Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does one become comfortable with themself.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar

How does one become comfortable with themself.

Im kind of at a place in life where I'm just not sure any more. Over the last 30 yrs I have been through so many stages as far as crossdressing goes and I think I finally realized that it isn't the cloths but just trying to be comfortable with who I am.

Has anyone else gotten to this stage and how did you become comfortable with who you are.

For me right now I am trying small steps. Attempting to blend in small feminine things into everyday life. Of course still without having the whole world know I am different. Or is that the secret, does it ever get to the point that you just can't hide it any longer?
    Erica

To get in touch with ourselves and our feelings, we need to accept them and take ownership of them and also take total responsibility for our own actions and choices. We will make mistakes but this is how we really learn. Making all experiences, both positive and negative, work for us is true progress in a positive direction.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Erica,

Sometimes it takes a while to reach our "comfort zone", but once we are comfortable with ourselves and where we are with CD'ing. It's taken years in my case, but as I've accepted myself and who I am, it has become much easier. I hide it less and less and am enoying it more and more!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Platinum Member
    Hi Erica. It certainly doesn't happen over night. The big steps for me were divided by years. Someone living in lesser degrees of denial might take them faster, but certainly the first step is accepting that you're transgendered. That it's not a disease, an aberration, or a perversion. It's just who you are. Then being able to say it out loud to a loved one, a friend, a counselor...for me just being able to talk candidly was such a big step. And if feeling comfortable is possible, one has to get out and experience life. That comfort level, or self confidence, is borne of experience.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Erica - maybe you've hit on something there...

I read that many of us already do that - some things get noticed, some are less obvious - hidden things make us feel comfortable while not visibly 'outing' us... there's possibly a meeting point where age and our level of discomfort at being totally vanilla coincide, so certainly as I've got older I've cared less about negative reactions... my wife has not noticed my completely shaved legs, but she has spotted my more feminine eyebrows, and she accepts me painting my nails occasionally... how long before other things erupt...?!?!

Those things all make me feel more comfortable - and perhaps some of us reach equilibrium? That has to be a happy achievement..!

I personally think more of us are like fly-by-wire warplanes; we're inherently unstable and we need to make constant tweaks and changes to how we look, what we do, who we tell... in order to keep comfortable.

Perhaps that's the real affliction here - not knowing where exactly that point of harmony lies, so we keep inching towards it, but the comfort zone keeps flexing around it...

Deeply philosophical... time for another coffee I think...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I guess it comes down to accepting the fact(s) that we are who we are and nothing is going to change this. When I reflect back to the very first time that I "borrowed" a pair of stockings, a garter belt and panties and the shame and guilt I felt and compare it to "now", I can honestly say that I have come to embrace the fact(s) that I am different (but aren't we all) not criminal or perverse but different. I feel soooo much better when I show who I am. I'm not saying I flaunt it, but I show it. I think we have all gone through what you are experiencing but have come to realize this is who we are. One step at a time!!!!!

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I adopted a concept many years ago that has served me well. You really have to monitor your own thoughts and reactions through the lens of, wait for it.
    Ninety-nine percent of all stress we endure in our lives, someone else brought to us.
    At this point, I am very comfortable with myself.
    Because that's who I answer to at the end of the day.
    It becomes so apparent how enjoyable life can be when you don't carry other's guilt load.
    And that's where the uneasiness about trans behaviour really comes from. Others.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Hi.

Being comfortable in your self ,

,.By accepting ,

(( contrary to how some think.)) your self growing into who you are, being who you are living as who you are, confidence comes by knowing this is you. your not a copy cat you dont have to be like someone else and why should you.

I had the confidence in my self to know what i was age 10, yes born different and not like others male or female yet it was never an issue,

selfworth.

now that was a different matter i had none due to things done to myself , yet after many years i'v accepted i do have my selfworth, for who i am

Self assurance.

i lacked that. over the last 20 years i have gained an assurance in my self because i have grown into my self and no doubts about that,

As a person i had no confidence around people unless they were who i could trust and yes i found 6 people from 1956 they were.... my real friends..... though i have lost contact with 4 the other two i can go and see they know me well enough ,

Listen i still have doubts about myself i lack in many details in my life i have my down days get frustrated, wonder why the hell i was born. theres detail id love to do with more , i dont know,
    in a way i can be accomplished, yes i struggle yes i have disabilitys ,

Yet even so im still a strong woman because i'v grown into myself ,

Heres a thought,

were you able to come out with me go where i go meet those many people i talk about with in our groups yes a membership well over 1000' members i know each person as they myself see how i interact with them work with them and just do normal things together, you would never ? .

my confidence or selfworth or self assurance as a person and as a normal woman with in the context of who i am,
    I had to go through many issues and detail to get where i am now , sorry no short cuts to life ,

its a learning prosses that can be very hard to work through remember as i see it its not over yet, and no one can do it only you .....

....noeleena...

Banned Read only
    Erica, I have noticed a change in you from when you first joined to very recent. It's like someone who slowly and very cautiously walks to the edge of a cliff to see the view. Once you get to the edge there's no further, no better view. It's scary to be there but the view is fantastic and hence the reward for the risk.

My cliff edge was not so dangerous. It was telling my wife that I'm a cross dresser, that's it. I know it's weird, it's not really explainable but my life will be unchanged. Cross dressing is just a minor part of me. I do not identify as transgendered and I have no confusion about this subject at all. I'm a dude who cross dresses.

I think your cliff edge is different than mine and it's a little scarier because it has more impact. You have to get to the edge to see the view. Once you do, you can forget the scary walk to the edge and just embrace the view. I think you are still creeping to the edge. Once there, you WILL BE comfortable. I hope that made some sense for you.

Hello Erica Marie,
    have a little think about what it is that you think makes you different , your liking of feminine things , is it doing you or anyone else any harm does it make you happy, there is a lot you can do in small ways and get away with it that will help you feel good and most people take less notice than you think so you just have to remember if you are doing no harm then it is normal .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I think you can hide it forever if you really try.
    Getting comfortable with yourself takes many trips out dressed and being that way for days at a time.
    You do have to live it to get over the Colly Wobbles.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Everyone has a slightly different approach / take on the situation. So, what works best for you, baby steps? A giant leap of faith? Only you can decide that.
    I think what is most important here is that you have figured out who you are in your heart.
    I know for me, I've known for a long time who I was on the inside, but was afraid to confess it publicly. I stared taking baby steps, while staying in the closet with the full dressing thing. I did have some, shall we say flamboyant cloths for public view, but it wasn't anything that couldn't easily be passed off as glam metal rocker.
    Then one day, while dressed to the 9's my Polar Bear came home somewhat unexpected, but it was no big deal, I was out to her form day 1. She didn't mid I was dressed, but hated the outfit, changed me and took me on my first public outing! That felt like kind of a big leap to me. One day I'm hiding it, and the next, bang! It's all out there! However, I seemed to blend in with the crowd at Captain D's. and Wall Mart, or at least no one let on like they noticed anything. After that, I couldn't get out fully dressed enough, and still can't to this day!

For me, being comfortable with who I am happened when I realized (accepted?) that Andrea was a real person and not simply a manifestation of my presentation, wardrobe, etc. Andrea is with me, is a part of me, 24/7 regardless of how I dress. Once that epiphany moment happened, things kinda fell into place. So much so that being a CD for me is no longer even about the clothes, shoes, wigs, makeup, etc ... but wow do I still love all of them! LOL
    Andrea
    One body, two spirits

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001834525065
    Feel free to send me a FaceBook friend request.

Everything is not what it seems
    When you can get all you wanted in your wildest dreams
    You might run into trouble if you go to extremes
    Because everything is not what it seems

Gone to live my life
    Hi Erica,

Finding one's comfort level is a personal thing whether it be with CDing or just being. Once I came out to my wife I ceased trying to hide it in my personal life. I may not announce to the world I am TG or wear a t-shirt saying so, but I don't deny it if someone were to ask me. I find that as time goes on, wasting time feeling as though I need to conform to what others expect of me (have been doing this my whole life) is wasted energy and just being who I am is so much easier. Do people notice my more defined eyebrows? I am sure they do considering I have reduced my Groucho Marx brows by about 50 percent. Do they notice the reduction of my beard due to laser treatments? They sure do as I had a friend ask me about it. Do I care? Not particularly because I need to be authentic to who I am "boy" or "girl".

Finding your equilibrium will depend on how much you are willing to allow others to know or see. If you are comfortable with blending in small femme traits into your everyday life (i.e., you don't care what others think) then I dare say you have become comfortable with yourself. If you choose not to reveal anything and prefer to keep it to yourself then that is a choice and if it makes you feel good then you are comfortable with yourself. I don't believe you have to be full on "in your face TG" to say, I am comfortable with myself. You just have to be what you need to be to feel good about yourself and that is comfort for your soul.

Hugs

Isha

A start came for me when I no longer kept my boy and girl clothes in separate places.

It seems to me that as I get older it is like I don't have the energy to be inauthentic anymore. Also, not just in "trans" and CD world, but in life overall, I find that it matters less and less what other people think, even relatives and friends! (It has been said a million times here, but again, if they care enough and are true friends then they will get over it!). So yes, it does seem as if many of us eventually get to some place where we finally feel we are living whatever we feel as an authentic life. And as Isha said, it could be any stage for any particular person. First step is in personal acceptance, the rest will eventually follow.

For me some of it was in realizing that I was different and that that was ok. Not being afraid to be different, not being coerced into being like everyone else and being happy that I am different.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Marie View Post
    Attempting to blend in small feminine things into everyday life. Of course still without having the whole world know I am different. Or is that the secret, does it ever get to the point that you just can't hide it any longer?
    That is what I do, but I suppose my small feminine things are not so small, as I kind of show the whole world that I am different. It is not that I can't hide it any longer, it is that I don't want to hide it any longer. I don't need for everyone to know that I choose to fully cross dress, but for others to know that I on occasion wear female jewelry, or clothes, or paint my finger nails, or that I am interested in fashion, I don't care what they think, it only matters what I think. Do I accept myself and that these are things that I like to do? If so, then I need to force myself to do it. By forcing myself to do it, and observing the total lack of response from anyone around me, except for people liking me more, then I have become more comfortable with myself.

Does this make any sense at all? Sometimes I just don't know. Hmm...

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Erica yes I know exactly what you mean. I'm also to a point where I just want to be happy with this person I am not be ashamed of it and do my best to love others and not hate them just because they don't agree with my lifestyle or choice

Erica,

I think I am at the same place you are. I am tired and I just want to be me, all of me. I am not sure what that looks like yet. My first step is I need to reopen a dialog about CDing with my wife. Hopefully with prayers and understanding I can then start to fully find me. I just take baby steps and go one day at a time.

-Millie
    The glass is neither half full, nor half empty. It is twice as large as it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Erica Marie View Post
    For me right now I am trying small steps. Attempting to blend in small feminine things into everyday life. Of course still without having the whole world know I am different. Or is that the secret, does it ever get to the point that you just can't hide it any longer?
    Do you mean making small changes to your appearance that in our current culture, are generally considered feminine? What small feminine things are you referring to?

If it's not appearance, then I know men who do this, but they don't care if others think they're different. Maybe they acknowledge there is a wide range to being male. These are men who don't care about sports, or cars, or beer-guzzling, or any other activity that is considered stereotypically male. They enjoy the arts, cooking, or any other activity that some people consider stereotypically female, they have an opinion about the decor of their homes, care about their appearance, are in touch with their feelings, are nurturing fathers, sensitive husbands, and the list goes on. One man I knew years ago loved to do petit-point for relaxation. He was proud of his work and showed everyone despite the fact this is considered a stereotypically female thing to do. No need to hide!
    Reine

Erica, And Leigh, Well said. I am tired of hiding Alice. i am a guy, too. I realize, that for good reasons, i need to stay secret with this, but sure would like to go out in public more. But, at six foot 11 in heels, I would draw tons of good and bad attention.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Do you mean making small changes to your appearance that in our current culture, are generally considered feminine? What small feminine things are you referring to?
    Reine over time I come to realize my male exterior is just a shell for who I am on the inside. Wig, breast forms, fake hips. To me it all feels like a costume. I cant seem to find that happy medium without telling the whole world Im different. I am attempting to find small things to make me feel comfortable in my own skin and to try and maybe find a gender neutral appearance. For me it is no longer dresses and skirts that makes me feel right. Its shaved legs, pierced ears, having my hair styled, nails groomed and now attempting to get in a little better physical shape. I know maybe this all just sounds nuts, but how do I erase the man I see in the mirror and just see me?
    Erica

I don't know I just one day realized I don't care what anyone other than my wife thinks about my choice of clothing.

I think three things helped me.

The first was therapy. Being in a judgement-free zone, and having someone to talk to about my fears was a big help.

The second was meeting friends like man and going out in public with them.

The third was this forum. Whenever I think I'm too close to the edge, I read some post here that confirm that I'm seeing things through the looking glass. Some people here are much closer to the edge than I am.

My affirmation is in my signature.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.