Thread: Handed lemons

Handed lemons

I threw a wonderful dinner party the other night. For girls only.
    It was myself and four other girls. Two Ggs and two other CDs. (not spouses).
    As has already been covered in previous posts, it has been a couple of months since my 40 year marriage has ended. I am trying to force myself to move on. I’m going to wait a year to find myself before dating anyone. And anyone I date will know about Stephanie. I’m not ever going to go through this pain again. But I have no intention of being a vegetable during this time either. I’ve earlier posted how I came out to two couples, and why. All these friends have turned out to be very accepting of Stephanie, which I am very appreciative of. So it is the two wives I invited. It’s been a long time since I have been meeting other CD’s around town, so I really don’t know any new CD’s or how to meet them. Would like to though. But there are two CD’s I have stayed in touch with who I invited as well.
    Back to the dinner party…. I didn’t want this to be a standard dinner party, I wanted a little more fun. So I did the grocery shopping and menu planning prior to everyone showing up. Everyone was let in on what the plans were and to show up around 3:00. When they did show up I handed them each a cute little apron, a summer drink of their choice and let them choose the course they were going to make. I was surprised to learn how little these people knew about cooking. It’s sad how so many people have relied on fast food and prepackaged food to use for meals now-a-days. The art of cooking is being lost. I enjoyed flittering between people helping. We made appetizers, salads, main course and deserts. Then we kicked back and watched a movie. The Ggs had so much fun they stayed late and the three of us just chatted until wee hours of the morning. One made “Stephanie” promise to teach her how to sew. And the other made me promise to go shopping with her soon, since she feels her style needs help and she really doesn’t have any girl friends that she can ask for help.(I thought that was a very nice compliment.) What was really funny to me was when her husband (my senior drafter) came into work the next morning he walked into my office and said I better not let “Stephanies” shopping trips intrude on any hunting or fishing time he has planned for Richard. He felt he should have first dibs on my time, since I was his friend first.
    Nothing like making lemonaid out of lemons.
    Now to start my search for other Phoenix CD’s for the next dinner party

Very cool. Stephanie! Totally creative!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Miller View Post
    What was really funny to me was when her husband (my senior drafter) came into work the next morning he walked into my office and said I better not let “Stephanies” shopping trips intrude on any hunting or fishing time he has planned for Richard. He felt he should have first dibs on my time, since I was his friend first.
    Funny! But that can also be tricky. I have that same situation, my best friend accepts me as a woman but sees me as his guy friend, engaging in sports similar to yours. Meanwhile his wife is one of my closest girl friends. It can get very complicated!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Your post brought tears to my eyes...
    You are so fortunate to have friends so surpportative.
    Sad that afteer 40 years you had to start over, but it appears things are working out!
    Wishing you all the best!

Very happy for your NEW outlook! You will have fun of your own design and control of your time as well! All the best!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Platinum Member
    Hi Stephanie, I am following your journey and this really sounds like you are getting back on the horse.
    It sounds like it was a truly wonderful Evening.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Platinum Member
    Good for you! What a great way to rebound and get a new start!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Girl, get thee to the Food Network and get started with the "Dinner with Stephanie" food show.

Glad you had such a wonderful time with good friends.

Best, Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

You have some very good friends there---good for you! Your confidence, and positive attitude helps them, I'm sure. Happy to see that you are moving forward with life!
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Stephanie,

We all know there will be more ups and downs but this story brought a big smile to my face. It sounds like your lemon aid stand is doing well.

Good for you!! Food network is awesome,have learned some great cooking tip

Stephanie,
    May your new life stay creative and full of adventure.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Good for you, I am glad you are making it out and finding some friends, lets us know about the shopping trip.

Thanks to all of you that are keeping me in your thoughts. This forum is full of love, which is shown by so many.. to so many. Sad that who we are causes so many problems in so many lives.
    Well if the producers of Brini Maxwell's show ever runs short of replacements - I'm signing up! Wouldn't that be a hoot?
    And as for the Food Network? I'm pretty sure it has higher standards (let alone people with higher cooking abilities).
    But I doubt it has as many cute aprons

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    Next time, you can have someone make lemonade!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Stephanie,

What a great story of self discovery and moving forward. You have some great friends there . . . capitalize on that and just have fun being you.

Hugs

Isha

Aspiring Member
    Glad to hear you have some accepting friends now if I ever get to Arizona, I do enjoy cooking and baking one of many things I was taught growing up. When I asked what I needed to learn it I was told you never know when you might need to do it yourself. Needless to say here I am divorced for 20-plus years, do know how to cook and bake, do laundry, sew on buttons if needed and if I had a sewing machine know how to sew.
    Just don't have accepting friends but that is ok for now as my other hobbies keep me going with some friends but would like for the female part of me to enjoy herself at times also.

I thought you were gonna say, wrap them (the lemons) in some tissue paper and use them to stuff your bra!

I like how you pushed people out of their comfort zone for this party - 'you prepare the food course you choose' and that you all enjoyed it so much. My feeling would be that being outside their comfort zones regarding other things helped all your guests feel more comfortable with each other.

Good luck for your next party!

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!