I was chatting with this one lesbian girl that I met the other day and she was talking about how she was non-gender binary and hated it when people were like 'You're not non-binary enough'.

I was like 'Yeah, I can understand that. That's why I don't tell many people that I'm androgynous.'

When given a skeptical look (I was wearing a tank top and capris) and asked for a definition of androgynous as well as the age I started feeling that way, I told her that I didn't believe I was male or female, that I thought of myself as just being human and able to dress, act, and 'be' however I wanted and that I'd felt that way my whole life.

She then proceeded to tell me exactly what her and her friends thought androgyny was and that I didn't fit it, arguing that in order to be androgynous I had to be super-skinny, bind all the time, have 'edgier' hair, wear certain types of clothes, act a certain way...the list went on!

When she finished, I smiled and said, 'So, basically, I'm not androgynous enough?' Then, she got really mad and left...

Why is it that people get so upset when you don't fit into their labels? I mean, does it really matter to her if I say I'm androgynous while dressing like a woman? Does that make it any less true than when I dress like a man?