Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outing To Some Old Friends And A Quandary

Banned Read only

Question Outing To Some Old Friends And A Quandary

I have to believe what I experienced today is what I can only describe as synchronicity.

Since I commented on the GG Friends thread (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...035-GG-friends) the other day, there have been a few changes, one that fell in line with that thread and another than has left me in a quandary.

I can now say that two GG friends I have known for years know about me. This came about by way of my sister Janice and my long time friend Jo. I am not upset by any means because the only reason I haven't told them is because I haven't seen them for years, due primarily to the distance that separates us. (If I'm going to tell someone, I prefer to do it in person, not by way of a phone call, e-mail, or text. Call me old-fashioned.)

Janice Skype'd me earlier today and we talked about a all kinds of things, including our plans for a summer trip out to Martha's Vineyard with our cousin Gail. I thought we were finishing up when she said she had something she wanted to show me, turned her laptop to one side, and there were my two friends! Apparently both Janice and Jo had confided in them about me and they wanted to see the real me. I think there was initial shock on both sides as I could feel my face warm, letting me know I was blushing. (That's one thing that has always been a signature of mine – I blush easily!) But my two old friends quickly recovered and it was a lengthy string of questions and answers for the next half hour. At the end of that it felt like they had always known and they looked forward to getting together some time this summer when they're in New England. Other than some initial awkwardness on both sides, it was great seeing them and letting them see me as Diane.

Now for the quandary.

I had lunch today with a friend – I'm going to call her Laura - someone I've known for a few years. She only knows Diane and is not aware that I am not a GG. We've always gotten along, have spent time together shopping, eating out, going to shows and concerts, sometimes along with her now-ex husband. (They divorced a couple of years ago.) We aren't really close friends, meaning we haven't been confiding in each other except on a superficial level. We don't hang out together all the time. Weeks may go by before we talk or get together, this due primarily to our respective work schedules. But I digress.

Laura is a very attractive woman who strongly resembles the actress Amy Carlson. At times she's even been mistaken for her. (Though in her mid 50's she easily looks like she's in her early 40's.) I won't lie and say I haven't been attracted to her since I've known her, but I have never acted on that attraction for obvious reasons.

As we finished lunch and paid our bill, she told me there was something she wanted to talk to me about that she didn't feel was appropriate to discuss in the restaurant. Since we were parked next to each other in the parking garage, I suggested we talk in one of our cars. We ended up in mine as it's a bit roomier than her econo-box. At first she sat there in the passenger seat and didn't say anything. I could see she was really nervous. Her hands were actually trembling!

I reached out and took her hands, hoping to help steady her nerves. I guess it was the right thing because it triggered her to say and do something that was the last thing on earth I expected.

She looked up, looked me in the eyes and told me that she wanted to spend more time with me, to see where the two of us might go. She also told me that she had always been attracted to women, but I was the first one she'd ever wanted and the first one she'd ever felt she could approach. Then she learned over and kissed me. I would be lying if I said it wasn't a breathtaking, passionate kiss. It certainly took me by surprise. I must have looked dumbfounded (I certainly felt that way), because once the kiss ended, she got out of my car, got into hers, and drove off.

I haven't talked to her since then (it's only been a few hours) though I have texted her to say there's more we need to talk about, things she needs to know about me, but she hasn't responded yet.

Here's the quandary:

I have never really felt the need to be in a relationship, though goodness knows I've had more than a few, and one marriage. I don't often even think about relationships, particularly as I leave what little vestiges there are of my male persona behind. So for Laura to express her feelings for me as she has has me both excited and in a bind.

I have to admit that I would love to start a relationship with Laura, but she only knows me as Diane. I know I would have to tell her and show her everything about me, tell her my plans, and hope she understands and can accept me as I am. I am laying myself open in a way I never have before, telling someone who sees me only as Diane that I am not entirely as I appear rather than the other way round. There's that part of me that says I shouldn't, that I should back away from her and continue on as I have. I know a big part of that is fear of rejection, something we have all dealt with. But this feels different, more intense, and I don't want to blow off what might be a great relationship due to fear. I also understand that this is a big step forward for me, that if I go forward with this and Laura can accept me for who I am, there's no going back. Nor would I want to.

I am not asking for advice, per se. I just needed to vent, to get some perspective by putting it down into words in order to make the right decision. (Yes, I know that when it comes to emotions, there isn't always a 'right' answer.) I don't want to hurt her, but I don't want to lie to her either. This is going to be hard. Then again, no one ever promised that life was going to be easy.
    Last edited by Diane Edwards; 04-27-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: fix a typo

It's a bit hard to believe that any M2F CD could pass so well, but I guess there are always the lucky exceptions. Anyway, tell her right away that you crossdress and maybe she'll be fine with that. If not, you didn't want a relationship anyway. Right?
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

make the leap. you won't know how she reacts until you try. it sounds like it could lead to something wonderful.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

WOW! That would really throw me for a loop. I know you don't really want advice and I'm not qualified to give it.

If you do tell her, I think you should lead in with how you feel about her. That will put her more at ease and she will know how you feel.

Maybe saying it like this:

"Laura, I am so glad you told me about your feelings for me. I've felt the same way for quite some time now. I would love to be in a relationship with you, but before we go any further, you need to know some things about me........"

I hope it turns out well for you.
    Last edited by Kim_Bitzflick; 04-26-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Kim's advice is wonderful and absolutely correct!!! Do it, good luck and I'm sure things will be just fine!!!!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim_Bitzflick View Post
    If you do tell her, I think you should lead in with how you feel about her. That will put her more at ease and she will know how you feel.

Maybe saying it like this:

"Laura, I am so glad you told me about your feelings for me. I've felt the same way for quite some time now. I would love to be in a relationship with you, but before we go any further, you need to know some things about me........"
    Kim, that is exactly the approach I plan to take. "Great minds" and all that! Goodness knows I've been thinking about it since this afternoon.

Not long after I made the original post I realized there was no way I was going to back away from this. There's really so much to gain by going forward and so much to lose if I don't. I don't want to be the one wondering "What might have been?" because I was afraid to risk rejection. I realized that Laura has the same fear. I understand the courage it took for her to expose her feelings for me, to leave herself vulnerable like that. How can I turn away from that considering the feelings are mutual?

I have heard back from Laura since my original post, at least in regards to getting together to talk about this. She's going to come to my home tomorrow afternoon, a place we won't have to be concerned with any untimely interruptions, and I will tell her all about me, where I came from, where I am going....hopefully with her.

I doubt I will be getting any sleep tonight.

Hope all goes well for you, Diane.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Dear Diane Your story is a bit Romantic which I love ,,,You mentioned that Laura is attracted to Women ..Well You trip is almost there ,,,Go for it ....In Real You can have the best relationship with her ...Yet as In Diane... it is even better because You are a woman ( to her)...Take the plunge with her and hope every thing go well ....Good luck
    Cross-dressing is a cross between woman's soul and man's heart.....

Sending good wishes your way.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Well put Kim.... these are the perfect words in which you can put the whole issue in perspective ....Well said ...
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-27-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: no need to quote whole post
    Cross-dressing is a cross between woman's soul and man's heart.....

Good luck, and hope all goes well for you both.

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    Hi Diane,

I'm really hoping that Laura doesn't feel that she's been "deceived" by you right off the bat and runs off in angry tears. My heart hopes that this meeting goes really good for the both of you! Good luck!

Wow, Is all I can say, I know you aren't looking for advice, and I wish you both the best.

I hope all works out great for you, I have a gut feeling that it will

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
    Last edited by Raychel; 04-27-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I agree with Kim. Hopefully your relationship will grow as she accepts both sides of you. Best wishes, let us know how it goes please.

Diane,
    I'm with Kim too! Her's is a perfect suggestion.

And YES PLEASE share with us the outcome.

All the BEST ! Hugs, Connie Marie

wiggle it, just a lil bit Julia Welch's Avatar
    at least it's not a guy that thinks you're a woman ... that could take a nasty turn !!
    Fun loving skirt wearer

Diane,

This is a terrific compliment both in terms of your presentation and who you are. Kim's advice is spot-on; isn't the situation sort of like when a guy who thinks he's with a woman wants to get involved with one of us? However it turns out, I hope you can remain good friends ... these are special relationships for us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Mine is a blunt but I think correct response.

Tell the how you feel about her and then tell her all about yourself.

I would like to think it will be a good outcome.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Wow, I'm hooked on this thread! Leap...jump and go for it. I'm with Kim. All the best.

Aspiring Member Dana does shopping's Avatar
    Continue to be you she has fallen for you, but yes honesty up-front will tell you where this will/can go. Bonne chance! (Good luck)!!!!

It occurred to me that she may have a negative reaction to this. Be prepared for

"You've been lying to me all this time?" scenario.

I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, remind her she fell in love with the REAL YOU.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Silver Member
    I too concur with Kim's wise advice! In all your meetings with Laura, you must have presented flawlessly as very feminine, not only in attire & action, but also in attitude. Do wonder if she knew your real gender early on and may have felt more comfortable with your feminine side, and was waiting for you to open that subject. IMO divorce can sometimes cause one to have no further close relationships with anyone of the ex's gender. Wishing you all the best on your "new" adventure. Enjoy.

Banned Read only
    It has been an interesting and, dare I say, an intense afternoon.

Laura arrived early this afternoon and once inside I had her sit down in the living room next to me on the couch. It was immediately apparent she was nervous, as was I.

I could have beat around the bush and uttered some inane pleasantries, but I felt it was best to get right to the matter at hand. I took her hand, looked her in the eyes and said to her that I was surprised when she told me how she felt about me. When I did I could see she looked as if an anvil was going to fall on her, she looked so crushed. So I continued and told her that I felt the same way, that I had been attracted to her for quite some time. As I said this she started shaking, so much so I had to pull her to me and hug her. It was then that I realized she was crying. Not exactly what I expected, but under the circumstances perfectly normal.

I'm not going to go into detail about everything as that would take far too much space and time and I'm not sure I should share it all here on the forum in any case. But I do want to share how I revealed to Laura who I had been, who I was becoming, and the outcome. I also have to tell you that I enlisted some help from my sister Janice and my cousin Gail.

As I have mentioned, I told her there were things I needed to tell her about myself, things she needed to know before we went any further. I spent a good portion of the morning thinking things through and finalizing some arrangements with Janice and Gail.

I didn't sugar coat anything, but I wasn't blunt, either. I started simply, telling her about my name and where it came from...and why. To say she was taken aback was an understatement, but at least she didn't bolt for the door. I explained my history, going back to when I was 10, how I started dressing in earnest when I was 14 with the help of a good GG friend. How it progressed from something that was 'forbidden' and somewhat titillating into an expression of who I was inside. I told her about slowly shedding my 'Dave' side, coming to realize who I really was and that as Diane grew and Dave faded away that I became happier, both with myself and with the world around me. She had lots of questions which I did my best to answer. One was whether any of my family knew and I explained that, too. This is where Janice and Gail came in.

I set it up to Skype with them, to let them tell Laura about me and how they felt about it. When Gail appeared on the screen and Laura saw her she gasped “Oh my god! Oh my god!”, seeing my 'twin' on the screen. I introduced Laura to Gail, telling her all about how she had helped me over the years and that we had spent a lot of time together since our teens, with me almost always as Diane. As Gail told her, “She's always been Diane to me, my ersatz twin sister.” My sister Janice told her that she had only recently discovered she had another 'sister' – Diane - but that she hadn't been all that surprised because she had always known there was something about me that was different. She said those differences all made sense to her once she met Diane.

After speaking with Gail and Janice, Laura still had lots of questions. I have to guess she was still trying to absorb it all. We spent the next few hours talking about all kinds of things, including where I was “going with all of this.” I told her about my plans, about starting HRT later this year, about being no one but Diane.

We'd been at this for a long time (but it seemed like minutes) and I suggested we get out of the house and take a walk to clear our minds, to let her digest what she'd learned about me. At this point I had hope, seeing as she was still here and hadn't decided to leave.

We walked for at least a couple of hours, all throughout my part of town, with only the occasional words passing between us or a 'Hello' to someone else out walking. I caught her looking at me from time to time as if it were the first time she'd ever seen me. I kept quiet, not wanting to push her in one direction or the other with an untimely or unthinking word that could ruin everything.

It was getting dark as we headed back to my home and, as we turned down the road on which my house sits, she reached over and took my hand, intertwining her fingers with mine. My heart skipped a beat, and I looked down at my hand to see if she really had taken it in hers. When I looked up at her face she smiled. And then she said the most incredible thing:

“The heart wants what the heart wants.”

I won't bore you with the overly emotional details as I could fill page after page, but she still wants to be with me, wants to explore this “new world” of ours together.

I have been blessed. I have been truly blessed. This has been one of the most incredible days of my life, bar none. It has made up for so many of the darkest days I've gone through in the past. It has also been one of the most exhausting days as well, but it's been worth it.

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

Aspiring Member Dana does shopping's Avatar
    Diane, what a hearfelt gift you have gotten!