Thread: Transgender vs Gender Nonconforming

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Non-Binary / Two-Spirit

Transgender vs Gender Nonconforming

I've been doing some research into the two terms Transgender verses Gender Nonconforming as it relates to myself. Both terms are prominently in the Standards of Care version 7 some of us might use. And seeing how many persons dislike the term transgender I decided to research it. Before this I thought I was transgendered CD, cross-dresser. I did not understand why many were rejecting it. Now I don't think transgender applies to myself either given what I found.

Transgender's purest meaning is...
    1. A person appearing or attempting to be a member of the opposite sex, as a transsexual or habitual cross-dresser.

So seeing this it seems transgender is the wrong word to describe myself. It has it links in the gender binary which is not what I'm trying to present as. I'm not trying to be the opposite but a mix of male and female.

Gender Nonconforming is two words and so I'll look at them separately.

Gender's purest meaning is...
    2. Sexual identity, (which I see as gender identity), especially in relation to society or culture.

Nonconforming's purest meaning is...
    a. 1. Not conforming; declining conformity; especially, not conforming to the established church of a country.

So putting Gender Nonconforming all together I get...
    1. Gender identity that is declining conformity.

So for myself a Gender Nonconforming CD seems to be the better terms. Now keep in mind I know who I am. I don't like labels very much. But if I'm going to describe myself to someone I want to use the closest terms possible with these least possibility of being misunderstood. I also use these terms / words as a starting point and not a definitive definition of myself.

So given this information... what words might you use... or do you have another term(s)?

Transgender... Gender Nonconforming... or ... your word(s)
    Last edited by sanderlay; 04-24-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: grammar
    Don't suppress who you are inside your heart. Let the world know how special you really are. Don't forget to smile as you share. It will come through in your beautiful words.

Your Sister/Brother,
    Debbie/Steve