Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling upset

Unhappy Feeling upset

This is so strange. I've been dressing for over 40 years and never felt this way before, and it's all down to a ring !

I have had full make-up on, I have wigs, clothing, wear proper forms, been out in public, yet this has got to me and I don't like the way I feel.

I'm happily married and have worn my (male) wedding ring for the last 14+ years since I got hitched. Recently I bought a couple of costume rings on ebay, one engagement and one wedding. They are really nice and and almost perfect fit, most rings take a while to settle in.

But, when I took off my wedding ring and put the engagement ring on just now I felt really sad, was I breaking a sacred bond with my wife? What would she think/say if she saw ?

I know, it sounds so silly, but this is the first time I've removed the wedding ring. The new rings don't 'fit' with that in the way and I had thought this would just be part of my male-female persona. The wedding ring will go back on shortly but I really don't want to feel so downhearted when I swap them over.

I am tempted to thrown them in the bin rather than argue with myself, but why am I feeling like this ? I would never cheat on my wife, my other woman is myself, and she knows that.

The wedding ring is the only thing I wear in the bath, shower, bed and so on. It just feels so strange to upset myself like this.

Hello Polly: I am, in my other identity, a jeweler. Not only do I make many wedding rings but I specialize in symbolic jewelry, that is to say jewelry that people imbue with special meaning. Don't beat yourself up about this. You have, over many years, given the little piece of metal that is your ring a special significance. But this significance only exists because of how you have imbued it with symbolic meaning. Please allow yourself to play with other jewelry without feeling you are somehow betraying your bond. The bond doesn't exist in the jewelry. It exists in your mind. The jewelry is just a symbol. It is a talisman. It certainly is important, but not because of what it is, just because of the meaning you give to it. Your relationship with your SO is not diminished in any way by your wearing,especially in play, costume jewelry you bought elsewhere. Be kind to yourself. Allow your playfulness and fantasy to be all right in your life without burdening yourself with guilt.

Platinum Member
    Perhaps you could ask her to give you a ring....that would make it special.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

girly girl
    Polly- that's not silly at all, I think it is sweet and romantic. You obviously value and respect what your wedding ring means.
    Maybe if your wife knew about the way this is making you feel (and why you feel this way), she might think it sweet or romantic too? If she understands that the "other woman" is you, maybe she would understand why you want to wear the rings?

Genetically Fabulous Robyne Rocks's Avatar
    My husband has 2 rings, a simple, more masculine hematite band, & a very feminine silver with pink heart stone. He wears the masculine one in everyday life, to work and such. He wears the other whenever he wants a touch of sparkle, even if he's not dressed. I have no problem with this. I like seeing his sparkly ring. It's more than a symbol of fidelity, it's a symbol of the blossoming of his feminine side, & this beautiful thing we share together. Both rings are meaningful in their own ways.

Of course it's not silly to feel this emotional attachment to your wedding ring. And it's not silly to want a more feminine ring. I also suggest talking with your wife about it, & perhaps she can help you process these feelings & make a decision. I would also suggest, you don't have to stop wearing your original ring altogether. It could be worn on the other hand, or as a necklace, so it's still close to you.

If you really want a permanent feminine ring, you could also take your original to a jeweler to see about adding embellishments. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Robyne Rocks; 06-10-2014 at 09:01 PM.

If I take off my wedding ring raucous alarms start going off all over my house and her phone blares an alert....can't figure out how she managed that.

I think that's sweet. And cool. Props for that!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Polly,

I really like Devida's response. You have given your wedding ring significance and when you take it off it is like taking a part of your vow off with it. I am not sure if your wife knows about Polly but if she does, speak to your wife and ask her what she thinks and if she at all minds. This might help fight some of your angst. Also if she does know, the comment by Kim makes perfect sense, a ring given to you by your wife for when you are Polly. For security reasons, I never wore my ring when in a combat theatre so when I left I gave it to my wife for safekeeping and each time I returned she put it back on my finger. Perhaps you could do the same when you transform into Polly, give your ring to your wife and have her place back on your finger when you return to "boy".

Hugs

Isha

Obviously it isn't silly. It is something that you take seriously. Only you can decide how you feel about that. I Don't wear a wedding band. i used to, but it kept getting damaged at work. So i put it up. For me, i said "i do" long before we exchanged vows and rings. And i have no desire to change that. She is as much a part of me as my arms that long to hold her everyday. As my eyes that can only see her. What power does a ring hold that my heart does not?
    Even if you ARE the sharpest tool in the shed, your still a tool.

Don't think it's silly, Polly - looks like a lot of us here have the same feelings...

Devida's response is spot-on I think - obviously our resident expert in symbolic jewellery... the Robert Langdon of Bling! (Sorry Devida - I'm sure your designs are superior stuff! ) - Seriously, my wedding ring has huge symbolism for me. I do remove it when I dress as I think it feels just too masculine, but I have an older, custom dress ring that I wear in it's place, that has become an alternate symbol for Katey... It might only be a small thing but the symbolism is important and how it supports what goes on in your head is also important to you... don't be downhearted - find a way to celebrate both aspects of your bond...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Polly it may be easier if you think of it in a different way.

A lot of people have jobs where they are not allowed to wear rings for safety reasons. I am sure some of them have a similar attachment to a ring they have been given. Unfortunately they don't get a choice so please don't be too hard on yourself.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Aspiring Member
    Well, I'm seeing this a little differently (don't I always?! ) But then, I sometimes feel I'm literally one of the only wives here posting from the perspective of those of us who don't love our H's crossdressing.

So from that side, Polly, I have to ask why you're taking it off in the first place. Do you pass as a woman and this is the only give away? Or do most people assume you're a man and this is really just about your own fantasies/feelings?

I'm not writing this to hurt, just to think. It's incredibly sweet that you feel bad, and maybe that's a good thing. Maybe keep wearing your ring?

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I too feel strange when I take off my wedding ring. Although it's conductive properties create real danger with my occupation, it stays on. I'm always afraid of losing it while doing yard work or something. My wife, on the other hand will set her fairly expensive rings down, anywhere. You know, you can pull a ring off of your finger but the feeling is always in your heart.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

As a wife it would mean a lot to me to know that you really felt something when you took the ring off. I never take off my wedding band. It is more than a reminder of a special day or of fidelity. It is a symbol of the never ending love that I feel for my H. It has changed over the years with scratches and dings but so has our love. Yet it is a constant in our lives. We both wear our rings and as my H doesn't go out when he is dressed, it is forever on his finger. I will ask him but I don't think that he has ever considered not wearing it. If you really wanted to look more femme, why not just add a solitare to the band? That is what many wedding sets of my generation look like.

Platinum Member
    Hi Polly, I got an engagement looking ring that compliments the wedding ring that has been on my finger for over 50 years.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

My wife gave me the rings I wear on my left hand (and upgraded them over time to match the ones I gave her - i was touched they she insisted on buying them)

Do you have an anniversary coming up? Buy you and your wife new bands.
    I bought Sherlyn a thinner ( could be guy or girl band with diamonds when we married) band. That way never has to take it off in either mode and slips on the engagement ring with it and looks perfect.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Polly, I completely understand what you're saying. I'll be married 34 years and during that time I've never taken my wedding ring off, and never plan to.

Polly, rather than find ways to overcome your misgivings and find a way to not feel bad when you remove your wedding ring, I suggest listening to your gut feelings.

Here's a pretty good article from Psychology today about our instincts, why we have them, which we should listen to and which we shouldn't:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...4/gut-almighty

One of their points is that gut feelings indicate our moral compass, our internal belief of what is right or wrong. I think something is telling you that it is a betrayal to your wife and marriage if you remove your wedding ring. I know how that feels, I felt the same way and as silly as it sounds, the most poignant point in my divorce was when (long before we divorced) I noticed that my ex had removed his. You could ask your wife how she might feel if you remove the ring, but if something is telling you that she might not understand and rather feel hurt, then you must weigh what is most important to you.
    Reine

The ring is more than just a symbol. It is part of who your are now, and that is a part of a couple.

I feel the same way about my ring.

I've had doctors try and get me to remove my ring when going to surgery, but it simply won't come off without cutting it off. That ain't going to happen. Their reasons for removing it have proved baseless so far.

You could try wearing it on the other hand, or just get a nice stone that is closer in look to your ring.
    DonnaT

My solution to this when I was married was to wear what looked like an engagement ring with my wedding band like many women do.
    Hugs, Carole

Banned Read only
    With being a photographer and attending so many weddings I continually heard the symbolic reason behind the wedding ring and the binding of two people to become one, so I can understand the feeling about removing it. I chose not to have a wedding ring because I felt it effeminate, I even tried to hide my CDing like that !
    I did wear a ring given to me by a GF but I burnt my hand badly by somehow shorting it out across a car battery, I don't know what the ring was made of but it just vaporised !!

My wedding ring is eternal.
    Never been off and never likely to.
    I have a diamond engagement ring that goes on when I am dressed.
    It sometimes inadvertently gets left on.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I don't wear rings, I have only 3 fingers on my left hand, the ring finger is gone, caught on something while swimming off a boat. Never found ring or the finger. But I can relate how you feel.
    I may not be a super model, but it feels so good.

I have a costume engagement ring for when I'm dressed which is worn with my wedding ring. Sometimes I have to remove my ring for work, it feels odd when my wedding ring is off, like I'm missing part of the bond with my wife. At those times I wear it on a chain around my neck (must be light weight so as not to strangle or cut into me if it gets caught up).