Yes the constant question of labels can be somewhat tiresome at times.

BUT to everyone who wants to dismiss the OP's question consider this. To the general public you will get maybe 30-60 seconds to explain your presentation verbally, in print perhaps 2 sentences before they make an initial assessment of you. THAT is why labels are USEFUL, because they enable you to relay a reasonably large amount of information in a fairly short time. In addition they help to enable the collation of information about SIMILAR things so that assessments can be made, possible patterns looked for and utilised.

Back to the OP original question i.e. TG vs Gender nonconforming, I must admit I have difficulty in seeing where there is likely to be significant difference in any useful information on either a past or future predictive sense between the two terms and as such I feel the two terms on a practical level are interchangeable. Certainly I describe myself using either term. As Reine has pointed out there is certainly public confusion between the term "transgender" and "transexual" (two terms which have very distinct meanings that have a dramatic impact particular on future predictive assessment) and as such an argument could be made that perhaps the term gender nonconforming may be a better term to avoid this confusion. A part of me though is concerned that trying to further differentiate like this could further ostracise either the TS community and I am thus reluctant to push this too heavily. If the public confuses TG and TS then they need further education on the difference, by keeping that education going they are forced to confront education on transsexualism and as we know, education encourages tolerance and acceptance.