old girdles to try to find out what the young girls I saw around me felt like in their nylons.

Since then I have been able to acquire my own underwear and a small wardrobe of skirts. There is something very special about the sensation of a girdle, long bra, nylons and a slip worn beneath a light, easy skirt. I think it's the contrast between the free and easy look seen from the outside with the rather solid underpinnings beneath. I used to admire my girlfriends clothing for exactly the same reasons. Usually a pretty dress would be the soft outer cover while beneath could be felt the panels and seams of a girdle, the hard bumps of suspenders and the straps and hooks of a bra.

Much later I began to try the far less restrictive sensations of wearing just a pair of tights and a little bra - more or less as worn by most women from the 1970s onwards. I could see why they were happy to make the change but for me, the 50s and 60s sensations are still the best.

Aspiring Member
    Here is me dressed in vintage clothing for a costume event.

I am dressed here as a Southern belle.

I also have a red lace parasol and red lace fan to go with the outfit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Diedre,
    A lot of us would like that time to come around again.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I love vintage 50's & 60's fashions. I just bought myself a bullet bra from the Bettie Page collection. 20's fashions is also a nice era.

Silver Member
    Christina, I have an original flapper's dress from the 20s beaded and lined with silk. A dear friend gave it to me. It was her mother's dress and she had no daughters to give it to. She knew I CDed and would enjoy it. I can understand why the women felt sexy back then wearing garters and true silk stockings.