Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking better pictures

Taking better pictures

One of the things that if really enjoy doing enfemme is taking pictures of myself. I have some great equipment ( Canon 7D and several professional lenses. I generally use a tripod, would focus on where my face would be, set the timer and then jump into the picture.

Many of my pictures would be fuzzy, because my focusing would be guess work. Well I just learned that they make a wireless remote for my camera which I bought today for only $20.00. Now I can be in front of the camera when I take the picture and let the autofocus do its thing.

I should get an opportunity for a little photo shoot and look forward to the improved results.

I hope it works for you better than doing the 20 second sprint like I do also Lately my SO has been taking most of my pictures but she has a knack for cutting off the top of my head or my feet. Though she has taken some of the best pictures that I have to date. I don't have a really expensive camera so I doubt they make a remote. Just make sure the remote is concealed before the flash or you'll ruin your shots
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

The better the camera the worse my photos.... I looked amazing at 1 megapixel! lol... and I always have issues with focus.... that's why I set off Auto and set it fixed....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I had the same problem using an auto focus very good point and shoot camera. Unfortunately, that model does not work with remote shutter releases. I would run the same routine that you do minus pre-focusing the lens. I think that the my auto focus would start focusing when I pressed down on the delayed release shutter to start the timer. Then, t would nor properly readjust with me in the picture. Working with a flash sometimes helped, but not all of the time.

I just bought a much better DLSR and then bought the remote device for $10.00 on eBay. I have yet to use it, and hopefully it will result in consistently sharp picture.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Taking pictures and posting them here is a lot of fun. I don't have anyone to take them for me but still it's fun, feel like a fashion model

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    I need to get a better camera. Old one broke - it took really nice pictures. Its cheap replacement leaves a lot to be desired; my most recent pics are awful, lighting and color-wise, even with some photoshopping. Still, tripod and timer make a huge difference. I have a mini tripod with flexible legs, so I can put it almost anywhere.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jackie, I have one for my Nikon D90 I would be lost without my remote.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

The remote controls work very well and are a boon.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Jackie-

Yay! Good for you. I love my remote. It is so much fun taking pictures with it. I go nuts with how many I take now. I really like the age of digital cameras!

What's your favorite lens for self portraits? I used to have a Sigma 20mm/1.8 paired with a Canon 20d, back in the old days when I used to post a lot of pictures on this forum! I sold it to buy a Canon 15-85 EF-S lens, which is excellent for everything except self-portraits while crossdressing. The aperture is not wide enough for indoor low-light shots, and the zoom creeps somewhat, messing up the composition when you race quickly in front of the camera. It is extremely challenging to operate a camera while dealing with the 1,000 other issues while dressed (outfits, makeup, hair, pose, background, lighting, etc., etc.) I'm considering the new-ish Canon 24/2.8IS prime lens specifically for CD self portraits (now with a Canon 60D), but I haven't made the leap! Any advice on which lens to use?
    Been around for a while, been away for a while. On the verge of coming back...Help me!

Yes I have the same problem with focus and my DSLR. Hoping to upgrade soon as mine is over 10 years old. Planning to get one with wifi for remote control with my smartphone. Most likely the Canon 70D unless something new comes out. Should help increase my keep ratio.

So true NJCD,
    I love photography. I have been checking out my house for all possible photo backgrounds, lighting and places to sit the camera or set up my tripod. I had good luck recently setting my camera on a window ledge looking in. Sit on the floor. Self-timer. Soft light if its a cloudy day.
    And me too, Dana, 21 mm lens, f 2.6. You cannot really set the autofocus in self-timer mode because you are standing right in front of the camera. Recently I have been using manual focus.
    And if I use no glasses or my wrong-prescription girly glasses--I have to quick change glasses in order to view the camera control screen.

Aspiring Member
    i use a wireless remote for my canon 60d, and have pretty been pretty satisfied with my photos. Additionally, by 60d has a flip out screen and live view, so I can compose my pose prior to pushing the remote.

Wireless remotes are great. I have a couple of those wireless flash triggers that also work as a camera trigger. One trick to get the correct in-focus distance is to tie a string to your camera and stretch it out to your nose...drop it out of view just before you shoot. Many cameras also have remote control on a laptop which allows you to focus, compose and shoot...so if you can set up your laptop just out of view, within reach you should be able to get a perfect shot.
    Chickie

The best of both Worlds! Paula_Femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danam View Post
    What's your favorite lens for self portraits? I used to have a Sigma 20mm/1.8 paired with a Canon 20d, back in the old days when I used to post a lot of pictures on this forum! I sold it to buy a Canon 15-85 EF-S lens, which is excellent for everything except self-portraits while crossdressing... Any advice on which lens to use?
    Hi Danam

Although it's not my day-job, I would describe myself as a "photographer;" these days I specialize in photographing musicians/bands in clubs, bars, and the occasional arena, and in the past I've shot portraits and figure work in professional studios.

The "classic" portrait lens is 85mm, on a 35mm FILM camera, but of course these days we're almost all shooting on dSLR's, and unless you're a pro - or win the lottery!!! - the sensor in our camera's is going to be "cropped," or smaller than a 35mm film negative.

Sorry, I know this is a lot of blah blah blah, but please stay with me; my main body is the Canon 7D, which has a cropped "C" sensor, the same size as the Rebels. A 50mm lens, or setting a zoom at the 50mm mark, on a cropped "C" sensor camera is so close to the "classic" 85mm FILM camera lens it makes no difference.

If you PM me I can explain this in great detail, as well as send you links that'll take you as far into the subject as you'd reasonably want to go.

I have shot tight, portrait style shots in clubs and bars using my 50mm, and 70-200mm zoom lenses, WITHOUT flash, and the results have been outstanding... even though I do say so myself! LOL!

Once again, if you PM me I can send you hi-res samples and tell you how I took and processed the shots.

But basically a dSLR, a 50mm or larger lens, a tripod, a remote control, flash if available - even on-camera - and with very little trial and error you should be able to improve your self portraits enormously!

Good luck!!!
    Paula
    Black is ALWAYS the, "New Black!"
    "I really hate it when people accuse me of wearing Womens clothes... these aren't Womens clothes... I f*****g bought them!!!" Eddie Izzard.

Danam - 'Favorite lens' I guess it depends on the type of shot I'm trying to take. I've someone limited space in my home, so I find myself using a Canon 16-35 2.8 when taking full head to toe shots as I need the wide angle to get all of me in the shot. If I'm shooting 3/4 or head shots, I'll generally use my 50mm 1.4 or 28-80mm 2.8 lens.

Paula - I'm aware of the cropping factor of most of the dlsrs on the market including my Canon 7D. The only lens which I really feel the difference is when using my 16-35. With this lens I'd really rather do without the cropping factor so I can shot as wide as possible. However when using my 70-200mm 2.8, I like the cropping factor as it give me up to a 280 mm focal length which is helpful when I shoot things like sports

I take pretty good photos (I am a better photographer than I am a good looking gurl) by putting my camera on a tall tripod and positioning a full length mirror against it so that as I face the camera I am looking at the mirror. Done right you can see pretty well what the lens is seeing. I use a remote with the camera set on a three second delay.

Banned Read only
    I use a sony wifi camera and use my smart phone to control it, there is a program called playmemories and you can view your camera image in real times through you phone's screen this is very handy when you want the right pose and just look at your pose on you phone then hit the screen and the shoot the image

The best of both Worlds! Paula_Femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by njcddresser View Post
    Paula - I'm aware of the cropping factor of most of the dlsrs on the market including my Canon 7D. The only lens which I really feel the difference is when using my 16-35. With this lens I'd really rather do without the cropping factor so I can shot as wide as possible.
    Hi njcddresser

For ultrawide shots, across the front of a stage for instance, I use a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, a terrific lens, and depending on how you use it, you can get some pretty funky "forced perspective" effects in your photos.

Of course, and depending on the subject matter, at the 11mm end of the scale the volume anamorphosis distortion is pretty brutal, but that can be corrected fairly easily.

All the best
    Paula
    Black is ALWAYS the, "New Black!"
    "I really hate it when people accuse me of wearing Womens clothes... these aren't Womens clothes... I f*****g bought them!!!" Eddie Izzard.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    After investing thousands into top quality photo gear in the 70s, I've managed to keep it pretty simple in the digital age. A cheap Fuji 10 megapixel with a professional tripod from my film camera days for my house camera, and another cheap point and shoot Fuji for my purse. I get excellent results as evidenced on my Flickr site.

My remote is a wireless mouse. The camera is built in to the imac, so photos start getting blurry 3 feet from the screen anyway.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Read only
    Any "real" CDer worth their salt, would have a camera with MANUAL focus and know full well how to use it. And/or one that shoots video at enough quality where stills can be pulled or have an editing program to do it. An SLR is not needed, nor a pile of fancy lenses. [although they are fun to have] Throw in a decent tripod and a self timer. Three hundred dollars worth of stuff will easily get one there. Two hundred or less with just a little effort.

The only other thing and THE most important is some basic knowledge of LIGHTING - THE single most important element in ANY pic. A basic primer on posing is also very helpful.

I've just begun using a free android app named "DslrDashboard" on my Galaxy Note-II, connected via an On The Go (OTG) cable and long USB cable to control my Nikon D-5100 on a tripod. I use "Live View" to a compose the shot on the Note-II screen, and have full control of nearly all of the camera's functions via DslrDashboard controls. The OTG cable transforms the Note-II from "slave" to a "master" and converts the micro-usb to a female usb. It is also useful for connecting other USB accessories to the Note-II. I am considering getting a wireless USB adapter so I can be further from the camera than the USB cable length limitation.

I hang a solid color bed sheet on the wall for a backdrop. If natural light from our large windows is inadequate, I bounce the flash off the ceiling with fill light reflected off a white sheet on the floor. I'm satisfied with the backdrop solution but one day I will break down and buy proper lighting. Just not today.

I really miss the fast prime lenses I had for my film cameras and hope one day to get some for this one. Although a little short for portrait work, a fast 28mm ("normal" for this crop factor) would be my first acquisition and used as a general purpose lens. Until then, I'm using a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. It's fast enough and sharp enough for nearly everything that I do.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Practice, practice, practice!
    I have a 5D2 with too many "L" lenses...the one I use is the 24-70 F2.8 for Karen pics. I set it up with just center point AF, set the camera to Aperture mode with the lens set at f2.8, then use an wireless remote to fire away! LOL....sometimes I can have 200 or more frames in a session and will spend hours playing with them in a photo editor. Most get tossed, and a few get smiles!
    Most of all, have FUN! It's not a contest, it's just recording the wonderful charm of YOU!!
    Hugs
    Karen
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

Uh oh... you guys are talking my language now.

I'm not saying that anyone here is claiming this, but a lot of comments so far have been sort of implying this :

"I need a better camera to take better pics"

This could not be farther from the truth. The single one element that is absolutely required to take better pics, is you. The more experience and knowledge of camera operation you know, the more likely that you will know how to capture better shots.

A better camera (or gear) will get you technical things like, faster operation, more resolution, wider angles, more reach, etc. None of which will make, or guarantee, better pics.

Mind you, if you have a camera that is very limited in it's manual control ability, switching to a model with full manual control will at least give you a more capable camera. However, if you are unaware of when or how to use the manual controls, then they are really of no benefit. Even most dSLRs when switched to full-auto, have the same chance of getting the wrong focus as any old point & shoot. In fact, due to the smaller (tiny) sensors of most P&S cameras, they actually have a higher chance of getting focus correct because they have extremely deep depth of focus. Even at very wide aperatures (comparatively to a cropped or full frame dSLR). The moment that you know how (and why) to use any manual function of the camera, you have already become smarter than the camera.

Experience is the greatest teacher...Look at lots of photos, shoot lots of photos, and never throw anything away (unless it something like a fully blown out or black frame). You should always keep your bad shots. They are learning tools, and good markers of progress. If you find yourself looking at them down the road, you will recognize when you made mistakes and understand how to avoid them in the future.

As for what to buy, I actually would not suggest getting a dSLR unless you are an experienced photographer, know how to use a camera in fully manual mode, and are okay with the weight and bulk of a dSLR. Otherwise, a good quality P&S with manual controls will work just fine. And for the purpose of uploading pics for online viewing, resolution is not that important until you want to start printing REALLY BIG prints (like bigger than 30x20). Pretty much ANY camera will have at least 10MP and that is WAY more than enough for online posting, and printing quite large. Summary ; a good P&S will be able to handle 95% of all shooting situations.

For someone who was looking to buy some gear (starting from nothing) to take portraits, or self portraits, I would suggest the following :

- a decent P&S with fully manual controls, zoom range that starts at 24mm or 28mm (useful for indoors and small rooms) and preferrably a flip out screen.
    - another useful feature is the ability to take a series of pictures (usually 10) that start after a 10 second timer. A lot of Canon P&S models have this feature... I like it a LOT.
    - a decent tripod
    - two umbrellas with stands
    - two flashes capable of IR slave function (to be triggered from on camera flash) and swiveling heads

*NOTE* Flashes that take 4 AA's will fire (charge) faster than ones that only take 2AA's. This is important because in order to be triggered by the on camera flash (when shooting a series of shots from timer) it needs to be at least as fast as the camera when it comes to repeated firing. If not, it will result in every other photo not being lit by the external flashes. Very annoying.

Here's my typical setup : Camera on tripod, both flashes mounted and bouncing off umbrellas, usually at an angle that is at least head level, or higher. Both stands on either side of the subject, but back somewhere between the subject and the camera. Both flashes are also configured to be triggered from the on-camera flash, so they need to be positioned where the camera flash will be able to hit the sensor on the external flashes. Both are pointed at the subject, around head level. I'm not going to go into too much detail here about direction and firing power, because there are MANY possible setups for producing different lighting styles. (and there are PLENTY of lighting tutorials online and Youtube) But even with both flashes set to around the same output will produce results that will absolutely blow away any on-camera flash photo. Oh and one last thing, set the on-camera flash to the lowest possible output that will still trigger the flashes.

I actually own a Canon 40D dSLR, but because of the significant difference my flashes make in light quality, I use my ancient Canon A620 for my self portraits because of the 10 series timer and flip out screen. I could use my 40D but it's actually more of a pain because it doesn't do 10 consecutive shots after a timer.... I REALLY like that feature of the A620.
    Last edited by Tracy Hazel Lee; 05-06-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr