Thread: testosterone makes me feel like a woman

testosterone makes me feel like a woman

Funny thing I seem to have discovered. Testosterone converts to estrogen. I wouldn't know this except I've been getting Testosterone injections for a year or more. The free t levels were low, so doc increased the dosage. Then, it happened. My nipples started to hurt, then moobs began forming.

This was puzzling enough but what happened next was really weird. As my body converted more testosterone to estrogen, it affected the mind. It caused me to feel emotional, sensitive, caring. I started giving my wife messages, painted her toe nails, pick out clothes and go shopping with her. It's really hard to describe.

At this time, I became hhooked on dressing. I went shopping for dresses, lingerie and even makeup. Suddenly, all body hair had to go because it felt dirty. Started doing exercises to shape and time. I felt weird but comfortable. I embraced the feeling. I felt like it made mea better person...... Small problem, my breast were getting noticed by others. I went back to doc. He prescribed anastrozole which prevents conversion from testosterone to estrogen.

Slowly over a week or so, things turned back. I became less interested and Maybe a little embarrassed over my previous feminine feelings. As a couple of months passed, the urge to dress ebbed away and all returned to normalish.

This week, I tried an experiment and stopped taking drugs. Guess what I'm wearing. It's so conflicting. But now, I can tell you what the first levels of MTF HRT feels like. It's actually a really good feeling

Oh, I forgot to get to my point. Based on this experience, I am beginning to understand why older men seem to be prevalent on the forum. Am I right? I think I am becausei hear many on here talk about the gyno boobs. We aren't offended or worried about them, they feel natural while the hormones agree. But were a bit embarrassing while going topless on the cruise last month.
    Last edited by Katey888; 05-30-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit to add to existing post rather than post again..

Sounds like the injections are causing extreme hormonal changes. Were your testosterone levels nearly nonexistent?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Reality Check
    A known side effect of testosterone replacement therapy is enlarged and sensitive breasts. The rest is probably just in your mind.

First test result was 93. And no....Well obviously it was in my head since it was thoughts, feelings and emotions. But I do feel very strongly that it was hormone induced.

Actually, isn't all feelings and desires to cross dress only in our heads?
    Last edited by Katey888; 05-30-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit to add to existing post rather than post again..

All I can say if that's the case, Shania Twain mus be one hell of a man.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Kate you are too funny LMAO
    I never new how masculine I was until I tried to be a woman

It never had that effect on me.

Estrogen was something quite different though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    Hi Lena, It sounds like unintended consequences with the breast growth.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Did you happen to get stung by a bee?
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

So much for sharing

Misty, LOL! I know the story.

<Edit> - We don't mean to make fun of you Lena, but if you went for feminine expression to the extent you did, it likely was NOT caused by any drug.
    Last edited by ReineD; 05-30-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    Reine

I think that this issue is pretty well covered. My only comment- there are only six men in the entire world who can go shirtless in public. Those with moobs, or hairy chests do not qualify.

I had moobs way back when I was a kid, from huge weight fluctuations. Well, not really big honking breasts, but certainly more fatty tissue than I though was normal, though there were certainly other boys with excessive fat where we didn't want it. And yes, fat cells excrete minute amounts of estrogen, so what's there might even make the situation worse (or better, to some of us!)
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    I think that this issue is pretty well covered. My only comment- there are only six men in the entire world who can go shirtless in public. Those with moobs, or hairy chests do not qualify.
    Hey, I'm an old fat guy and I don't care (I'm not sure when I lost my concern about anyone seeing me even naked, probably when I was in my early 40's and realized no one wanted to look at me anyway). When I grew up, there were plenty of old fat guys with moobs sitting on the beach, enjoying the day. I do the same. If people want to look at me, well they deserve what they see. I remember one day a few years ago, sitting underneath my umbrella, and an old woman who must have weighed at least 300 pounds spread a towel, put down a chair and lathered up with sunscreen. I said hello, we spoke a bit, and both went back to our reading. At one point, a young beautiful couple came down and put their blanket on the beach, then went down into the water. I said out loud, 'Wow, wouldn't it be nice to look like that again?' To which she said 'I never looked THAT good'. Then I added, 'Neither did I'. And we both laughed. And us two old, fat, not so good looking people enjoyed our day at the beach.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 05-31-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Here are some thoughts for you all. This episode didn't happen overnight. It happened over a period of 6 months. Fact moobs and gyno are not the same thing. Gynecomastia are breast...fat is fat. During this 6 months, I was dieting, losing weight and gaining breasts.....seems less weight and same testosterone injections equates to more testosterone conversion to estrogen. Now if I told you I was taking estrogen HRT for 6 months, would you believe there are changes? If I were taking estradiol from a bottle over 6 months, what would you suspect? Would you suspect that estradiol from a bottle is different than estradiol from conversion?
    Last edited by Lena; 05-31-2014 at 09:40 AM. Reason: inadvertently hit enter

Taking testosterone injections are *not* going to turn you into a chick, and they will not make you want to denude your body of hair, go shopping for dresses, or paint your wife's toes. And taking testosterone injections, no matter the possible side effects, is nothing like going on MtF HRT at all. It's nuts to even suggest that it is. Sooooo, excluding that, what remains is whatever is going on in your head. Which is cool, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. So just step up to the plate, get over yourself, own the way you really feel and the things you really want to do, and enjoy yourself. It's all good. :-)

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Oh, I forgot to get to my point. Based on this experience, I am beginning to understand why older men seem to be prevalent on the forum. Am I right?
    For me, no. There were just other things on my "to do list" that came first.

Marriage was first (7 years), after that S&M (4 years), and after that taking great pleasure in one shallow, short term relationship after another (18 years). CDing didn't make its way to the top until I was 50 and had done everything else ahead of it on the list.

For men it has never surprised me that testosterone makes them want to crossdress because it is wrapped up in their sexuality and later in life when the testosterone levels drop they continue with the crossdressing.

I strongly believe that crossdressing can be good therapy for undoing some of the more toxic effects of "turning boys into men" and why you often hear stories about how crossdressing brings out their softer feminine side.

Of course I have never known a woman to have this softer feminine side because it is not a luxury that most woman can afford.

Hormones are extremely powerful and the affect they have is different from person to person and even within a single persons life the effect varies overtime.

It has become popular to take testosterone and it seems there is a failure among doctors to talk about the dangers.

If you are experiencing "dysphoria" I would treat this very seriously. Significant changes in personality probably should be viewed as a red flag.

It may be purely a psychological release from the rigors of your male life but it could also be something else.

Here is a link you may find interesting. http://www.avitale.com/TNote15Testosterone.htm
    Last edited by KellyJameson; 05-31-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Charlotte Allison Morris NavyM2F_WAM's Avatar
    I can't wait to start hormone therapy and get the surgery to become a woman. I hope I can feel just as great as you did, maybe even better!

Kelly, thanks for posting the above. I think some responding assume all testosterone remains testosterone. In older males testosterone is conveyed to estradiol. So, in those cases, increasing testosterone input actually increases estrogen while not actually increasing testosterone levels. I know it sounds odd to say testosterone is increasing feminine features. ?.. But that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying the testosterone is no longer testosterone but is estrogen. Why is a side effect of testosterone infections tender beat and nips? Because it is no longer testosterone inside the body.

From the article posted above.... *"I predict that eventually we will find that as testosterone levels rise above some threshold in the daily lives of these males (Ahokoski et al 1998), that the enzyme aromatase becomes active and temporarily converts testosterone into estradiol forcing a strong desire to dress and live, even if only temporarily, as a woman."

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    From the article posted above.... *"I predict that eventually we will find that as testosterone levels rise above some threshold in the daily lives of these males (Ahokoski et al 1998), that the enzyme aromatase becomes active and temporarily converts testosterone into estradiol forcing a strong desire to dress and live, even if only temporarily, as a woman."
    It's very good to reference peer-reviewed papers. I really wish more people would do it. Many are available online.

However, caution is still required. That paper was published in 2009, five years ago. Since that time have there been any papers published on this topic, either in support of the conclusions or disagreeing with them?

Checking this gives one an idea for how broadly an opinion is held in the scientific community. And in this case we can check if the prediction (it wasn't an observation) came true.

Also note that the paper has the following disclaimer:
    Disclaimer: Nothing on this site should be viewed as providing therapeutic advice. No formation of a client/therapist relationship with Dr. Vitale is intended or to be implied or inferred. The information provided in this site is for educational purposes only. I attempt to keep the information current but make no representation or warranties in that regard. You should not rely upon this information as a substitute for consul with a qualified mental health professional.

Edit:
    Upon closer inspection, I see the paper is not a peer-reviewed published paper. It's just a "Note", whatever that means.
    Last edited by WhisperTV; 06-01-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Lena, in the link's first paragraph, Vitale states she became suspicious of testosterone being the hormone that causes gender dysphoria in SOME genetic males and further states that obviously this is not true for the VAST majority of males. So logically, the culprit cannot be testosterone alone, else a majority of men would want to crossdress in later years. Some other factor must then cause these individuals to have gender dysphoria (or a condition that is not as severe as gender dysphoria if it only involves a wish to cosmetically feminize the appearance); whether it is another physical cause or predisposition, or a psychological condition.
    Reine