Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Go to church dressed?

The question is not whether you can but why do you wish to. You should be going to church to worship and learn about god, not worrying about what you are wearing or what other people are thinking about you.

I spent a weekend last year en femme. Went to a catholic church en femme had no problems just the same as when I go en drab. Not my church but on e a little ways away.

I underdress.

When I was in my teens, I would wear panties also. We took a gal friend with us, and I loved the idea of what I was wearing and wished I could dress further, like her. She always wore such great perfume.
    DonnaT

As a general rule, I try to avoid places where there will be people who either want to burn me at the stake, hold an exorcism for me, or stone me.

Quote Originally Posted by SheriM View Post
    I don't dress when going to church.
    I also believe one should attend as one entered the world.

I under dress a lot. My wife said no way to going enfemme. She claims church isn't the place so I'm not. Lol
    Formerly CDGigi

There is no doubt that attending a church which specializes in condemning others would be a painful experience. But that is not what Christianity is all about. It should be about learning to love even our enemies. For those who cant do that have a great deal to learn.

If you want to go to church there are plenty which offer a safe experience and even encouragement. It might mean you need to look a little harder. So there really is no need to avoid church simply for fear of condemnation.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I wouldn't, only because unless I could pass 100% and not worry to much about being noticed, I'd feel like I was distracting others. It's the same concept as wearing inappropriate clothing to church: the point isn't to distract others, it's to worship.

one of my best friends in the world was ordained almost two years ago, I was there. I don't go to church for many reasons but why wouldn't you dress how you like?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The church I used to go to had many members that didn't present in their gender. You know the ones that look like the SNL Pat character with no genetic markers of either a triangle figure (male) or the hour glass (female). Then the clothes were also non-conclusive and the short hair just left me guessing.... male or female....

Then again, I see the same cast at wallyworld and don't have a problem blending in...

As far as getting to church service on time, I'd have to wake up around dawn (not going to happen on the weekend) shower, get dressed 2 hours later end up walking in late to the service. While I have no qualms about going to church dressed, I just couldn't make it in time.

Renne.......

Celeste, I stand corrected. You are right about this.. I have a 33 yr old friendship with a homosexual man, in Seattle. He was called into the church i was called into. He kept his gayness secret for decades, but finally opened up to a minister, who instead of condemning, went and did his homework on it, and though the cjurch considered it wrong, he got to write a long anonymous article for the international magazine they have. Most know he is gay, but he does not practice sex with others. He is greatly loved where he attends. He tells me that he cannot understand why any man would put on women's clothes though, as i have told him my situation. He lives 2000 miles from me, now. We were just friends. I suppose that if i attended,all dressed up, though, it would not go as well.

Quote Originally Posted by celeste26 View Post
    There is no doubt that attending a church which specializes in condemning others would be a painful experience. But that is not what Christianity is all about. It should be about learning to love even our enemies. For those who cant do that have a great deal to learn.
    I agree 100%.

There are churches that are accepting. I'd imagine you have more choices in a big city than in a small town, but there are options.

I went to my first MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) service on Sunday, and loved every moment of it. Everyone welcomed me with open arms, and I really felt at home there, and plan on going back regularly. MCC and RMN are two options, and I'm sure there are others.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Silver Member
    As a young acolyte I knew that the women removed their dresses and wore just their robes over their slips, etc. I was sorely tempted to remove my outer clothes and wear a slip along with my panties. I never did.

Aspiring Member
    I would not go to a church service dressed. It is too distracting. I am somewhat immature, so dressing is mostly still about me. Going to church and participating is quite the opposite in my book: it is about finding and knowing God and my neighbors and learning to live a life of service to others. The whole experience is about others, so I would find dressing distracting to myself and others.

I have been inside churches dressed, but only for secular events, such as recitals and concerts.

I look at it this way: I tolerate many things out in public that I would never tolerate inside my own home.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 05-21-2014 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Discussion of religious beliefs is off topic

Tonya, the SHOE monster! rocketscientist's Avatar
    I have been to church dressed. The first time I went was at my brother's church in So. IL. Even he had never seen me dressed until I showed up! If you look through my started threads you will find my account of the occasion as well as a few pics. Also, I plan to dress for church this coming weekend. My sister's goddaughters are having their first communion and I have a nice white dress picked out for the occasion! Hugs, Tonya
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" = Oscar Wilde

A few weeks back we were going to church and I was getting changed and I was taking my pantyhose and panties off, when I wife asked me why I was getting changed, I told her I didn't feel comfortable going to church that way, she said "GOD made Maria I don't see why you shouldn't underdress to church.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbie Anne View Post
    My outlook is that God made me this way and I don't think he'd mind how I dressed and if I did or didn't pass while showing my love and devotion for him. Finding a lgbt friendly church is another matter in the deep south.
    My dilemma is I don't know if it's something God did or is it something I conjured up from God knows where? If the former is true then yes church would not be a problem with God, but maybe with his "people".

The "church" is not a building made by men. I si the "called out ones" preparing for the coming new world. I agree, with those who said it is not all about me. To cause all kinds of attention to myself, unecessarily, is not considering everyone else. I would only underdress some. That's just me. Enjoying this thread, and the replies.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that an early morning mass at St. Patrick's cathedral in NYC has seen just about every mode of dress and gender presentation possible. My only hesitation is that I keep my gendered selves very separate, so Tina would never attend my home church. Give me a couple hundred miles and I just don't see the issue. Except for the sign of peace, I would say that over 90% of the time not a word is said to me during or after mass. At least in my part of the world, a Catholic mass is as social as you make it, or not if you just keep to yourself, if you aren't already known in the congregation. After mass everyone might complain about your choice of clothes, but inside that church no one would bat an eyelash

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    I went to my first MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) service on Sunday, and loved every moment of it. Everyone welcomed me with open arms
    That has been my experience with our local MCC as well. I felt like the doctrine was sorta immature and it didn't feel particularly holy there, but it was nice to be me in church.

MCC isn't so much about doctrine as it is about accepting. Their main message is that God loves you as you are.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Point taken, although my belief system thinks there's a little more to it than that. But that's just me. Again, it was so nice to be me in church -- well, the good gurl me. ;-)

I've been attending church all of my life. As an adult I've kept the faith and attend reguraly with my wife and children. During my younger years I loved going to church to see all the ladies in their Sunday dresses, hose and heels! Not that it was my only reason for going, but it was a bonus! Today, its harder to find those who will "dress up" for chruch as casual seems to be more the norm. Oh, the older ladies will dress, but the younger generation not so much. Sort of a downer. Though I'm a closet CDer I wear panties nearly 24/7, 365 except on rare occasion. Through the winter months when I can get away with heavier shirts and such I'll wear a bra, and often hose or tights. It just makes me feel good....as usual, and I don't think God will mind. At least I hope not. If I thought I could pass I'd love to visit a church while dressed. That's got to be one of my top on "Megan's Cd bucket list." I wouldn't want to make a fuss by being clocked at a church service, so this one probably won't happen.

I don't think I would CD at my regular church where I've been attending as male. The transition would be too weird. But if visiting or switching to a new church, then I think it would be nice to attend dressed (tastefully & elegantly) as a woman. But one should do one's homework first and choose a church that is welcoming to LGBT folk.

As far as underdressing at your regular church, sure why not? Nobody will know and it shouldn't distract you or others from the service.
    Last Easter Sunday I wore a pair of cute blue panties as all my male underwear was in the laundry. My wife's reaction? "Awesome".
    But then she ruined it by saying "I hope you don't get into a car accident while wearing those". Bah. If I end up in the E.R., I'd have bigger worries than doctors and nurses seeing my panties!

Without any other judgement, who do you want to be when you stand before god?

THAT is your answer. If your community doesn't accept who you are, find a different community!

( I suggest United Church of Christ or Unitarian Universalists! )

Blessed be honey. I believe each of us has the right to speak to god 1 on 1.

God has 10,000 names. Don't get hung on what *others* think. Who are you answering to?

<3

- MM

As one entered the world? You mean Skyclad?

We all entered this world horribly dependent, with no sense of propriety or responsibility.
    Last edited by Katey888; 05-24-2014 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit to add to existing post rather than post again..
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder