Thread: Is CDing hereditary?

Is CDing hereditary?

So I was thinking about my Dad, who stopped being a part of my life a long time ago, I always remember how much he enjoyed wearing Dutch cogs, you know the traditional Dutch footwear for women. He also visited drag shows and at times CD bars, claiming guys form work invited him. He was always super excited when he talked about how much fun they were.

My son also likes to dress up, when he was younger he would live to wear his sisters clothes, I think he became a little bit more embarrassed as he grew up but he still likes to wear his old Halloween customers, I see a lot of myself in my son and I know he just loves dressing up.

I wonder if CDing is hereditary, I'm pretty sure my dad used to do it and my son is super comfortable when he does it, anyone else shares this experience? And did it influenced who you are today?

Michelle, I don't have anything but this anecdote to share...I am familiar with. Girl here in Michigan whose father dressed and whose son also dresses...three generations.
    Hugs

Michelle,
    This has been discussed extensively by others before you.
    It is an old question and I am curious to see what answers you get from relative newcomers.
    In my opinion no.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I seriously doubt it my friend. There are simply no hard and fast rules when it comes to CDing.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Of course anecdotal evidence isn't evidence at all. A couple years before my mother died she told a story about catching my father in one of her outfits. He certainly displays many characteristics you would expect from someone deep in denial.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

My mother told me this story not too long ago. During the War Between The States my mom's great grandfather lived in the mountains of western North Carolina. Many of the mountaineers there were either outright pro union or just felt they didn't have a dog in that fight and wanted to be left alone. Occasionally a Confederate patrol would sweep through the area to round up able bodied men to press into the army. My great great grandfather would dress in women's clothing in order to make his escape right under their noses and he managed to stay out of that war. I'd never heard that story before and thought it was interesting although it bears no relation to why I do it.

I am not sure about hereditary but it may be something that rubs off on those around us. My youngest son has all the traits that I have and I believe he will someday be a CDer also. I just hope my wife starts to be a lot more tolerant towards GLBT issues so we don't damage our relationship with him.

Platinum Member
    It could be. I can't say from my family, but my therapist sees it as a genetic phenomenon. Which leads to an interesting question...if it is genetic, then the characteristic must have a survival value to the species...so what might that be?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Not all things that are genetic have a survival value attached to them. Some people can roll their tongues and others can't. Which is a genetic trait but I don't think it has any survival value. But I could be wrong. I am not a biologist.

I think it's often a mistake to get bogged down into whether a trait is genetic or environmental. As a biologist in a past life, I know that every trait is a combination of the two. You can't have behavior without a genetic component involved in the formation of the brain structures. To a certain degree the structures are "hard coded" by genetics. When we commonly talk about a trait being genetic, we are often thinking about hard coded traits like eye color. However when it comes to behavior, the real question is the degree of plasticity of the brain in response to the environment. The degree of plasticity and the range of potential behavior is genetic, but there is a huge component of environment which plays into any complex behavior. So it's not either one or the other but a combination of the two. There may or may not be a gene or constellation of genes associated with CD behavior, but that's not the end of the analysis.

My 2 cents FWIW.

Platinum Member
    Hi Michelle, Not on my side of the family.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I honestly don't know. I have daughters. Never heard any stories of family members but only my wife knows.

I would not be surprised if my dad did some, and my older twin brothers, too. I found two wig in the barns. There are a lot of secrets in this sick family.

I have been a participant in this forum for two years now, I have enjoyed growing as a man who enjoys presenting as a woman from time to time. I am finding myself and I am finding that I am not alone, there are many like me it there hiding in their homes afraid to show to all who they are, for fear of what people may think. I have learned a lot from others here and have enjoyed, a bit too much sometimes, posting pictures of myself as I imagine my self to be inside.
    I often forget that this forum is not only a place for me to feel I like have arrived at a point, in which I am happy with who I present as female. It is so much more than that, I've forgotten that change of ideas on topics that help us understand where we come from and what affected our lives are more important than me posting my latest pictures. It feels good to be able to interact with my people, it feels even better when I manage to get the ball rolling. Thanks for all of your responses, thanks for sharing your anecdotes, stories and thoughts so far.

I really can't picture any of the men in my family being CDers, certainly not my father. I do however think there is probably some kind of scientific component to my CDing. My mother's doctor was certain I was going to be a girl right up until she could see that I wasn't when I was born. I also have certain physical characteristics and mannerisms/personality traits that skew towards the feminine. Not a day goes by when my SO doesn't say "you are such a woman!" over something.

All that said, I've always identified as primarily male.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Spirit View Post
    ...........Some people can roll their tongues and others can't. Which is a genetic trait but I don't think it has any survival value. But I could be wrong. I am not a biologist.
    The use of a tongue may lead to continuation of the species though .

I couldn't envisage my dad in a dress as he was a complete backside in anything and everything (never say never though). He equated homosexuality to paedophilia (UK spelling) but one of my sons definitely likes dressing up, but more drag than cd. Maybe there's a story to come but in his own time.

Personally, I believe it's just one of those in the womb things that we cannot explain yet. I like being different in this way because otherwise my life will be as per my grave stone. "Here lies a bloody ordinary person" .

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda.clark View Post
    I think it's often a mistake to get bogged down into whether a trait is genetic or environmental. As a biologist in a past life, I know that every trait is a combination of the two. You can't have behavior without a genetic component involved in the formation of the brain structures. To a certain degree the structures are "hard coded" by genetics. When we commonly talk about a trait being genetic, we are often thinking about hard coded traits like eye color. However when it comes to behavior, the real question is the degree of plasticity of the brain in response to the environment. The degree of plasticity and the range of potential behavior is genetic, but there is a huge component of environment which plays into any complex behavior. So it's not either one or the other but a combination of the two. There may or may not be a gene or constellation of genes associated with CD behavior, but that's not the end of the analysis.

My 2 cents FWIW.
    Thanks! This was very interesting and keeps with my own personal thinking that it's a combination of things. You can blame genetics as much as you can blame your mother. And the post man. And George Bush (I do that a lot )

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    if it is genetic, then the characteristic must have a survival value to the species...so what might that be?
    Adaptability; being able to be what you need to be in order to deal with any situation....and, situational awareness, being acutely conscious of our surroundings is a capability that enables us to become aware of a threat faster than others. None of this is in any way connected to crossdressing, but I believe that most of us have higher abilities in those areas than the average guy, and those abilities may be genetically influenced.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I wouldn't have much experience to say...but I'd really love CDing to become more out-in-the-open accepted so we can understand a bit more about trends like this x