Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The only one wearing a skirt. Must be a CDer !

In 1971, the small town high school i attended, started allowing girls to wear trousers to school. I noticed a certain something different,in the air. I observe historical trends, and my friend , another old intellectual bachelor, and i , have come to the conclusion, that showing off legs, sent a sexual message to boys and men. Women , during the late 1960's got sick, and weary of being sexual objects, and many just did not want men seeing their legs, anymore. Legs showing became a rare bird, since then. The town i live in , leg sightings with a skirt or dress are very, very rare, but, lots of women do wear shorts in the warm weather. No hose or heel, seen for weeks, though.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    .........The only fashion I can't get my head round is the tunic/dress what is that all about ?

If you do see someone wearing a skirt it's probably a CDer, if I was out it would be me ! I just don't like women's trousers with the exception of leather and the fine stretch cord ones but then I would have to read the sticky on tucking and I can't be doing with that !..........
    I love my my black tunic dress for two reasons. One, my wife gave it to me (as she said it looked like a bin bag when she wore it) and I get to wear my leggings, a cute mesh belt and a little pair of wedge boots or flats. Magic!

I'm not into the tucking thing either, I get an ache down there from being in the car a lot, (squashed bolleux I assume) so it's going to be a gaff for a flatter front in this locale.

I have noticed a few of the girls at work appear to be wearing skirts and dresses more, varied ages too, so here's hoping that the trend continues.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

It really depends on the occasion and where you are going. Where I live, in Mississippi, I notice more women wearing maxis and cute little summer dresses because of the heat. However, my wife is always telling me that women don't wear skirts, dresses, and heels everyday. I tell her I understand, but I don't get a chance dress everyday, so skirts/dresses for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Drawer View Post
    Thank goodness for Scandinavia!
    Yes! I was in Stockholm for about a week and noticed lots of women wearing skirts and tights. In general, people were much better and more stylishly dressed than here in Canada.

Zylia, I have heard that Europeans dress classier than most Americans, and a lady told me that Europeans tend to think Americans dress sloppy for the most part.

I think it depends on where you live too. Here in LA I see both skirts/dresses and jeans/pants. I wear mostly skirts and dresses too, and I have been ma'amed while wearing them (even in the middle of the desert), so don't think you need to wear pants or jeans otherwise you'll get clocked. There are plenty of reasons you can get clocked aside from what you're wearing.

I'm also a new TS and I wear skirts & dresses too. I see TSes who wear jeans/pants, and TSes who wear skirts/dresses too.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 05-20-2014 at 11:27 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I love wearing a skirt or dress....makes me feel great.I very rarely wear slacks unless it's - 30F and a stiffish breeze.I'll replace stockings with tights for the winter.I have decent legs and like to show them off and besides I wear a skirt for me ; for my pleasure.
    In my case I think by wearing a skirt helps fulfill my role as a woman .....a part of acceptance I guess.
    I dunno....just like wearing them.
    PaulaAnn
    " I'm learning to fly"..............(Tom Petty).

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I see plenty of legs out in the street. But I agree most cd's hate pants...i wish they wouldnt, and find something with some style. But I get it..skirts,skirts skirts, gals LOVE all the girliest of the girlies...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    I made this same observation to my first therapist. She got kind of defensive about it, but the next week, she started wearing dresses to our sessions. It's funny now, because I mostly wear jeans.
    Now that's funny!

I actually think I have been a 'positive' influence on my wife. She is a counselor/therapist, and always wore a pant's outfit to look 'professional'. I have little by little been pushing her to be more 'feminine', and she now wears dresses for work more than half the time (and she looks fantastic in them!).

Doing my part to make the world a prettier place! LOL!

This seems like yet another way to rip on how women choose to dress in their day to day lives but then again, I live in a place where I see dresses and skirts pretty much anywhere I go and during all seasons so I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I have no reason to lament the state of women's fashion. The women in SoCal are gorgeous, as is their sense of style.

And anyone in these pages who avoids wearing anything that isn't named "skirt" or "dress" is missing out on a myriad of style options that women have which look just as feminine when presented as part of the total package, not to mention conducive to making your own choices based on time, place, event weather, etc.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I am in the uk three times a year and I see lots of women wearing skirts even in winter admittedly a lot more in pants trousers but enough to not make you stand out , I have just got back from Berlin Germany and there was enough skirt wearers there to not make you stand out ,

Not around here, still lots of skirts, hosiery etc. Even in quite cold weatrher.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Torn View Post
    Zylia, I have heard that Europeans dress classier than most Americans, and a lady told me that Europeans tend to think Americans dress sloppy for the most part.
    I think you can throw that one in both directions Alice, it just depends where you go and when. There is a thin line between class and ass (the Brit word rhymes better with class but would get deleted ) My wife will wear jog bots and a baggy top for the most part at home, but will tidy up just to go to the shops. We good old Brits have snobbery and class definitions hard wired, but I don't think we'll win a style play off over the US as a matter of course. Very similar places.

I wear shorts or jog bots at home a lot (boy and girl kit), but for work it's suited and booted, so it's nice to dress down too. I'm a big skirts and dresses type for the most part when going out en femme, as a girl's got to shine .

Rebecca

Time and place, weather etc etc

I live in jeans, summer is here so maybe cropped jeggings but I do have a dress or two. It's how and where you wear it, I only wear a shorter summer dress in my garden would feel way too exposed going around say a supermarket. Fashion also is key, I wear more skirts in winter as skirt, thick tights and boots is a staple look and really comfortable.

When it's about everyday living it's about practicality. Go to an event, eg wedding or party and then you will see dresses and skirts. Sometimes you need a reason to glam up!
    Essex (England) has a pretty good mix of different fashions.

Interesting timing for this thread. Now that weather in New England is almost tolerable I've been noticing an awful lot of women wearing skirts, particularly in casual situations like shopping, being tourists, etc., and at least a few summer sundresses. The skirts aren't the pencil skirts they might wear to the office (I know that in Boston a lot of women still wear skirts or dresses to the office) but looser, casual skirts of denim, khaki, etc. Glad I'm not alone in wearing those. Plus, they make life nicer for girl watching. Of course, maybe those hundreds of women in skirts aren't women at all. I don't plan to look close enough to find out.

I saw 3 young girls wearing short skirts today. Apparently it was their school uniform!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Aspiring Member
    I think it matters where you are. I have seen areas where people in general dress like slobs, even in a business environment. Then other cities or areas you still see men in coats and ties and women in skirts and suits in similar business environments.

I think competition for opportunity and employment improves the level of dress. When there is no opportunity (things seem hopeless), or too much opportunity (things are too easy), people get lazy and sloppy

I was at the local shopping mall today, took notice to make sure my last comment still held true.
    I just walked in and out, though stood a while to notice. Saw more than 100 people mostly women and girls.
    Did see three or more maxi dress (IMO They are as bad as pants). But I saw only one woman in a leg exposing dress / skirt.
    I did see plenty of girls / women in shorts and pants. At least 80 or 90% were wearing shorts or slacks.
    I would make a safe bet I could sit in that mall for days and days w/o seeing a woman with stockings on.
    Putting a disclaimer on the last comment, have to exclude the lunch hour and the drive home crowd.
    As I am sure IMO those that are dressed really well are dressed for their job.
    The area I am in is a major metro suburb, but not a lot of office workers, more of a vacation attitude area.
    Last edited by ronny0; 05-21-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Mall Wear

Would agree after being in Macy's and two malls in last two days, in Florida that is, would agree that most under around 25 were in shorts and the rest as you stated. I happened to be in a skirt and hose but then I happened to be a CD --- not the reason though. Late in the afernoon many GGs are stopping by after work or possibly going out for dinner along with some shopping. In addition to the time of day factor there is the age consideration. For me as an old lady I probably blended in as few old ladies are in shorts while most are in pants.
    Would like to say that the weight factor should restrain those obese from wearing short shorts but, sadly, that's not the case.
    I might link in my current avatar as one stop was at MAC --- my latest beauty operator, after waxing and plucking brows, told me to go to MAC for them to do the proper eyebrow lines.
    Well, they said no pencil as it might have looked good for me 60 years ago; instead brushed on top of the remaining eyebrows. After 3 months the wig is off and my own hair is back on view (Had to cut it in early January). I know how lucky I am to have hair and be able to let it grow --- a few good things still come my way and Im grateful.
    Julie

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    As a long time CD I wear skirts almost every day. I do own some dresses, but without my dear wife (she passed away) to do my makeup and fix my wig I don't wear a dress in public. However, I do wear skirts and feminine tops all the time out in public and have never had any problems. I am dressed that way as I write this and have already been out to eat both lunch and dinner! Unless you are dressed rather outrageously, no one really cares!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Platinum Member
    Hi Teresa, I often think that when I see a lady in the grocery store or WaL*MART wearing a skirt I wonder if that is one of us.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I just think that it is practical and comfortable for GGs to wear jeans etc. If your shopping, picking up the kids from school, cleaning the house, cooking etc you wouldn't want to do it in heels and a skirt. The only time I see a GG in a skirt and heels on the school run is when they've come straight from work, same for at the supermarket. I wouldn't wear a skirt and heels to clean or cook so why should a GG.

When a GG wants to dress up for an occasion then she will wear a dress, skirt heels etc. You only have to go to a wedding to see that but for everyday life. Why? If a GG dressed up everyday she'd loss out on that special occasion.

I think that most CDs have in their minds eye what we see as the 'ideal woman' and I think in general it is a woman in a dress/skirt heels etc. That is why most of us dress that way - to been our 'ideal woman'. We dress for that special occasion because we don't dress everyday as a GG. If we did then we'd probably end up in jeans etc just to be practical and comfortable.

Katie

Banned Read only
    Katie,
    I can remember a time when my wife never wore trousers even doing housework and gardening ! Always blouse and skirt and kitten heels, it was such a pleasure watching her swish round the house and it never looked impractical .

Hi Teresa

I just think that women today have far more choice. I can remember that when I first met my wife she had to wear a skirt or dress to work - no trousers for women were allowed. She had to make a stand and wore a smart trouser suit. That was over 20 years ago. Now she will still wear a dress, skirt or trousers to work out of choice but will always them off when she gets home in favour of jeans and a top, out of choice. At weekends it's the same uniform as the other mums who stand around in muddy sports fields - strictly no heels.

I think it is just dependent upon the situation and what is practical at the time. If you go to the shop most women don't want to walk round for hours in heels - wouldn't.

Katie

Hi,

When you come over to New Zealand , And more so Waimate ,You will see us in long dress's and skirts, yes we are Edwardian women .

Most of the time youll see me in skirts , unless im working then ill be in shorts and or bib overalls,

Next group You will see us many of us in Scottish wear - skirt's, and kilt Colours

Now our Renaissance garb youll see me in long skirts out and about and if you happen to be in Melbourne June the 6 th .ill have my garb on yes on two plane's Chch to Melbourne to Tasmania,

And a few of us like our Gipsy wear nice long dress or skirt's.

yes we do have a few women in dress's and skirts more the older locals.

...noeleena...