Thread: Surprised by father in law

Surprised by father in law

After working in the garden all morning, I figured I would get comfy for the afternoon before starting some laundry and other chores before my wife got home from work. Got changed into my forms, wig, and nightie and headed downstairs to do the dishes. I got to the bottom of the stairs, made the turn into the entryway, and stopped dead in my tracks. My father in law was sitting at the kitchen table which looks directly at the bottom of the stairs. Busted! Not really knowing what else to do, I made my way into the kitchen and started to do the dishes and we talked about the garden and what I had planted. My father in law knows I dress and has told me as long as his daughter and I are happy it is fine with him. I just haven't shown Tiffany around him that much. Long story short, we talked for a little while and I finished my chores. Total nonissue! Made for a nice morning

Silver Member
    IMO you did the right thing Tiffany by facing the issue! Perhaps showing him your femme side a little at a time won't be as traumatic for either of you. Always be proud, comfortable, and confident in your presentation. Enjoy.

not new anymore just shy VickieBonne's Avatar
    Wow. Good for you.

Platinum Member
    Well done!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Most of the time the anxiety and fear is all in our heads. At the end of the day it's just a bunch of fabric. Since he knows about you and doesn't really care, it shouldn't be a big deal. Then again, I'm still not 100% comfortable around my completely supportive wife and I've never let my mother see anything even though she also knows and doesn't care. Maybe one day I will live up to my words, I'm working on it.

Kudos for being brave.
    For years I hoped I was just a CDer but now I realize I am transgender and that's alright.

Good for you for carrying on.

But i have to know, was your heart pounding out of your chest while talking to your father-in-law. Did the urge to get out of the kitchen increase with time? Or just the opposite and you felt like doing a tango with him?
    I ask these pointed questions because although i would have done what you did. Im not sure how i would feel inside while it was happening. Can you share your internal dialogue? Agan not trying to pry but wondering wjat goes through your head at these moments

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    That is impressive. A class act.

To be honest, once you are busted, you're busted. This happened to me 16 years ago. MY mom and stepfather's opinions were like "So?" They did not care. My mother caught me weaing pantyhoe at 12, and caught me again with my high heels at 25. They did not care one bit, as long as I was fine and healthy.

If it was my father in law, I would have died of a heart attack. Good for you for making a great experience out of it!

Platinum Member
    Hi Tiffany, That's another bridge Concorde , That's great.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Yowza! What a predicament, yet you remained calm and in control. I'm sure your F in law appreciated that faced with such an awkward situation you kept your dignity and composure, which trumps gender identity.

Tiffany,
    Once people know it just takes a little more time for things to settle in.

Looks better for you now.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

whoa!! gotta be a rush to WTF do I do now. You made a great choice, consistent with who you are.
    Hugs,
    Trish

Thanks for everyone's support! My first instinct was to run back upstairs but I think that would have made us both uncomfortable. By just being me I was able to get through all the initial nervousness. Maybe, hopefully, it put my father in law at ease as well.

Tiffany, I have found the same thing. The stress of hiding it just isn't worth it, at least for me (I'm getting too old for that sort of stress!). I hope it did put your father in law at ease. Maybe it is that since we are more relaxed and ourselves when dressed, others sense that and are more relaxed -- or at least more tolerant.
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 05-15-2014 at 05:45 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post right before your post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

These things go much easier when someone knows in advance. Bottom line though; you didn't hid, you didn't run!!!!!! KUDOS TO YOU!!!!!!

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Sounds like you did what was right,

I am glad all worked out well for you.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Aspiring Member
    My ex- father in-law would have beat me to near death.

Own it, get in front of it, and manage it.

I think you hit all three of those Tiffany. Here's a big ol' pat-on-the-back.

(Those words came from a management seminar many years ago. They originally were said in the context of big, unanticipated, problems that affect projects, but they seem to be good advice for lots of life's circumstances.)

Best wishes
    MsVal

Banned Read only
    Hmmmm! I don't think my thong would have been able to catch any of the accident which would hit the floor. Besides, if it were my father in law I would have an accident TWICE! Not from his jaw hitting the floor, because I'd be looking at the ghost of a person I never met before. Lol! How's that for scary and funny. ;.)
    Last edited by samanthasolo; 05-15-2014 at 09:51 AM.