Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 31 is "Male Skirt Metro Ride Day". What are your plans?

Aspiring Member

May 31 is "Male Skirt Metro Ride Day". What are your plans?

Are your planning to wear your skirts in public on May 31? What if you could gather your friends together and start an annual celebration? I think a movement like this would go a long way toward promoting greater social tolerances.

Several cities have organized Saturday, May 31 as a day when men can publicly wear their skirts in public. The idea isn't about passing as a woman, but about expressing our freedom. Why should men be mindless slaves to the tyranny of trousers? This is about freedom people! We need to be brave and openly challenge social convention to advance our rights and freedoms. Why should women be free to wear pants or any men's clothing while men are stigmatized for wearing skirts? Do females have more rights and freedoms than men? No! It is time to expand social tolerances. Get your friends together and encourage them to join you on this mission for male liberation. Men, feel the fresh air up your loins. For more information:
    http://www.yourlivingcity.com/stockh...ide-stockholm/
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1499919720233678/
    http://laist.com/2014/03/11/la_gets_...metro_ride.php

OK, this is obviously very tongue-in-cheek, otherwise it's some of the worst "men's rights" nonsense that I read in a long time

Anyway, I don't own a man-skirt and I don't mix wardrobes and I don't know whether or not this is the best way to promote 'tolerance', so I choose to support my (LGBT) community in other ways.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Go for it.
    Not my idea of gaining trans acceptance tho'.
    Be free and wear what you want.

It's a great idea, but most of it isn't crossdressing. These are mostly men who are redefining a modern kilt style (there are a few kaftans thrown in) - they don't even attempt to look feminine or get in touch with femininity. Not like the members of this forum, if you look at most of the avatars and the pictures in the Gallery?

There is one facebook member in the second link, Dawid Wolny, who does wear women's clothes but he's just about the only one.

Do you think that most of the members are after the look produced by wearing kilts with male shirts, jackets, ties, and male socks and shoes?

I think it's a great look though. I've always loved kilts on a man. Reminds me of Sean Connery.

http://www.sattlers.org/mickey/cultu...allOfFame.html
    Reine

Well they're not going to tell us what we can and can't do. Now we can "legally" wear skirts on May 31st. Whoo Hoo. I don't see much happening with this other than a chuckle or two in the six o'clock news.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

If I am going to wear a skirt I want to look the part.
    Not a man in a dress.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

And They Plan To Ban Women From Wearing Skirts That Day?

"Women are asked to support their male friends at these events, but to refrain from wearing skirts and stick to pants, shorts or leggings that day."

Phooey!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Aspiring Member
    I think we would all like to see greater acceptance of cross-dressing, and ending gender stererotypes. This can only be accomplished one small step at a time, and one person at a time. The creator for the event (Joshua Castro) says, "The movement on the whole addresses a variety of issues that arise from the topic of men in skirts, such as homophobia, sexism, gender-stereotypes, etc. and seeks to break harmful patterns of discrimination in today's Western culture," Castro tells LAist.

I would really like to see social convention end the stigma associated with crossdressing. Today we may only have "Male Skirt Metro Ride Day" (that really doesn't flow off the tongue very easily), in a few years it may transform into National Cross-dress Day.

Next time you go shopping for something pretty and the sales clerk says, "is this for you?" you can respond by saying it's for ending gender discrimination and participating in "Male Skirt Metro Ride Day". You'd be some kind of hero.

I don't know, maybe it's a product of living in a redneck community, but I see a lot of bad coming from this, especially when we add alcohol to the mix.
    I just feel we'll bee seeing a lot of things that are best kept private, both accidentally and bu design.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    There is one facebook member in the second link, Dawid Wolny, who does wear women's clothes but he's just about the only one.
    While I don't know if this Facebook group's admin truly represents this organisation (if you can call it that), he did write some pretty interesting comments below Dawid Wolny's photo. If anyone is wondering if his (and his organisation's) 'mission statement' align with that of transgender rights groups: they do not. His arguments are very cisnormative and bordering on men's rights activism. I'm all for promoting tolerance, but I honestly cannot support his ideas.

I'll do it!!! Oh, wait, we don't have a metro where I live. Guess I'll just dress up like a girl and enjoy it like any other day.

I am with you Reine. I think that it is a great idea. We all gain when someone or some organization does something like this. In a way it is indirect support. If it gets more of us out there, that can only be good for the rest of us, even if those guys only wear skirts and present as a man in a skirt, which by the way is what some of our respected members here do all the time. Every little bit helps and we need all the help that we can get. It definitely does not have to be LGBT focused to help. We need more events like this. One day a year they have wear a wedding dress. It is more for having a lot of fun in a wedding dress and then bar/pub crawling in groups. I am always on the lookout to find that perfectly cheap but presentably stylish ankle length wedding dress to join the festivities.

Silver Member
    While I wholeheartedly support the idea behind this (I hate pants myself!!), I am uneasy with the men's "rights" aspect. "Acceptance" would be a better way to put it, since it isn't illegal to wear a skirt if you are a man (in the USA, anywhere that I know of), that is no "right" being violated, it is society's lack of acceptance that is the issue.

So May 31 is a Saturday - no Metro here... nearest would be the tube in London and I'm darned if I'm going there just to twirl...

I think I'll do what I normally do... if it's warm (should be) I have a short cord skirt I wear in the mornings with a t-shirt... Question is, do I have the brass ones to wear it all through the day... be interesting to see the wife's expression if nothing else!

I think we must treat it as a positive - but the fact that there needs to be a special day just emphasises how much stigma is attached to even one article of clothing...

Let's hope this day never coincides with a 'Go Commando' day too...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

It's obvious from most of the comments why CDing more or less remains a solitary experience. These kinds of things start out with good intentions but invariably end up all over the place.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Oh wow another fly by night "Blah Blah Blah" Day thanks to internet social sites. it is just like the "International Men In Skirts Day" which was promoted for May 1st, 2011 and hasn't been mentioned since

why does it have to be May 31st? Do it; don't do it. Why do you need a day?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

You make a good point Lorileah, but then we all sometimes need some type of encouragement, like a special day, to go out and do what we like, like Thursday night amateur singing at he local bar or pub, or some of the cancer walks that people join to do a good deed and then get off their lazy butts and get in some good exercise. The important thing for me is that they offer the opportunity to do something different for whatever reason. In this case there could be some good side affects for us CD's. Not a lot, but at least some.

Chantal, one never knows if a special day will get any legs and stick around for more years until they try them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. That goes for charitable fund raising days to make a special point days.

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    Confucious,
    Just one point: You stated "Do females have more rights and freedoms than men? No!"
    Actually USA women do have one freedom men do not have. All men in the USA must register for Selective Service and be available from 18 to 26 years old. To not register is a felony and a hefty fine. If anyone wishes to dispute this, may I suggest they go to their local US Post Office and pick up a copy of the Selective Service brochure, which I used for this post.
    US women 18 - 24 do not have this obligation.
    Women in the armed forces are currently serving along side men, both of which have volunteered. This post in no way takes anything away from their service nor implies any difference in respect for that service. This country, the USA, exists today in part because many guys were drafted in WW2, Korea, and Vietman (political view omitted). They went to far off places (many against their will) where all to many made extreme sacrifices.

So women in the USA actually have one freedom that guys don't have.

Billie
    Last edited by BillieAnneJean; 05-15-2014 at 08:04 PM.

What the heck, why not? I don't agree with asking women to refrain from skirts, though. Everyone should be able to partake, and considering that most women opt for pants these days it might be refreshing to see a majority of people in skirts!

I doubt that I'll be anywhere near a Metro that day, but if I were I have a nice denim skirt that would work nicely for boy-in-skirt mode!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Hi,

Oh so its a day to wear a skirt .... okay yet some are saying not unless i go all the way,so is it then a man in a skirt and our men have well over 2000 years of wearing a skirrr...... umm Kilt.. get it right. no no its crossdressing that your really after.

So goes back to what i said before if a skirt was made just for men you wont wear it if its taken from a woman you will. try the other bone and chomp on that. you wont wear a Kilt ether.yet they are designed for us as well you know,

Kilt or skirt ,oh of cause it belongs to us who are Scottish and or colours of our Clans,

So the bottom line is the clothes you wear have to be made for us females okay yet if they are not you wont wear them.

And we wore pants years in fact 100;s of before men would allow women to wear them in the wars. namely the 2nd WW ,

Its very strange to me that our men in the Islands near us have been wearing skirts for over 1000 years. seems no interest there over your way. oh well back to the noddy cave.....

...noeleena...

Platinum Member
    Ok so if we wear skirts every day then we should reframe from wearing skirts that day.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    You make a good point Lorileah, but then we all sometimes need some type of encouragement, like a special day, to go out and do what we like
    I thought that day was called "Halloween".

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I wear a skirt at least part of almost every day, and have done so for the last 9 years. That was when my wife passed away and I had no one to do my makeup and fix my wig. I still like to dress, so I wear a skirt and feminine top and go out in public. Nobody cares!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Ros
    Confucius,
    May 31st is a Saturday. Probably won't wear a skirt that day..