Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What Caused You to Become a Crossdresser?

The analysis by WPATH, The World Professional Association for Transgender Health.

WPATH essentially says that many crossdressers and other transgender people have, to some degree, a gender identity which does not match the sex assigned to them at birth.

They also say in their "Standards of Care," that "gender identity... [is] understood to be firmly established by age 4, though for some transgender individuals, gender identity may remain somewhat fluid for many years."

(From http://www.wpath.org/site_page.cfm?p...n_webpage=3947 ).

__________________________________________________ ___________

WPATH, formerly known as the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association, wrote the Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People.

WPATH's web site is at www.WPATH.org .

A PDF of The Standards of Care, version 7 (2011), is at
    http://www.wpath.org/uploaded_files/...0SOC,%20V7.pdf .

__________________________________________________ ___________

I am a retired Computer Programmer, formerly with a large corporation, and part of my job was recommending which hardware and software the company should buy.

Another part of my job was doing research on various things, and then providing the company with the results of my research.

If I had just given them my opinions (recommendations) about what they should buy, but not provided any documentation about how I developed my recommendations, they would have told me that they needed documentation showing how I developed my recommendations.

The same was true when I was in college. My professors did not want just my opinions, but supporting documentation about how I developed those opinions.

===
    Last edited by tina99; 05-22-2014 at 05:29 PM.

I've read all of the posts and some a few times. I can identify with what many have said. I agree that females are by and large treated better and are more highly valued than males. I've always thought this way. Females have so many more choices in life as well. My parents definitely treated my sister better then me. With that said, I'm not so sure that my experiences had anything to do with my cross dressing.

I can remember bad as far as when I was about four playing with any trying on my mothers bra. When I was a little older I recall looking at a lingerie ad in the Life Magazine wondering if I would grow up to look like that. I was never all that athletic and was always the last to be chosen on a team to play ball. I liked doing less competitive things more. When I was about eight I wondered why I wasn't born female. I stated dressing fully when I was about 13. I skipped the wear one item of female clothing at a time then add to it. I wanted to look as female as I could from the start. I have no idea why I started. I just did. It just felt like the natural thing to do. I was happier with what I saw in the mirror. Then I grew up and now I'm a larger build cannot pass and appear extremely masculine. The biggest issue that I've faced is not feeling like I belong anywhere. I identify with females more than I do males but I'm not accepted as one. I try to fit in with males but I struggle with that. I've come to accept who and what I am.

I'm grateful that this forum helps me find many others out there who are like me. Now I don't feel all alone.

I was a late comer here. In my early forties I had to spend some time away from home studying and later on working abroad. I missed my leggy mini-wearing wife and I found a flared mini that fitted me, shaved my legs one evening and paraded in front of a mirror admiring my bottom half feminine appearance.

First it was the powerful sexual buzz associated with pulling on tights and a short skirt. That was way before digital photography and the internet. Later on with the acquisition of boobs & wigs it became the narcissistic camouflage thing. I could take 25 years off the appearance of the old dial by hiding it under make up & a wig.
    This reinforced the dressing up bit, which was enhanced by fitting breastforms & pumps bought on the internet. As for 'passing' or living 'en femme', they were both a complete non-starter, so the pleasure was & remains totally private.

M.

Banned Read only
    For me it wasn't genetics. It wasn't due to a bullying female figure. I strongly doubt I'll ever get a sex change, or even take hormones.

It's just something I tried and found that I liked. The biggest mental trauma in all of this for me is that it's a somewhat expensive activity.

One of the things that continues to amaze me, is the huge percentage who insist that what they believe caused GID in themselves, MUST be the only possible answer for all of us. While I understand the tremendous desire to believe that there are lots of other people similar to yourselves, still, it staggers the mind how closed minded such a huge part of our civilization is. Why is it so difficult to accept that others have had a different path in life than you have?
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Cross dressing has been a part of my life since before I can remember, its just taken different shapes and played different roles. We in my family often joke about me having been the forgotten child (youngest of three) which really rings true. My sister was the center of attention and I think I too had some envy for that. Curiosity brought me into her closet and form there It just became this compulsion.

I wouldn't say that I started "truly" accepting my femme side until college. It was when I first realized how depressed I was. I first dressed up for a drag ball at school and the escape was what sunk me in. It became a way for me to not be me. When I finally lived on my own, I spent a summer dressed as much as I could and online. The confidence I got from people telling me how beautiful and cute I was became intoxicating. I think that experience, that acceptance, thats what really caused me to become who I am.

I don't know if I agree with you when you say females are treated better :/ There is a very prominent male privilege in this world that many of us happen to benefit from.
    Last edited by Mimi; 05-26-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts. Please edit your original post to add content.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymee144 View Post
    I don't know if I agree with you when you say females are treated better :/ There is a very prominent male privilege in this world that many of us happen to benefit from.
    Depends. Males tend to get paid more, but also thrown in jail more. And if a man ever finds himself in a custody battle with an ex-wife he'll probably find the woman is seen as the more important parent by default.

I don't even want to think what would have happened if I had been a CDer when I divorced my ex. I'm not sure I would have even been able to see my kid.

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    What caused me to become a crossdresser:
    DNA-CLIPART-2.jpg

What tried to keep me from being a crossdresser:
    Parents and family
    Peer pressure
    Bullies in school
    Friends
    Media
    Religious brainwashing
    Career
    What I assumed the girls wanted in a man
    The laws in the state of Texas when I was growing up (it was called “female impersonation” and it was illegal)

And who knows WTF else!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Last edited by Stephanie Sometimes; 05-22-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

Aspiring Member
    I have no idea what caused this. It has always been part of me, as far as I know. The very first question that I recall asking as a little kid had to do with gender aspects of clothing. The first several questions, in fact.

Causality, as my electrical engineering professors taught me, is difficult to establish and requires much more rigor than mere correlation. As I cannot identify a time before crossdressing appeared in my life, identifying and proving a cause is too difficult for me to establish.

My professors also taught me that a causality is a powerful thing, leading to, but not guaranteeing, an ability to influence and control the behavior of a system, whether simple and inanimate or much more complicated and even biological in nature. (The final exam in my second course in control theory was a biological system control: Controlling gypsy moths in New England, a complicated control problem and one in which causality is subtle and important. Proven causality influences oaks much differently than it influences pines, for example. And that bio system must be kept unstable, odd as that may sound.)

What would happen if I could identify and prove a cause? Would this cease? I doubt it, but I cannot say for sure. Some things cease when the cause is removed and other things do not. Would I really want it to cease? Not really. Fortunately, I enjoy it and it shows no signs of disappearing from my life, my wife's opinions notwithstanding.

If anything, this rambling may help reinforce the notion that causality is difficult to establish and, even when proven, it remains a fact that is difficult to apply effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymee144 View Post
    See, it's those good things (or privileges as some like to see them) that we often forget about because we've always had them. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. In today's western society, women have gained so much that it's easy to envy parts of their lives; so much so, that we feel the burden of male responsibility that much more, and so it's easy to view a girl's life as more carefree and devoid of all those responsibilities. Men rarely consider all the difficulties that women have to deal with on a day to day basis throughout their lives.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

What caused me to be a crossdresser?

I was born!
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Ha, finally someone has asked me why I dress????? I grew up in a very stressful family unit. I also found out that I was supposed to be a girl at birth but I am a male(NOT LIKING IT ONE BIT)!!!!! I liked the way girls looked when dressed up, how they smelled, how they walked, how they talked and everything else a female does. I found that I liked very feminine underwear and started wearing the things of my lust at an early age. As I grew older my penchant for dressing became stronger and I wanted to be a girl more than anything else. I "borrowed" moms stuff and always tried to put the things back the way I found them but I knew mom knew what I was doing, and she never said a word to me. I did finally tell her out of necessity and she just nodded her head and said that she knew.

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Born this way or early childhood development? One thing I remember about my 4th birthday. I got my first pair of jeans and I liked the way my butt looked in them. Within a couple of years I was wearing panties that were for my sister's doll (until my mom found out). One halloween I didn't have a costume so my mom had me wear my sister's coat to go trick or treating. Played dress up at a neighbor's house and liked the feeling of wearing heels.

I felt that my mom and sister had an influence on me, but maybe they were reacting to something about me? I read somewhere long ago that boy toddlers shouldn't be dressed in girl's clothes because it will have an affect on them. Did this happen to me? Maybe, idk. By age 17 I told my mom I wished I was a girl. Probably peer pressure influenced me to accept that I was a boy? I could go on, but summing up, the answer is unknown.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Nothing caused me to be a crossdresser. I just enjoy how the clothes make me feel. What it feels like to see and know what women go through. I am not gay or have thoughts of having sex with other men. I have been like this from a young age. I have wondered at times why I am like this and have tried to stop for many years but I cannot give up wanting to crossdress. Nor do I want to.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Society decided that there were some types of clothing that were appropriate for specific people and inappropriate for others. They call it crossdressing if I wear a skirt and top or a dress and heels. They call me a transvestite if I attempt to bring a look together that matches clothing that is designed originally for women. I call it enjoyable, comfortable, an interesting challenge, being true to myself. So society made me a crossdresser.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    And last, there are therapists (not all of them) who do have tunnel vision possibly because of their limited exposure and/or their own personal bias. Some of these therapists believe that everyone who dresses must have GD, while others believe that everyone must be inherently fetishistic. The truth is, there are TSs, there are fetishists, and there is everyone in between including those who have partial GD and those who have not.

I think it would be helpful to seek a therapist who has successfully counseled a healthy mix of both TSs and CDs.
    My therapist has counseled CDers, TSes, FTMs, couples, and even "failed men". She does not believe everyone will transition, and is neither a transition mill nor a gatekeeper. I find her to be very objective, humanistic, and willing to look at every single angle. Her thinking is not black and white, and she admitted that she's not sure whether or not these CDers would ever transition, nor what would potentially cause their GD to go into overdrive pushing them towards transition, but she did say there is definitely a solid female identity with CDers. We talked about this for about 20 minutes, along with a bunch of other topics, so I'm sure I could ask her more questions about this subject. I also asked her about these "failed men". She told me a few interesting things about them.

1. They're very rare. Less than 1% of all MTF TS/potential TS cases are failed men, and 0% of CD cases.

2. Their gender dysphoria is usually caused by some childhood trauma or sexual abuse (or misandry or the other stuff that Kelly Jameson talks about a lot).

3. Even true CDers and TSes may have experienced childhood trauma or sexual abuse, which needs to be separated from the actual GD.

4. Their female identity is typically a weak and sporadic female identity, and is far weaker than that of a cross-dresser.

5. They typically believe that it's easier to be a woman than to be a man. So do some CDers or TSes.

6. They cross-dress sporadically, and typically never cross-dress for any sustained periods of time. Many cross-dressers and TSes may purge and have large gaps in between their CDing, but when they start it typically lasts for a sustained amount of time.

7. When they go to TG support groups, they quickly realize that they're not TS, TG, or even a CD. Typically going through any early transition typically quickly find out that their not trans anything, and usually give up cross-dressing completely.

8. Sometimes trying HRT or sustained cross-dressing or sustained living as a woman is the only way to figure out for sure where you fall on the gender spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    1. That's completely incorrect, Lexi. The current scientific thinking does not assume all CD's will transition - far from it.
    2. Consider that you are possibly kind of a statistical outlier.
    My therapist concurs on this too. If you're a wife of a CDer, in spite of the fact that your hubby identifies as female, you don't have to worry about him transitioning. Statistically 98% of CDers will never transition. In the 2% case that he ends up transitioning to she, than there's nothing you can do to stop it. Some things we're powerless over. You have a far better chance of divorcing your husband for reasons other than cross-dressing or transitioning - try 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    If all this is true it explains a lot. It all makes sense to me. But I hate my beard!
    Nothing is black and white. Just because you don't hate your beard doesn't make you not TS, and just because you hate your beard doesn't make you TS. I suppose that you could be a cis-gendered male, not trans anything, and still hate your beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell-GG View Post
    if my H is female identified, he's annoyingly male about it! And not in an 'I'm hiding my true feminine self' way - in an annoying doesn't listen, needs-a-man-cave, can't listen, refuses to talk about anything, will never listen, stubborn, clueless, fix-everything, obsessive, competitive male sort of way!!
    That doesn't mean anything. Lots of TSes are like that before they transition, they had to learn male behavior to survive as a male, and often have a hard time breaking down those learned male behaviors. Even cis-women can have some of those traits, although much less likely. Cis-men can also be very effeminate. There is a such thing as an effeminate male, both gay and straight, that aren't any CD nor TS nor trans anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell-GG View Post

Can I join the third gender please? Because this one's getting awfully crowded.
    I'd like to see the gender binary removed as a requirement to live life, and for us to have options to live within the binary, or outside the binary. Even if we transition from male to female (or female to male) we should have the choice to either live within the binary or live outside the binary. Yes, a fully transitioned TS woman may choose to express masculine traits and live outside the binary while still identifying as female and taking hormones and getting surgery to feminize the body. Remember that gender identity and gender expression are different things. You need not have to fall within all gender stereotypes to identify as a certain gender.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 05-24-2014 at 10:59 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I don't know if there is any one single thing that "Caused" me to become a cross dresser. Nor even there is such a thing? I've always been drawn toward the feminine side, women, femininity etc. I've always acquiesced toward women and femininity even as a young child and as far back as I can remember.

But in the "real world" where I was forced and compelled to live in my day-to-day existence, its was the "Need" to acquiesce toward the societal, cultural, and religious "Norms" that were thrust upon me in heavy handed fashion all most on a daily basis. Thus in the name of self preservation? I subscribed to the social, cultural, and religious "norms" as defined to me?

What is considered and taken for "normal" is probably heavily skewed toward nefarious intents by which and that have very little to do with being a "real man" OR a "real woman. Indeed in doing so is driven more by profit and the all mighty dollar as anything else.

What the difference between a pair of "Boy Shorts" and a pair of "Tighty-Whihty Men's cotton briefs? One is sold in the women's section of Walmart and costs about 80% more and the other in the men's department and cost about 80% less? And Oh yea the latter has that arrangement for your privates which I've never understood the need for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana3 View Post
    Indeed in doing so is driven more by profit and the all mighty dollar as anything else.
    Sometimes I feel like the entire system of patriarchy, along with the gender binary, was socially constructed as a system to control resources (or lack thereof, especially food) as humans migrated away from the equator into colder climates, and a season which we all dread, called winter, wipes out our food supply for 6 months out of the year. Bears hibernate for the winter, birds fly south for the winter, and humans created patriarchy to survive winter. So yes, the mighty dollar does drive the gender binary and transphobia, along with racism, sexism, and homophobia.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I was nine or ten and saw my mothers OBG on top of the hamper and I just had totry it on, I did and mom caught me. She was upset and punishment she said I would spend the next weekend in bra, panties girdle, stockings, slip and dress. I was hooked and been dressing ever since.

It was about my 10 years, when I stayed at home and when I turned the stuff of my mother, I felt an indescribable thrill of seeing nylon stockings. I think they are to blame for everything.

I remember lots of things but one thing that stands out in my memory is trying on my grandmother's girdle when I was bout four or five. She thought it was cute and when I think back to how I came to be this way, I always come back to that. It is a wonderful memory.

I can see we are all different as my first time is still vivid in my mind and not sure whey it happened as alcohol was involved when I was 11. Parents out to dinner and started drinking my dad's bourbon and was feeling real good. I remember feeling very sexual and dropping all my cloths on the living room floor and going into my mom's bathroom and pulling out a bra and panty from the hamper and putting them on for the first time. That did it, I was hooked as so liked the way I looked and the sexual feeling it gave me. For the rest of my years at home I dressed a lot in my mom's lingerie, hose and heels but not dresses or other clothing as that came later in life when I fully realized I loved being a gurl as it certainly isn't an accepted thing. As to why I or anyone else feels the way they feel, who knows, I just know I've not been able to stop over all these years and don't intend to any more as have gone too far and enjoyed so much being a gurl. Besides, womens clothing is so much more exciting in both under and outter wear isn't it. Also, getting older the makeup does help doesn't gurls. So women though they complain sometimes do have it better than men. So who cares of the why, I just am who I am!

What caused it? Simple. I did. No one did this to me, it was not some kind of reaction to my father's rejection, or some need fulfilled that my mother did not provide. I put on pantyhose one day, and was instantly addicted to the feeling. The rest of the clothing grew out of that. I began to crossdress because I was curious about the clothing. I did it because I wanted to.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Give in, girl-out, enjoy Krista1985's Avatar
    Well a few years back,

I was bitten by a crossdresser and transformed into one myself during the next full moon. But for real, my intro to CD was somewhat different/somewhat similar to others descriptions. I always kinda knew something was different about me, never really could put my finger on it until I had some time and space to myself. I started being drawn to TG stuff online in my late teens/early 20's and it just grew. Before you know it, I have some basics, the forms and pocket bra, the padded panties, some outfits, then little by little added the rest until I had everything I needed. No way I'd go back to not dressing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    1. They're very rare. Less than 1% of all MTF TS/potential TS cases are failed men, and 0% of CD cases.

2. Their gender dysphoria is usually caused by some childhood trauma or sexual abuse (or misandry or the other stuff that Kelly Jameson talks about a lot).

3. Even true CDers and TSes may have experienced childhood trauma or sexual abuse, which needs to be separated from the actual GD.

4. Their female identity is typically a weak and sporadic female identity, and is far weaker than that of a cross-dresser.

5. They typically believe that it's easier to be a woman than to be a man. So do some CDers or TSes.

6. They cross-dress sporadically, and typically never cross-dress for any sustained periods of time. Many cross-dressers and TSes may purge and have large gaps in between their CDing, but when they start it typically lasts for a sustained amount of time.

7. When they go to TG support groups, they quickly realize that they're not TS, TG, or even a CD. Typically going through any early transition typically quickly find out that their not trans anything, and usually give up cross-dressing completely.

8. Sometimes trying HRT or sustained cross-dressing or sustained living as a woman is the only way to figure out for sure where you fall on the gender spectrum.
    While some of the points above may very well apply to the less than 1% of TSs and 0% of CDers you speak of in point #1 (the "failed men" ) , this is not at all what you said in your post #81 that I addressed earlier. You were making rather large blanket statements about CDers as a whole.
    Reine