Thread: Kids say the most interesting things

Kids say the most interesting things

I work with many school districts and agencies around the Bay Area as an independent contractor/consultant. Providing services as a behaviorist for those diagnosed with disabilities or have behavior problems. I have been doing this type of work for the past 7 years and while it can be draining and challenging, it's rewarding at the same time.

A typical day would be in a classroom with 10+ kids all scripting lines from different movies at the same time for 5 hours straight everyday. Imagine hearing movie lines rom frozen, tangled, cars, Thomas the tank engine, and Mickey Mouse club house. It can make somedays interesting to say the least. The kids I work with can also say some interesting things, especially about the things they observe. While they have a disability, nothing can get past them and they don't have the ability to discern in what they say.

And this seems to hold true as I started my process of transitioning and presenting myself more androgynously. In the past few months, I have had kids make comments about my hair, the clothes I wear, my pierced ears, or how my arms are shaved. They even sometimes stare at me and give me funny looks as if they want to say something, but don't. Just the other day, a 2nd grade boy caught me off guard, when we came up to me and the first thing he said was that I smelled girly and ran away (and it happen to be the one day I was in drab). There's not much I can do other then smile and continue about my work.

Platinum Member
    Hi Billie, You can never underestimate what a kid will say.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Billie, I'm reminded of an old show that Art Linkletter did intitled "KIds say the darndest things". I was amazing some of the things that would come out, some things that we as adult think but do not say out loud, and some things that I'm sure that the parents had hoped to keep secret!

I think its great that you work with those kids with disabilities, I'm sure that it's hard work that can really wear you down, it's somewhat like being in the minstry. Be sure to take enough time for yourself that you don't burn out. I also know that I could not do what you are doing.

Hugs Bria

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    So awesome Billie.

Billie,
    Kids are also a discerning lot.

They notice subtle differences more readily.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Billie,
    Very nice looking avatar photo, btw.

It's so funny to see things from a kid's point of view. They surprise you. I recently came out to my 7-year old daughter. I was sure she suspected something was odd, because I tend to wear nailpolish and jewelry:

Me: "So, you know how I'm not like some of the other dads?"
    Her: "You mean because you play a lot of video games?"
    Me: "... No, that's not it..."

Later, as she was looking through some of my girly stuff, she goes:
    "So, when you're really, really old, can I have some of your jewelry?"

In the next few days, she must have asked me five times when she can get a wig of her own. Priceless.
    "Your hands are cold but your lips are warm..."

Interesting experiences, Billie - kids (and particularly those with mild disabilities, like Asperger's) can be both very observant and blunt if they either haven't learned, or just don't appreciate the norms that society imposes on us over time... They'll see right through the big cues that adults would stall at and cut right to the heart of what makes us who we are... Obviously, regardless of how you're dressed, your giving off girly vibes and perhaps more...?

Presumably you're not disappointed...?

What a great vocation you have too!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Six View Post

"So, when you're really, really old, can I have some of your jewelry?"

Well, can she? When you are really really old?

Quote Originally Posted by Christie ann View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Six View Post
    "So, when you're really, really old, can I have some of your jewelry?" \.
    Well, can she? When you are really really old?
    By her standards, that's about 6 months, tops.

Kids, hours of fun!
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Yes, this is really me! shayleetv's Avatar
    In a bedroom community outside Salt Lake City, Utah.
    Now that I am retired I volunteer at an elementary school as well as at a nursing home. At the school I here lots of things that I'm sure the parents would die if they knew about some of the family "secrets" their kids have told me. This year I was told about a crossdressing brother that has his own wardrobe. He is now in middle school and has his own makeup and 2 wigs. And yes I tutored him in the 1st grade for reading and math also. His brother tells me every once in a while about his brothers' adventures into femininity. At first I thought it might be his imagination but kids like this boy can't keep his stories straight, but the dressing stories seem to be pretty consistent.
    A few years ago one boy said to me after hearing a group of girls talking about their Easter dresses that he "Really, really wanted to be a girl." He was in the sixth grade and I was in their class to do some slight of had tricks a a demonstration of observation. I was sitting next to him as the teacher was about to start the class.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your troubles, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

Kids are probably the most likely to notice something different about us but they are also the least likely to judge.

Keep on doing what you are doing, we need more people willing to go into your line of work.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

My day never has a dull moment and today the same student that said I smell girly, caught me off gaurd when he came up to me while I was with a couple other students and adults and said something to the effect that I looked like a girl/if I was a girl. It took me a few minutes to think and I didn't know what to say. Especially since I was in drab today, except underdressed and women's pants. I wasn't wearing makeup, no nail polish, semi short hair, still use a male voice, not on HRT, have stuble on my face, and wearing earrings. Maybe there's something more and I'm missing in how I'm presenting myself. Maybe I have gone through subtle changes and give off more girly vibes now. But I'm not disappointed and am viewing things that are said as markers in where I'm at in my progress and what I still need to work on in presenting myself as Billie.