Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A crazy idea...

Good idea pending location..... If there's enough people in the aria to support it "if you build it, they will come"
    New York, LA yea, maybe... Out int the middle of BFE Redneckville, forget about it

I'm chiming in rather late here. I had to let your interesting idea, Sammie, simmer in my brain for a day. You know me...LOL!

Having an 88 year old mother myself, and dealing with late-in-life living and caring arrangements, I can see the possible complications for transwomen and crossdressing men in their twilight years. There are three basic phases that oldsters go through depending on their ability to care for themselves. They break down into (1) independent living, (2) assisted-living, and (3) nursing home. Each phase would present its own challenges for the TG/TS/CD person. I would guess that the independent living stage would be the easiest to handle, and where your idea of an LGBT friendly facility makes the most sense, but I'm not sure how much demand there would be for such a place. Most LGBT people are indistinguishable from straight and cis people, so fitting into a diverse residency shouldn't be a problem, especially as societal tolerance gains ground. Crossdressers are more likely to experience prejudice which could lead to the isolation and loneliness you alluded to unless they keep their dressing entirely hidden. Your idea seems most appropriate for these folks. In the second stage, assisted-living, there's more potential for problems since staff people get involved in so many ways which makes one's life style an open book. But, decent assisted living facilities are fairly expensive, and those specializing in care for LGBT would likely be even more so, I would imagine. There certainly are plenty of such folks that can afford a unique living environment like that, but my sense is that many more would not have the income to afford that kind of care. Where does that leave them? I've also found that oldsters tend to get very set in their ways and don't tend to move to distant locations where these kinds of homes would be built. Another consideration : At what point does one's sexual orientation and gender identity even factor into the kind of care or social environment provided? The final stage is the one that is most troubling for every senior citizen. Somehow I can't imagine it making a bit of difference what your gender or sexual orientation is, or was, once you've reached the nursing home stage.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for jostling my brain cells. Keeps me young...hee hee!

Sammie, it's a cracking idea and would certainly solve many issues for aged CD'ers. Where do I sign up

Love to you

Heather X

not new anymore just shy VickieBonne's Avatar
    I like it but hope it's 40 or so years before I need it.