Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who can do the splits?

Who can do the splits?

I'm working out much more now, and that plus my healthy eating is making a difference on my weight. Yesterday at the gym I watched a girl walk up to the treadmill next to me and kick her leg up on the bar to stretch.

That got me thinking...I wish I was more flexible like a girl. I decided I should learn how to do the splits, but without hurting myself. So I found a few martial arts folks on youtube that showed a lot of stretching routines you could do, and I'm stretching every morning and evening. Not only does it feel great, but I see myself getting more flexible each day.

Can anyone here do the splits? If I reach my goal, I'm dressing up as a cheerleader and getting a photo shoot as a reward

Not intentionally.

I can do front splits, side splits? I am way out of practice.

(A Clydesdale/Moose doing Dressage)

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

The only splits I can do, besides eating banana splits, is singing the 1960's kids tv show theme song for Banana Splits. ....one banana, two banana, three banana , four.......

one banana, two banana, three banana, four
    four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.
    Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
    comin'on to bring you the banana splits show

makin' up a mess of fun,
    makin' up a mess of fun
    lots of fun for everyone
    tra la la, la la la la
    tra la la, la la la la
    tra la la, la la la la
    tra la la, la la la la

four banana, three banana, two banana, one
    all bananas playin' in the bright warm sun.
    Flippin' like a pancake, popping like a cork
    fleegle, bingo, drooper an' snork
    <3

- mm
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Are you training to be a cheerleader or a ninja?

A ninja-cheerleader?

Interesting. Just what are you trying to "split" Hon?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Not any more, I cant even touch the floor between my legs with my nose any more.

I made a lot of money when I could.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gone to live my life
    I only did them once a long time ago and quite by accident. I was running outside during the winter (very icy). As I was passing a bus stop my forward stride hit ice and voila . . . full splits. The girl at the bus stop said [I]"it sure is good you are so flexible"[/I] To which I replied "I am not that flexible" . . . I could not run for two weeks after that due to groinus interuptus

Hugs

Isha

When I was younger and doing martial arts 4 times a week, I could do them. Now I'm still quite flexible.. but going completely 180° sadly is too much.
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Male bodies are built differently than female bodies and our mechanics are different. So if you keep up with your stretching Im sure in time you would be able to but it will take alot of work.

My real question is Why?
    Erica

Do the splits today? Umm no. Had an unintentional experience with the splits playing in a football game in High School, could not play or practice for two weeks. Hurts now just to think about it.

I used to do both splits. Now I can barely reach half way through. But I believe that I'm still fexible and it is nothing to do with splits

forward split yep. sidewise... sadly not anymore, only 100 degrees. ah... but I am a girl though. not that that makes any difference in the ability to do splits. Boys with the boy equipment, should just make sure they land softly where were the days I could a sideway 180 and go flat on the ground in between my legs. flat... not only my nose but stomach and all. and yes... I am not exactly skinny (read between the lines) but still very flexible. keep practicing.

darn. quick test showed that I also cannot do the forwards anymore. OK. that needs some practicing than as well...
    Last edited by Elkeliini; 04-29-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: additional information gain by empirical observation.

Women, in general, are significantly more flexible than men.

Jodi

35 years ago yes. Today the splits would result in splints.
    Live and let dress.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferYager View Post
    ...I wish I was more flexible like a girl. ...
    girls/women are no more flexible than boys/men. There is nothing physiological that creates an advantage. In my family, I am the most flexible, including my two girls and my wife. Anyone who stretches enough, can do this.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Not since the Powder Puff games in high school

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm limber but not THAT limber.

I used to play hockey...goalie to be exact. Does being able to do the butterfly count? And thats with 20lbs of equipment on too!
    HUGS

Isha, sounds like it hurt rather badly!

I know plenty of guys that can do the splits, whether its for martial arts or dancing or whatnot. I figure the stretching routines will help me stay in shape and maybe make me a little more resilient.

Ouch, no. I am really inflexible. I am doing yoga once a week (not enough, but it's a start) to try to retain whatever flexibility I have left.

I've been taking ballet for the last four years and it has greatly improved my flexibility. About six months ago I was able to do the side splits and touch my forehead to the floor. I've never been able to completely do a front split, but I've gotten pretty close with the left leg front. However, I stopped stretching regularly for a while and lost my splits. I'm working on them again.

Never been able to do the splits, not even as a young (<10y) child. Some people are more flexible than others.

Congratulations on your initiative and perseverance in starting to make yourself more flexible. It's not that older males cannot be flexible and limber, it's just that most men weren't into stretching and flexibility even when they were athletes in high school, and by the time they reach thirty most are too fat, lazy and out-of-shape to even think about getting started on Yoga or other flexibility regimes.

Martial Arts are a good way to develop flexibility, as anyone who has seen a Jean Claude Van Damme or Jackie Chan movie knows. I started doing Tae Kwon Do with some Korean Marines who were camped near my unit during the Vietnam
    War, and kept doing it. As a result, although I'm a bit over sixty, I can do about a 90 % split, and can easily hook my leg over a ballet dancer's barre to stretch my hamstrings like the girl in your gym.

We are ALL looking forward to your cheerleader photo shoot!