Thread: Venturing Farther Out

Red face Venturing Farther Out

A few weeks ago I posted a thread about how accepted I was at Penny's and Sephora. That outing made me feel so good that I did it again, accept took the outing to a new level for me.

I am posting this for two reasons. 1. I have found it very encouraging reading about others acceptance in society and wish to "pay it forward." 2. A narcissistic story that makes me feel good!

I returned to Penney's fully dressed in a leopard print, short sleeved mock turtleneck sweater and ladies jeans. I am 6'1", wide shouldered with a 44" chest. I wore a shoulder length wig, tasteful makeup, a double strand of pearls with matching earrings. My shoes were black flats and had a black print purse as well.

First, I went to the lingerie department to buy some new panties. As I browsed, several ladies were within arms length and not one seemed to notice. When I checked out, the SA (60's) also did not seem to notice and I even spoke several sentences to her.

Next, I visited the Women's Department just to browse. Again, there were several shoppers within close proximity and none seemed to notice at all, with the exception of a little girl, who stared at me (they always know!). I went to the fitting room with several pairs of jeans and tops with complete success. My heart was pounding though! I had to stand in a line of two women to check out and again nobody seemed to notice, including the SA. She also conversed with me and there was no apparent shock.

So, that trip was so successful I continued to a major discount grocery store to do a month's worth of food shopping. That was the real test. The place was packed with people of both genders, young and old. I felt confident though, just having had such success at Penney's. I spent over two hours there collecting a little over three hundred dollars of groceries. I had to excuse my cart for being in the way, smiled at several people, had men check me out (maybe they knew, but it wasn't obvious if they did. It was the big boobs they were looking at!). I tried hard to use feminine body language and movements, such as keeping my legs together when I had to squat for something low. When I checked out I was the only person in that line and that was my biggest fear; that when people were idle and looking around they would discover me, tackle me, pull my wig off and beat me to a bloody pulp. So I got off easy there. The checker was ill. She conversed about the amount of customers, her being sick and working, etc. and not once did she give me a sideways glance. We were just two girls talking.

As I loaded the groceries into my car I couldn't help but smile large. The entire day went off perfect. I really felt feminine and just another woman out shopping. If one person had suspicions, it was not apparent to me in the least, other than the little girl. I subsequently went to a McDonalds drive through and again seemed to have success.

So, I hope my tale helps others like myself who have hesitated for years due to fear. It is difficult to describe the sense of freedom and elation that comes with dressing in public and getting away with it. I really don't know why it feels so good other than to express my feminine side, my alter ego I guess.

Others have posted that people notice, but don't stare or make an issue of seeing a man in women's clothes. Maybe they're correct, but it wasn't apparent to me at all in this outing. If that is the case, then Thank You American Public!

The posts on this website enticed me to venture out after thirty plus years of dressing behind closed doors. Thank you all and I hope this post encourages others to do the same.

Hi Christina, it sounds like you had a great time. Several observations that I have made while dressed and out with the public. First we crossdressers probably dress more nicely than a lot of the general female public. Secondly, if we act appropiately for how we are dressed, most of the public does not pay attention to the details that might give us away. Finally, I think that most people simply do not care if we are crossdressed.
    Love, Sabrina

Christina that was a great story, reminded me of my first ventures into the public, thank you for sharing.
    Isn't that a wonderful feeling to be able to shop and browse, taking your time, enjoying all the feelings and sensations as you go about your business.

Last year I went into a Kohls and became lost in the sales racks...it was a wonderland of clothes. Me and several other ladies crossed paths as we looked thru all those clearance items.
    Not one of them paid me any special attention, just a casual smile as we continued perusing all of those clothes.
    Later at the checkout, the young SA asked me if I found everything, I replied with a smile and said "almost, I'll get the rest next time...". She smiled and said "yes I know what you mean".
    That was a $200 trip so it was all business as she rang me up!
    "Missed it by that much!"

Always fun being out, if you find yourself in a line at the checkout, and people notice you, just look them in the eye, and smile.
    I've had quite a few nice conversations with other shoppers which has started with a smile.

They will either think your having lots of fun or your insane
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

YES!! I love reading success stories like this! Makes ya wonder why you waited so long huh?

Keep going girl, and *if* an awkward situation does come about, which it will one day... we all get them, shrug it off and keep on struttin'!

Your tale brought back memories of when I did a cross country trip and at the last minute decided to travel dressed. That drive was from Amarillo, TX to Seligman, AZ before doing some hiking in the Grand Canyon (Havasupai). I didn't make the whole trip dressed, but made it to the AZ border until my 5 O'Clock shadow got the best of me and I changed. Up to then though, the stops to check out roadside attractions, get gas and food, and other rest stops, I was surprised that I never received any odd reactions. Prior to that time, I had only ventured out to bars and clubs.

I'm giddy with joy for you!!!

So, did grocery shopping as your female self change what your purchasing habits normally are? Don't know why I thought of that, but just curious about it.

--Charlene
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Genetically Fabulous Robyne Rocks's Avatar
    This makes me so happy to read, I nearly cried. It made my heart hurt when you mentioned being afraid of being tackled and beaten. It's not an unfounded fear, these things have happened, and I have met people to whom this *has* happened. I don't mean to scare anyone. Quite the opposite. Because really, I have known many many CDs, T-girls, drag queens, transexuals, etc., who have had way more positive than negative experiences with being brave and being themselves.

I think this community needs to hear a lot more positive stories, because it's so easy to let yourself stay afraid of the world. It takes some balls to go into it, but once you do, so often you see there's so little to have been afraid of. Bad things do happen, but it sucks to live your life in fear of the possibility of them happening to you.

I'm proud of your bravery, and I hope you keep moving forward in your journey. I hope you feel liberated and beautiful.

Silver Member
    It would be so great to have your story happen on every outing - never any negative confrontations, but IMO real life is usually not that generous! Always try to be the best image of your feminine side with a presentation of confidence and comfort in who you are! Enjoy.

Platinum Member
    Hi Christina, That sure sounds like a great day.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I agree. Life is so much wonderful when no one pays any attention to your appearance.

Your experience is like my own. If you go around acting like it is normal, most everybody will react like it is normal. I wear female clothes when I go to restaurants, the bank, clothing stores, grocery stores, auto parts stores, building supply stores, the VA hospital, any place where I would do errands in the normal course of the day. And it all feels normal. I is a good and comforting feeling knowing that you don't have to hide it anymore.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Christina,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us. I think it comes down to attitude and owning the moment. I have no doubt people read us but for the most part they are either too busy with their own day to notice or care. If you act like you belong people might give you a glance but little else . . . you did good sweetie and I am glad you had that internal smile when you left the grocery store . . . it is the greatest of feelings. You are so right about children and what is precious is that they operate with no filters. I was in line at a grocery store and a little girl with her mom was in front of me. The little girl turned around and looked at me then turned to her mom and said "Mommy I think that is a boy". The mom apologized but all I could do was laugh . . . after all she was right.

Her is to more Christina days out and about.

Hugs

Isha

Crossdresser
    It's stories like this that give hope and encouragement to those still afraid to venture outside. Thanks Christina for passing that along.

I usually reply to first time outings that you can't wait to do it again, which you just completed. Congratulations again. It gets easier with each outing, except for deciding what to wear.

I've noticed the same things as you; people don't notice you or don't care if they do so long as you are acting like any other lady. And a smile goes a long way. I have had women checking me out when I was dressed. I think it's because you don't see many women dressed up nicely just to go shopping.

The one thing that caught me off guard last time at Kohls was a man holding the door for me as I was leaving, but we got to the doors at the same time so I held the inner door for him. It was out of habit and I forgot I was en femme. It must have been unusual for him too.

Remember to keep your shoulders back and chest out as you strut along. Enjoy all your future outings.

Charlotte Allison Morris NavyM2F_WAM's Avatar
    Christina,

That was an awesome story. I smile when I have positive reactions to my being out (most of the time no one says anything to me).

Today, I went to Cici's Pizza. One of the times I went to get more pizza, one of the girls working asked me, "Where do you get your shoes? They are so cute." I proceeded to tell her where I got the pair I had on (Payless). After I got back to the table, I just smiled again. If I had more courage, maybe I could have asked her out. When I was leaving, I gave her more information about the shoes, and she seemed really excited about them. As I walked to the car, guess what I did. Yep. I smiled again.

Thank you all for the kind words, wisdom and stories. I love the stories. Aviatrix, no, I was grocery shopping for the family so the only abnormal thing I did was look at makeup, but didn't buy any. Being dressed, I felt very comfortable looking at makeup whereas when not dressed I feel pretty embarrassed! Enjoy Okinawa, nice place to visit.

I will be alone this month with 5 days to myself, so I'm thinking of spending the whole time dressed while doing some sightseeing. Hope I can work up the courage! And, if looked at, I will follow everyone's advice, keep my shoulders back and smile.

Christina: That is a great story and does give me some hope of doing the same thing one of these days. Thanks for the update and you did give me a smile.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Such a wonderful story Christina we are all proud of you!!

Considering "the space" you occupy in the world I am pleased that you are able to overcome those difficulties.

Keep up the good work Christina.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Wonderful story Christina. Reminds me of the thrill I got first time I went out shopping dressed en femme and conversed with the female SA. She knew I was a CD, despite my best makeup attempt. It didn't matter to her, she simply saw a person who took the effort to get all pretty and appreciated it. Even commenting on the dress I was wearing.

I felt so good that day, it instilled the confidence I needed to continue going out.

Good job Christina!
    I truly envy you!
    Being from Mexico and having a VERY conservative family, I'd never think about venturing outside and have never done so, but crave it sooo badly!
    So I'm happy for you