Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain......

Can someone explain......

Hi Everybody.

The title was to grab your attention but I really do have a question I have been asking myself for a long time. Why is it that the last thing I bought becomes my favorite thing until I buy something else.

It started years ago when my wife and I bought me a french maids outfit. I wore this thing a often as possible, especially when I was cleaning the house on the weekend. Then I got a nice LBD, I wore that to clean the house too, again, as often as possible. Through the years it keeps happening. Last year in Key West, we bought a nice little sun dress with a floral print. That was my favorite until I got a matching bra and panty set. Now recently I bought a black corset with garters attached and stockings. This weekend it was all I wore while in femme, I love the thing, but I know as soon as I get something else it will go by the wayside. I have a closet full of stuff I hardly wear anymore.

I just wanted to share my fun with everyone. Doe's any one else find they have the same feelings about their clothes?

Connie.
    Connie

I'm the same way with a new camera, makeup, or some toy for my sci if collection. I guess it really comes down to the novelty factor. We have our current emotional investment in the consideration and acquiring of the latest item, so it tends to hold prominence in our hearts and minds until we go through the whole investment cycle again with a new item.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

Platinum Member
    I've grown far more judicious about my clothing purchases over the years. I began buying stuff I though looked good on the models. That mostly didn't work for me.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    I only recently started CDing, so I'm buying like crazy. I have no doubt it will level off one I get the basics.

Even so, I already have stuff I don't wear. Looked good in the catalog, looks like junk on me.

Platinum Member
    Hi Connie, With three closets full there's always something that I haven't had on in a while and it's like something new
    and it stays on the front line for a while.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Connie, that's just plain normal. Although on my budget I have to think versatility, mix and match.

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

^.^

I really like one of the dresses I just bought. It is REALLY nice. It's a full-length
    black dress that has some frills from the shoulders to the center of the neck,
    and then down a slight bit. I have gotten some really nice comments while
    wearing it.

I think it is a combination of newness, and then also the idea of buying
    something that looks nice, and you can't wait to try it on.

Amy M. Jackson

You are a serial acquirer. Serial Acquirers fill up their closets way too fast as the never get rid of that maid's outfit the got several years ago, won't throw out and will never wear again as they always need to acquire something new.

It is a chronic condition and will lessen as the balance in your check book approaches zero.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

With 40 or so skirts in my closet, and only 6 or so dresses, it's always a challenge trying to decide what to put on. I'm always looking for nice tops but just have trouble finding what I want. fussy when it comes to tops. Most make me feel like a big guy and don't feel right with a skirt. I do the same thing when it comes to buying something. This is nice and looks great, buy it , take it home, and take it back. I think we all do that. Thanks for Kohls easy returns.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    new clothes are always fun....but my favorite items are the ones that fit the best and help enhance my look or figure...sometimes for me it is hit or miss.

I also started with the french maid outfit it was great! Now a little older and wider i tend to like maternity clothes. My SO got a couple bins when she was expecting and the stuff she didnt want I was suposed to donate but i kept it insted!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm wondering if u would still feel the same way if u bought what I did late last year. I closet full of ladies outfits at a studio auction? I've finally tried everything on. But, there r SO MANY COOL OUTFITS!

How can I possibly be excited about only one? Ok, I promise to start posting photos of the collection after my yearly break from "all things CD" later this month! It's mostly vintage clothing.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Simple - it's a girl thing!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I definitely have the same problem. I can't explain it, but I sure suffer from it, and it ABSOLUTELY WILL RAVAGE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT! I think my reason is primary the fact that I have very little time to wear what I buy. I love my clothes, especially HEELS AND NYLONS, but I simply cannot stop this habit of buying 3 to 5 pairs of heels, deciding to keep them, then buying about 4 pair the next week. I think they may call that a form of addiction. And I've dropped a couple skirt and blouse sizes, so I need some new blouses and pencil skirts in my size to put some cute outfits together. Be careful, I don't think it ever stops, I think a reasonable, moderate level is about all we can do in the long haul. I'm 57 and my first piece of female clothing was a pair of RHT stockings my Mom had put in the trash. I was about age 3 or 4 and still remember the sheer bliss!

Good luck, all. And enjoy every pair of heels, skirt, dress, blouse, nylons.....

Hugs,
    Linda

Banned Read only
    I will have to agree with Linda on shoe buying, it's addictive, I know you can buy on line but seeing the choice lined up in the shop ! I usually take cash to limit myself !
    I also agree with Christen try and buy to mix and match, that way you work through your wardrobe !
    The maid outfits are still there but they've been pushed to the back a bit ! SHAME!!

Aspiring Member
    Okay, here is the biological explanation:

Your brain is hardwired to interpret cross-dressing as actual contact with a female. Then your brain releases a host of neurotransmitters, (dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and others). These neurotransmitters are responsible for the sensations of well-being, pleasure,. sexual gratification, bonding, etc.. It affects the reward centers of your brain, instant gratification.

Now the way your brain works: If you do the same thing over, and over, and over, well, it causes your brain to fatigue and release less dopamine. Dopamine is your driver, responsible for the urges, the expectation of gratification and compulsive behavior. You want your dopamine levels to be high, but doing the same thing over and over only lowers your dopamine levels. So you need to do something new. You get a new outfit, and the dopamine levels rise again. So we constantly need to make modifications. Sometimes this is in the form of escalating the cross-dressing experience. (it is sometimes referred to as the "escalation problem" in cross-dressing.) For most cross-dressers it just means we need to shop, we need to wear something different, and we need to take the next step. It's just to keep up the dopamine levels.

From what my boyfriend has told me, everytime he buys a new piece of clothing it gives him a sort of rush. I think that the reason behind your last perchase becoming your favorite is that when you wear it, you are reminded of that recent rush that you might have felt.

Anytime I get something new, no matter what it is it is my favorite. I think we are all that way because we have gotten something we really wanted, so it is special.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Like a kid with a new toy.

Majella hit the nail on the head this time.
    I like playing with new toys too.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thanks Ladies, so many great answers for me. They all brought a smile to my face.

MikiSJ, I hope its not fatal and that I never get better
    [QUOTE=mikiSJ;3527006]You are a serial acquirer. Serial Acquirers fill up their closets way too fast as the never get rid of that maid's outfit the got several years ago, won't throw out and will never wear again as they always need to acquire something new.
    Connie

I don't think the enjoyment of a new belonging that eventually wears off is exclusive to anything, or anyone. Kids play with new toys until the excitment of playing with it wears off, girls wear their favorite jacket or use their favorite bag until something new takes it's place (or even more, a pair of pretty yet also comfy shoes will be worn a lot), car guys will take their new ride out for a drive for no reason at all during the early stages of ownership. My first cheerleader uniform that I owned I wore every chance I got for the whole football season, every game I could watch; then watched the cheerleading tournaments. And so on until I bought a new spring dress. and on, and on, and on.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

^.^

I think it kinda depends on what you are buying.

For instance, if & when I buy a new White Stag T Shirt / skirt, or just the T Shirt because I already have
    a good stock of skirts, it will be something I love wearing, but not my favorite, although I love how I
    look in them. The favorites are the dresses, especially the current, the black dress in my profile pic.

I LOVE THE FRILLS!

But I do agree that the idea of getting something new in general is a huge turn-on, simply
    because you are getting something new to have, experience, wear, or whatever.

Amy M. Jackson

I am definitely that way most of the time--mostly with shoes. But then, I buy shoes more often than anything else so that probably makes sense

My answer would be, because its new!! We love new things!!