Thread: crossdressing sketches

crossdressing sketches

why is it i wonder that crossdressing is portrayed as a bit of a comical farce! comedians like kenny evertte an benny hill were always in sketches where he was the business man on one side and a sexy woman on the orther side,... also like in christmas panto mines there's always the man who plays the dame an oh course loves to play the carroator
    LET THE INNER WOMAN SHINE THROUGH

Much of humor is setting the brain up to expect one thing and then giving it another. Men in women's clothing is certainly that. That was the hook behind this famous pantyhose commercial:

To treat crossdressing in some way other than comedy would require that it be portrayed as either sexy or sinister. I don't think that the world is ready for a sexy CDer outside of perhaps the musical theater, and I really don't want to see another sinister CDing murderer on film
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Because people found it entertaining.

One of the reasons I first dressed at parties.

Because I was seriously introverted.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

girly girl
    I think a good portion of society is not ready to face this concept in a serious way. It's much easier to laugh at it than it is to understand it.

Thank you Eryn for posting that link - I had forgotten about that ad. It's even better now than when it ran.

Platinum Member
    Hi FT, It makes people laugh.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

If you think about it, you'll note that the men dressed as women in comedy sketches are clearly men dressed as women. That's why it's funny -- humor usually results when two parts of reality don't line up as expected. The humor can come from several different places: it can be that the men are acting out stereotypes of how women are perceived by men rather than how women actually are (pretty much anything by Monty Python.) It can be that the big, burly guy is acting as if he's a slender fashion model (i.e. he's out of touch with his physical reality.) It can be that the big, burly guy is being treated as if he's a slender fashion model (i.e. reality is out of touch with the audience.) There are lots of variations -- as many as there are expectations for how various bits of reality should line up.

There are also cases of women dressed as men who are obviously women who are dressed as men. Again, funny (e.g. "Mr. Prostitute" in Yellowbeard.)

If they had a man dressed as a woman who was completely passable, then it wouldn't be funny -- nobody would know.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Why do u think they make comic zombie movies?

People LOVE to be scared and to laff at things that scare them! Ergo with CD's as Eryn said!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Because they know it works. Uncle Miltie and Flip Wilson used it to the hilt.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Well for someone who enjoys both of these "Crossdressing & Comedy" I felt a bit sad that you named Benny Hill "Yawn" so old and not current in the world of Crossdressing if your going to put entertainment into the equation.
    Lets look at some finer points of CD comedy or Drag. Danny la rue - Larry Grayson - John Inman - Hinge and bracket - Steve coogan "Pauline calf" - Dustin hoffman "Tootsie" - Paul o'grady "Lily savage" - Eddie izzard. Just a few... I think what it boils down to is.
    A. What do you find funny.
    I guess its all about what floats your boat even tho were all in the same one!
    Naturally I like to rock it and see who really wants to swim
    So if you do come across a CD whos a comedian then don't go all Benny Hill on them, give them some support. They could actually be trying to show CDs in a modern and good light...