Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I like real pic avatars

I like real pic avatars

Does anyone else like seeing real pics and real avatars? I understand that there are some who are reluctant to post due to privacy issues, but when dressed, who's going to know? I tend to pm and respond to the brave few who post a pic. Am I shallow? Maybe so.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyLynn View Post
    I understand that there are some who are reluctant to post due to privacy issues, but when dressed, who's going to know?
    Being recognized is a normal concern and I respect those who have that concern. When I first started here I was reluctant to post my picture. I post pictures now, but I'm still reluctant to show a recognizable face because of two concerns:

(1) It is unknown know how good and how widespread the private use of facial recognition software might become. I'm not concerned about the government (they already know everything) but what if employers were to search the web and find a recognizable picture? I'm protected by law from TG discrimination here in California, but that doesn't prevent an employer from doing an end run around the law. if they so decide.

(2) Hey, my face isn't all that attractive. That might actually help my public presentation but I'm no Andrej Pejić!

The main point of posting to this forum is that this is a place where we can all feel, for the most part, welcome and comfortable. If one is comfortable sharing pictures, fine, but this is not a competition and one should not feel any pressure to post pictures.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Eryn said it all. So I have nothing to add to it as her response was perfect but for the record, my profile picture IS me and my avatar is my feet in my favorite heels Both are real
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

It's not going to happen for me. I wouldn't pass in a million years. I love the "feeling" of crossdressing, just not how I look.

My wife and I have an agreement that I won't post pictures in any form online. That's a boundary in our relationship and I am respecting it. Besides, I don't feel I need to prove anything with a picture. I post here regularly, my wife knows all about it, and we're both content with our choice. That satisfies us both.

To that I will add that I don't feel your preference makes you shallow anymore than mine does me. We've both made a choice and they are just different. That's all. Hugs.

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar
    Shallow? No... An avatar is merely a representative 'image'. Nothing more. Sure, I appreciate seeing an actual photo too, but it's not a requirement.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-20-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: no need to quote OP
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

I used a blank avatar for a long time because all the pictures I took looked really bad. But then one day I took one, and it didn't look so bad ...

An avatar choice helps me hear a "voice" in the words I read but I have no right to begrudge anyone in their choice NOT to post their own picture...particularly one which is utterly devoid of any meaningful detail whatsoever.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Of course I like picture avatars. To me it lends credence to the posters comments. It's far too easy for anonymous posters to create havoc on the Internet. Unless I feel like I know you, I take what you say with that proverbial grain of salt.

I think the avatar is "public" and google searchable, while the profile pic is private. For that reason, my avatar is a cartoon, but my profile pic is the real me, but after a most excellent makeover.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I, too, prefer real photos over "avatars". However, I suppose some people have real concerns that someone would recognize them. However, I think the chances of that happening are very small.
    Hugs, Carole

Non-Binary / Two-Spirit
    Like Eryn said... and...

Even though I'm out in the real world I'm not out on the internet. My face is not covered in makeup so the odds dramatically increases the chances of being discovered.

The image I'm using, as of this posting date, is a fictional forest elf. Yes... she looks young and youthful which is how I'd like to look on the female side. Keep in mind I present as Androgynous and I have not found one yet I like yet.

FYI: My age is in my profile if you're curious.
    Last edited by sanderlay; 04-20-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: FYI:
    Don't suppress who you are inside your heart. Let the world know how special you really are. Don't forget to smile as you share. It will come through in your beautiful words.

Your Sister/Brother,
    Debbie/Steve

My profile shows my real legs. However, I am not brave enough to post a pic of me otherwise. Perhaps, as time goes on, my inhibitions will disappear.

I purged all my photos 3 years ago. I usually regret it at least once a month, but the rest of the time I am happy to maintain my privacy. I had no idea the internet would become so intrusive and non-private as it has the past ten years.

The deal breaker for me was when my cousin, who is 24 years old, told me she was able to utilize her computer skills to locate an old acquaintance we had known who had an online profile at some obscure site. It really seems that the flow of information is becoming public data, and the next generations will be able to literally pull anything out of the ether.

The people I am "out" to would never betray my privacy; but the internet is a wild beast with few rules.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I'm ok with either, I understand not wanting to have a real picture I debated ever posting a picture but felt this was going to be my outlet to be out so to speak even thought I don't really go out in public. So it works for me

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    i like real pics too they kinda put a name to the face...but i get it and understand why some gals dont...its not that big of a deal to me

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I like real pics also. I don't know if it is shallow to like that. Like Adriana said, it helps to put a face to the name. I feel like I know them more.

I can understand why those that don't, don't do it though. It is a very personal choice made for a huge variety of reasons.

Some insight. I myself got called out by someone who recognized me from a pic, even dressed with makeup, wig (before my hair grew out), etc...
    My response was, itself; a question:
    "...and why were YOU on that website?"
    The reply to that was stammering and stuttering, case closed.
    In short, I side with posting the real pics. Be you, and let it show. Here you are among friends.

I might someday and would really like to, but, like the others I don't trust the internet so much. I often regret what I write here for fear of being discovered. I believe that's called paranoia! Maybe a pic of my body.

Oh yes, thank you to those that do have a real pic. Very brave and appreciated.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-20-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: merged posts. Please use the edit button

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I too like real pics but using another pic doesn't make you any less real IMO.
    Just a personal preference thing.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 04-20-2014 at 09:44 PM.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    I fall into the group of those who prefer to put a face with a name. Actually what confuses me is some here who post that the do in fact go out in public dressed yet do not have a profile pic or an avatar. Its hard to separate fact from fiction. I too am leary of posting my pic, but I know I am among friends and feel safe in this community.
    Erica

I recently took mine off...It was either that or I am off..My state of mind I guess,,,But then again Mine was mild compared to the ones I really wanted to post and in saying that probably a good thing I took it off..
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

My avatar is a real picture of my shadow. I like it. In my opinion it is not shallow to prefer that someone has a real picture as their avatar. I am me, read my posts, agree, disagree and form your opinion. Someone not believing me because I do not have a facial picture as an avatar is the loser in this case. If they let something like a lack of an avatar shape their opinions, they are really missing out on a lot of very good advice and information. That is their own loss and no one else's.

And for you information what will be said here in this thread can be read in several other older threads just like this one. Just do a search.

PS: Anyone that doubts that I go out real time to real places is most welcome to join me when I go. That will be the real proof in the pudding!
    Last edited by AllieSF; 04-21-2014 at 12:19 AM.

I'm just afraid that my pic may end up somewhere out in some crazy internet site that I never intended. I don't know how to "lock down" pictures to this site only if there is even an option.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    LOL Y'all crack me up.