Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what point did it no linger become about the cloths.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar

At what point did it no longer become about the cloths.

Have any other girls here ever had to deal with this issue?

At what point did it turn from being just a crossdresser to wondering who you really are. When did it go from the cloths being the main point to it being more about you as a person.

For me dressing up just to appear female on the outside has lost its appeal, I feel the same inside no matter what I see in the mirror. I no longer need womens cloths to justify feeling this way. I have slowly been blending female traits into everyday life, such as my current hairstyle, shaved legs, pierced ears and and some of my mannerisms. Now I just have no idea of which direction to turn to really sort it out.

Have any others here ever felt this way or is just the appeal of appearing female enough?
    Last edited by Erica Marie; 06-08-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Erica

Ive only been Dressing a month or so and already feel this way. I just finished reading two feminist centered books. Im trying to empathize with the feminine condition and bring it into myself. Its more than the dressing. The clothes are a tool and an expression.

I think I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm not an expert - However, have you considered the idea that you might be a trans? that it's more than dressing up and showing off because thats how I feel deep inside and dressing up is just a means for me to express it out there. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-09-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: you don't need to quote OP

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate_Santiano View Post
    However, have you considered the idea that you might be a trans?
    This does indeed bear consideration. For all of the trans women I know who started out CDing, it's no longer about the clothes - when they realized that the clothes were just "their clothes", it signaled to them something deeper was going on. For me, I realized last February / March that the only time I felt normal was when I was crossdressed - presenting as a man just wasn't who I was. And here I am now, 10 months into transition...

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    when they realized that the clothes were just "their clothes", it signaled to them something deeper was going on.
    Funny you should mention that, because that was the point I realized I was serious about CDing. But I'm not at all a transexual.

I think a key sign of being a transexual is gender dysphoria. I accept both the male and female parts of myself. There's no battle between them, and they're both often active at the same time, psychologically speaking.

I'm told this means I'm androgynous.
    Last edited by WhisperTV; 06-08-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Platinum Member
    Not quite sure. I still prefer women's clothes, it mor as context than an end in themselves. To me it's about being in harmony, inside and out.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Marie View Post
    Now I just have no idea of which direction to turn to really sort it out.

Have any others here ever felt this way or is just the appeal of appearing female enough?
    A gender therapist may be able to help you sort out these issues.

As to your question, I think there's a distinction between feeling feminine and wearing women's clothes. I've been aware of and accepting of my feminine side most of my life. I've only started CDing a few months ago. Neither led to the other.
    Last edited by WhisperTV; 06-08-2014 at 02:53 PM.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I started dressing Sep 2011, out of the blue, so of course I was a cross dresser. I dressed every time wife was out, i took pictures after picture. then in Oct 2012 it hit me that my clothes were not women's clothes, but they were merely my clothes. I was suited to wear whatever was available, and my inner self did not change with the clothes. I did not dress or take a picture from Nov 2012 until Nov 2013. I was female regardless of my outer shell. For me the dysphoria hit hard, and i started hormones Nov 2012.

I am female. i do not hide my breasts, my lack of hair, my soft skin, my nails. Wife can't stand to see me dressed so I dont, and she has set boundaries i am trying to honor. She accepts that I was meant to have been born a woman.

Just keep on doing what you are doing as long as it is enjoyable. what you are, CD, TG, gender fluid, etc. will develop and you will be yourself. If you begin to feel uncomfortable, a therapist might help. If you continue to feel comfortable, just keep going.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

For my entire life, I have wondered who I really was.
    The femme me is a lot more comfortable.
    Stephanie

Sorry but that isn't the road I am traveling.

For me it has always been about the clothes.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    I don't know ... for me it was more like there was always something not right inside, and I have never felt all that confident in who I am. As if, for my entire life, I've been trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle of self. There have been a few defining moments along the way, where a puzzle piece snapped into place and at a very base layer something clicked in my mind that said "oh, that's for me!".

The first time I picked up a musical instrument was very much like that. The first time I ever used a computer (a C-64 in my elementary school) was like that. Oddly enough, when I first met my wife it was like that too ... which is odd because it was also exactly like that the first time I tried on some of my mother's clothes when I was about 7 or 8, and you'd think those two things would be at cross-purposes. As it turns out, they aren't.

When puberty hit, it sort of distorted my view of what was going on I think. It became highly sexual. So sexual, for a time it seemed like that's all there was too it. It was easy to rationalize, and so I went with it. It wasn't until much later, after being married and half way through raising my kids, did I finally get some perspective on what I'd been up to for so long. As it slowly became less and less sexual over the years, I began to realize that I've always been doing this, and I always would because I had felt like "oh this is for me!" from the very beginning ... and then one day it registered that there's a word for people like this, and that this word applied to me.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

I can relate to your post Erica, I've been stuck at the same stage for quite a while.
    I just want to interact with people as myself and for them to see me.

If I was wearing jeans and a sweat shirt and people saw me as Sarah I would be so happy.
    I'm not at that stage yet.

Sarah.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Erica,

I am not sure on this one myself as it is "not about the clothes" for me but then again it is not about the clothes for me when I am dressed "en boy" as well. Clothes are clothes for me "boy" or "girl". I like to go out as Isha and I like to go out as boy me the two just sort of exist. Are you seeing a gender identity therapist? If not, it might be a good place to bring order to chaos. You may be TS but then again my may not.

Hugs

Isha

Aspiring Member
    I've always felt different since I was 4 or 5. Then at around 12 I would wear my sisters clothes. Somehow it felt "right." Now that I'm 61 and have been the route of constant dressing, today it's more for comfort and to again somehow feel "right." I know I interact better with women than with men and the male dressing side of me is just to fit in with male friends. Would I transition today? Most likely not because I'm not up to all of the challenges and social implications. So, I just live somewhere in between. When I go out I dress male. At home I dress as most women would. I love seeing myself fully dressed and feeling the comfort of all of my clothes that fill a dresser and closet. But they are just clothes. I'm comfortable in womens jeans and tops. Occasionally a wig, bra, and earrings for my pierced ears make me feel better. And as I said in another post, I love going in our pool in a one-piece ladies suit. I like the comfort and living a dual life that satisfys a predominant female side of me. How many women do you know who dress to the nines and spend time with makeup every day? For the almost 30 years I've known my wife, she's never used makeup.

Cheryl

It depends on the person really. Once I got in touch wit ALL of my feelings, accepted them and was no longer ashamed or afraid of them and made them my own, I was able to be anyone I wanted to be, presentation notwithstanding. I am in charge of who I am at any given time, regardless of presentation.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

It was a gradual transition for me, although it has ramped up over the last ten years.

Platinum Member
    Hi Erica, For me it's the clothes I like to be able to enjoy the best of both worlds.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

It has never just been about the clothes for me. Feminine clothing is just the main way in which I bring what is internal to the external, and in doing so brings me a type of comfortable feeling.

I have since a small boy, had feminine mannerisms, and had a type of comfort around girls/women most men do not. I am not a female in any way.... but I do relate to females in certain ways because of femininity that is within me. CDing connects the inner femininity to the physical world.

As my name suggests, my gender is very mixed. I relate to women in certain ways, better in some ways in fact than I do with men. Then other ways in which I have masculinity which makes me relate to men in ways far better than women. Some aspects of women I will never understand, and while there is a general curiosity as to why women think and act in certain ways which I do not, I don't make a monumental effort to figure it out, I can't anyway, so I really don't put much thought or effort into it.

I do not put any effort into being feminine or more feminine. My efforts these days is to accept myself and my gender difference, and to learn how to be comfortable with it and balanced with it.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Going thru that now but I am seeing a therapist about my uncertainty. It seems to be working and opening up my eyes to who I am. But the clothes are still a part of my identity.

I don't remember exactly how long it took before I really believed that I was supposed to be a girl. I mean, the concept occurred right away; what was suggested sort of made sense, penis size, the dress fit, my hair was long enough to be feminine, and of course when I looked in the mirror, instead of a boy in a dress, I saw a girl. Then when I realized the underwear fit too, it kind of cemented the idea. Then when I went home, I started thinking about all the things in my life that might have indicated that I was female instead of male. Pretty deep thinking for a kid that still believed in Santa and the easter bunny. The girl's clothes that fit so well were simply more evidence with the past things in my life that could have suggested that I wasn't who I was supposed to be. So; my answer is, maybe around when I turned seven? That would be my guess.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Only took about 40 years or so. Been thinking about it for about the last 5 years. Still no resolution.

Michaella

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    yea it stopped being about the clothes a long time ago...i noticed one year (2003) ish.. during the summer..i started wearing less and less clothes due to the summer heat...and even though i wore less, i still FELT the same, I still felt like a girl ...I think somewhere along the line the male and female ( in me) combined and turned into one ..or I found myself...either way..I have been comfortable ever since...I could be wearing pink sweatpants, or a skirt and heels and I still feel exactly the same inside. Clothing is just on the outside. My opinon ( for what it's worth)..the real girl starts from within...it dosent start out that way...but for some of us, we discover and learn a bit more about ourselves through the clothing.

Charlotte Allison Morris NavyM2F_WAM's Avatar
    I've only been crossdressing for a few months, but I have wanted to for a long time. More than that, I have had a deep-rooted desire to become a woman. I am not sure what caused this desire, but I have wanted it so badly, I can metaphorically taste it! Unfortunately, I will have to wait until I get out of the Navy to go through with this. <sigh>

I can't say that there was a single point where that became apparent. It was more of a flowing river than a bend in the road.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I have spent my life in deep denial. As I look back I can see things and think "now it all makes sense." Over the years there were a small handful of times I would wear women's clothing. It was always undergarments and only for as long as it took to finish my fantasy.

A year ago my wife painted my nails. When I looked down at my pretty nails something clicked inside. I knew it was somehow right. I don't think I'm really a woman trapped in a mans body. I don't really think I'm just a dude in a dress. Maybe somewhere in between. It was that moment; looking down at my nails I understood that i was a crossdresser. It is not only all about the clothes but at the same time it's not.

I have three different presentations. Occasionally I present female. Using dresses, wigs, make up and forms my wife assists in the transformation to Rita. Very rarely I present fully male. If we are going out somewhere I need to wear something nicer than jeans I will put on a suit. Or if I'm doing work that might ruin the clothes I dress as a dude. Most of the time I am wearing female pants and tops. My nails are painted and my ears pierced. Regardless of how I'm presenting I feel exactly the same inside. It's definitely not about the clothes. But life wouldn't be quite right without them either.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~