Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public Mocking of CD'ing?

Aspiring Member
    Same old same old. A male in a dress plays it for laughs, from Milton Berle all the way up. It is the reality of society. You perceive it to offend you because it is what you are. Your offense is in what you think about them doing it as opposed to them actually doing it. You are making it worse in your own mind than what it really is. I do the same thing all the time but am working to change the way I see the world.

Banned Read only
    My jr. high and high school both did events like this back in the 70's, when I was in school. Going out of my mind with gender dysphoria and watching their crap wasn't very much fun, let me tell you. It didn't make me feel a whole lot better about myself, or encourage me to come out, either.

Those days sucked.

Wow! This thread took off faster than expected! First off thanks for all the responses so far, and secondly sorry for any typos, on my phone.
    It seems as if the responses are pretty mixed. I'm usually not offended by much, but April is a sensitive subject with me. Obviously everyone had a good laugh at everyone, but it was just meh for me. I just kinda felt...just annoyed with it. I know it wasn't directly meant to offend CD'ers directly, but it just felt implied. Maybe I'm overlooking it, and I more than likely am. Just the nature of it is just offensive to April but its one day and one instance so April can deal with it.

April, I can empathise with you... your feelings are your feelings and you've taken the trouble to express them here for support... You have mine..

I'd agree with a number of comments already - this won't be targeted at you but it's understandable how you'd feel what you do feel... I lived through my teenage years with this thing we do in the back of my mind when I was trying to pluck up the courage to ask girls out, but I never had to face anything like this at that time... sometimes I think people here forget what they might have gone through in the past, or maybe they didn't go through it... doesn't mean they shouldn't try to see another perspective...

Don't take it to heart - Vickie said it right that life is sadly full of little and big niggles... you'll certainly look back and see this as a small one, but it probably feels worse now. All the same, it helps sometimes to remember how important these things are for the battles you end fighting later in life... Bev's advice is good advice here: pick your battles - discrimination of any sort is never nice, but is a very long standing fact of life and human behaviour. If you can carry those thoughts with you into maturity and they allow you to be a better and more tolerant person because of it, then that won't be a bad thing.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with us, April...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Haters are gonna hate..

I used to be hated in school because of science. Then because of teh gay. Then because of 'different'.

If you spend your time making THEM happy, when do you have time to make YOU happy?

Be YOU hon. You can't please everyone.. and if you could, why should you?

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    It is just a silly high school ritual and shows complete lack of creativity.
    Let it go. And when you choose to go out, represent the best you can.
    yes...this is HIGH SCHOOL we are talking about here...REMEMBER what that was like???..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WlvPclQnmQ

.April half those boys probably LOVED being dressed, dont be surprized if one or two turn into dressers...just a thought...your better than everyone at your school anyway because you are you...and you are a rare unique person...

I think the bigger issue is that you can't control how others feel. Some folks are going to laugh at crossdressing no matter what. Let them! If you try and clamp down on it, you make haters out of them and out of others who will think you're being a busy body.

I compare it to cracking down on smokers. I don't smoke, and I prefer to not sit near those that do and I don't let people smoke in my house. But when someone gets on TV and suggests that smoking should be illegal, I get mad because I think "Smokers are people too! Leave them alone!"

You have every right to be annoyed, but I don't recommend doing anything except simply educate folks around you in a non-forceful way. Otherwise it will likely backlash.

Sounds like high school students just having harmless fun. I understand why this annoys you. But treat it as just another annoyance. Doesn't mean anything. No one is trying to mock you. You are alright. Deep breath. Exhale. Get on with the business of living.
    CANCER IS A BITCH SO YOU HAVE TO BE MORE OF A BITCH TO BEAT IT.

I completely understand where you're coming from. It's certainly not an open mocking because they're doing it from a place of total ignorance, but it definitely reinforces the stereotype that crossdressing is unnatural and a "joke." It's because of events like this that the general population doesn't understand who crossdressers really are. I personally wouldn't take too much offense to it because I know it's nothing personal, but I do harbor a small resentment to how it can negatively affect the crossdressing community.

It's usually a "high camp" type of thing, especially when associated with High School or College.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Platinum Member
    Hi April Mary, If you got all dressed to the nines they might figure that you knew too much about dressing up.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

It reinforces the idea that males dressed as women are something ridiculous and laughable. Is not this something CDs are fighting against? Is not this the reason so many of you are stuck in closets unable to be yourselves because society sees you as ridiculous and something to laugh at?
    Political correctness can go too far but it is the reason that that the 'N' word is no longer acceptable. It is the reason that the Gay community can live freer lives. Maybe one day it will be the reason that CDs can express themselves freely without severe consequences in their personal and public lives.
    Back in the seventies in the UK I knew a lot of nice people who were basically racist. Not in a burning crosses kind of way but in an ignorant negative assumption of what people of different races were like. This kind of attitude did not go away by itself. It had to be challenged.

Senior Member Jacqueline Winona's Avatar
    I'm with Jennifer on this one. They are just being silly, they aren't making a parody of CD's, they are making a parody of women, who probably are not at all offended by this behavior. There are some things we just need to laugh at ourselves about. We can be offended, or we can laugh, and the joke's on them if we're not willing to get pissed over the little things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylia View Post
    Well, they're obviously mocking women, not unlike many 'actual' cross-dressers.
    This is what everyone is missing. They're not making fun of crossdressers. They're poking fun at the girls and all the trouble girls go through to look good at prom. It has absolutely nothing to do with crossdressers. NOTHING!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Simple way to look at things like that... it is not about you. Nobody is mocking you and nobody knows how you feel. So there is nothing to feel bad about.
    Chickie

's gonna be what it is. I have come out for holidays like halloween, but there isn't a correlation between acceptance of the costume and acceptance of who you are. I have been who I am for about six decades, but haven't seen public acceptance change much over that period of time. We need to realize our personhood, express it in terms consistent with our cultural environment, whatever that maybe, and accept the consequence. It's the only path to a sane existence.
    Hugs,
    Trish
    Last edited by Katey888; 04-23-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Helping your truncated thread - you can use edit function to add to existing post :)

Reality Check
    I agree with the comments about white kids in "blackface". It's inappropriate and it's a shame the school administration is not sensitive enough to put a stop to it.

Suppose instead of crossdressing they decided to dress up like homosexuals? Or handicapped people? Or the mentally challenged?

It's easy to say that political correctness has gone too far and in some cases it has but put yourself in the position of those who are being mocked. How would you feel?

The school administration should not allow this.

When I was in High school, which was 40 plus years age, we had Freshman day where the senior got a freshman for the day and could dress them any way they wanted 90% of the freshman boys were dress as girls, the school was 7 grade through 12, from the 7th to my freshman year I dream of being able to be dress as a girl. My senior dress me a baby dipper, my friends got to go as girls.
    I know your pain, to want it so bad and to see other that are just doing it to mock.

Banned Read only
    "Maybe April is too sensitive to this stuff, regardless I'm annoyed!"

And THERE ^^^ you have it in a nutshell!

But perhaps the "good news" is that obviously, [per the responses] there are plenty of others here who will be happy to help you row that "I'm too sensitive" boat.

There was once [long before your time] a lady by the name of Clara Peller. She was famous for "Where's the beef". Fortunately, back in those days, the people who raised poultry were astute enough, not to go camp out on the lawns of their Congressmen complaining that chickens were being discriminated against and that Clara should stop badgering chickens.

while i can see where your comming from i havr to agree with some of the others here... its 1) high school who cares, 2) not aimed at you personally again who cares, 3) not ment in any way at all to target crossdressers or any member of the TG comunity. it to show all the work the real girls put into it to look pretty.

i would just look at it for what it is.. harmless high school nonsense.

I agree with Zylia and sometimes_miss: They are mocking women, which is worse (IMHO) than mocking cross dressers. That's not right. As a crossdresser I like to think I'm *more* in tune with my feminine side, not blind to it.

On the other hand, I wonder what percentage of those boys dressing as girls look forward to it...?

So, what if one of the boys took it very seriously and made himself look completely feminine and indistinguishable from one of the girls attending the Prom. Would that be considered funny? What if one of the girls came dressed in male attire and looking exactly like a boy with no makeup and a boyish hairstyle. Would she be shunned or applauded?

They used to do stuff like that when I was in school back in the 70's and early 80's. Never really paid that much attention to it to be honest.

No one is stopping you from dressing and expressing who you are...except yourself.

What is more important to you?
    Being who they expect you to be or being who you are?

Everyone struggles in life and have their own burdens to bear, whether it be for acceptance, loss or whatever life has dealt them.

One's pain is no greater than another's.

The gift of glory comes when you accept this and live life as best you can with grace and gratitude.
    [SIZE="4"]Momarie[/SIZE]

I can see now how it was mocking of actually girls now instead of CD'ers, I was just blinded too quickly and immediately thought it was about the mocking of CD'ers or to make a guy wearing a dress look "Odd".
    But if only half the people at the school knew what a guy could look like wearing a dress with some time and effort put into it, man would they be shocked! (As I was when I first came to this site seeing all the avatar pics. I often questioned myself who was a GG and who wasn't! )