Thread: My new response to being ma'amed in dude mode

My new response to being ma'amed in dude mode

I consider myself to be quite ordinary looking, but I have been growing my hair for 3 1/2 years. Even though it's tied back at the nape of my neck it's apparently quite a female tell as I get ma'amed fairly regularly in dude mode.

Yesterday, in spite of a one day beard growth, the cashier (60 something guy) at the sporting goods store said "may I help you ma'am...........er, sir". I responded simultaneously in my best basso "I can be anything you want me to be." Situations like this are embarrassing for the instigator so I'm pleased to have found a new go to line to gently take them off the hook. Hugs, Michelle

Platinum Member
    That was a great response, Michelle!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

When there was still some question in my presentation, I was asked a few times 'boy, or girl?' My favorite answer was 'Which were you looking for?'

That's a wonderful problem to have....I can remember those times I was just starting out and thought I was presentable.... only to be called sir...*sigh*
    Thank goodness, that isn't happening anymore....
    Candice Coleen Kowal ....all my friends call me Candy!

great story michelle...i always have had very long hair, and i can't tell you how often that has happens to me.
    sometimes even more than once in a single day. it use to bother me, but now i kinda enjoy
    but a few months ago when i was out en femme,
    a seemingly nice guy refered to me as "him" (not maliciously), but it did offend me.
    after a few minutes, i found myself laughing as i said to myself, in drab mode i get called a ma'am,
    and then when i dress up, i get called "him". i then thought i should just stay in drab mode if i look
    more like a girl then when i'm dressed. lol its still makes me laugh when i think about it...
    Last edited by paulaprimo; 05-31-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    paula

It is fun messing with peoples minds like that and as long as you acknowledge it in a friendly manner no harm is done.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I will have to try that, if you do not mind borrowing it that is.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    "I can be anything you want me to be." .... yes, I like that response. These days I dress kinda gender neutral in boy mode but in the past I used to dress in some really quite girly clothes and quite often I got mam'ed (like when a server first comes to your table or a SA looks at you quickly).

Sometimes they do get embarrassed or apologize to you, which is understandable I guess, but unnecessary IMO as I don't want or need an apology for being mistaken for a girl
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I work in retail and am always in guy mode there. I am in my 60's and have short balding gray hair. No one knows that I crossdress (at least I dont think they do, lol). After I rang up a lady's purchase and thanked her the other day, she kindly said "you are very welcome and thank you for your help maam." She blushed and said "oh I am so sorry I dont know why I said that." I replied "That is alright, I can be almost anything that I need to be." We both smiled and she went on her way not knowing that she had made my day.