Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Wearing a Skirt / Hose out and About...

Question on Wearing a Skirt / Hose out and About...

I was just wondering - if I were to wear a skirt and pantyhose with no other crossdressing would I likely get banned from any stores or get in any legal trouble? ie if I went to the grocery store (Kroger), McDonalds, or a coffee shop such as Starbucks wearing this, are they likely to object? I do also have long hair, though.

I live in Columbus, Ohio. I found a reference someone made to crossdressing being illegal on a forum, but from what I've heard major cities do not hold people to these laws anymore (most have probably repealed them).

Nope!

The laws you've heard about probably refer to eluding the law, entering the restroom of the opposite gender or "causing a disturbance". "Causing a disturbance" is kind of a catch-all policy that gets applied to a thousand different things, and eluding the law is if you're pretending to be someone else so you don't get arrested or served a subpoena.

So, no! Go out and CD to your heart's content, but just be kind and courteous as ever.

Crossdressing is legal in most US states, and you should be fine in a major city. And it's okay to wear a skirt with pantyhose. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't. Just be confident, and be yourself
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

In City of Columbus v. John Rogers, the Ohio Supreme Court struck down a Columbus statute which outlawed “dress not belonging to his or her sex” because of the statute’s vagueness.
    DonnaT

Thanks for the feedback. What about the chances of getting banned from one of the stores I listed?

Aspiring Member
    I would think as long as you are dressed "tasteful" that you wouldn't get banned, unless that's what you're trying to do.

Here's a story about someone in Los Angeles:
    http://www.laweekly.com/informer/201...fine-with-that

I doubt you're getting banned from a store. That's bad business. The CD dollar is as good as any other dollar, always remember that.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

You should be fine. I have gone to grocery store and coffee shops wearing dresses. If you are polite and courteous, no one should object to you visiting these establishments. And if you attend a place on a regular basis while dressed, you may even make friends.
    Back on the forums! But still very much closeted.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    I doubt you're getting banned from a store. That's bad business. The CD dollar is as good as any other dollar, always remember that.
    In a vacuum, yes, but not if others are unwilling to visit the store due to a "negative" experience of seeing a CD.

Not that I expect other customers to explain, but I wouldn't put it past some to do so.

I think it is illegal to ban someone because of how they are dressed,as long as you aren't showing private parts or too much butt cleavage.....this is America and we still have rights for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Saepe View Post
    In a vacuum, yes, but not if others are unwilling to visit the store due to a "negative" experience of seeing a CD.

Not that I expect other customers to explain, but I wouldn't put it past some to do so.
    I guess the question is whether major establishments such as Kroger are likely to ban people.
    Franchises such as McDonalds are usually actually locally owned, so that might be a bit more up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiegirl1
    I think it is illegal to ban someone because of how they are dressed,as long as you aren't showing private parts or too much butt cleavage.....this is America and we still have rights for now.
    If anyone knows of legal precedent or laws on this I'd be really interested. If such laws exist, they would be anti discrimination laws.
    Last edited by dack; 06-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.

The grocery store I go to is a pretty major establishment in the Southern United States. I've gone there a few times while dressed and never had an issue. I don't think I would have a problem going to Kroger either (there actually is one not far from where I live, though I don't go there often and have actually never gone in there dressed).
    Back on the forums! But still very much closeted.

Whether dressed in drab or en femm, if you dress like "Hey look at me", people are going to look at you. The more out of style with the locals you are the more you are going to get looked at. That may cause a disturbance and see above for the outcomes.... I prefer to dress to blend in both modes. For me that means no tats, no spandex, no spiked hair, no non-ear piercings, no sweat pants, no sponge bob pajama bottoms.....

I say dress the way you want and feel confident. Own your look and get out there.

Renne.....

Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    Whether dressed in drab or en femm, if you dress like "Hey look at me", people are going to look at you. The more out of style with the locals you are the more you are going to get looked at. That may cause a disturbance and see above for the outcomes.... I prefer to dress to blend in both modes. For me that means no tats, no spandex, no spiked hair, no non-ear piercings, no sweat pants, no sponge bob pajama bottoms.....
    Renne.....
    I was just thinking skirt and pantyhose for now. Later I might try some sort of matching top, a dress, heels, a hair style, a necklace, and/or makeup.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    I prefer to dress to blend in both modes. For me that means no tats, no spandex, no spiked hair, no non-ear piercings, no sweat pants, no sponge bob pajama bottoms.....
    Renne.....
    And you blend in???? Where do you live I want to move there.

Dack, I live in Ohio also. While I am years beyond post-op, I have many friends who do CD. As long as you are not causing a disruption of their business you will not be banned (keep in mind there are dheads everywhere). In other words, go in, do your thing, pay your money, and leave. You shouldn't have a problem.

Platinum Member
    Hi Dack, I really don't think that the stores want that kind of lawsuit on their hands, just go for it.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    I doubt you're getting banned from a store. That's bad business.
    And recently a major fast food chain booted a little girl out of a store because "she was scaring the other customers" because of facial scars. I wouldn't put it past any local store manager to make a scene about ... anything. If you're in a big accepting city like Austin or San Francisco you should be fine. In a small town like I live in... well, you might get lynched.

~Mel
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Aspiring Member
    I have been grocery shopping en femme often and without any trouble. I just dress like the GGs my age for the occasion. The store knows that my money is just as green the next person's.

An anecdote about grocery shopping en femme: I went grocery shopping en femme and forgot my purse in the shopping cart in the parking lot. I noticed a couple hours later at home. I went back the the grocery store, a WalMart, still en femme. It was a busy day. I stood in the customer service line with everybody else. I told the agent my tale of woe. She looked at the other agent and said, "She lost her purse. There is one in the back that matches her description of it." The other agent went to the back of the office and came back a minute later with my purse. She opened my femme wallet and found my (male photo) ID. She asked my name and I responded accurately. She gave me my purse and wished me well. No one in line seemed to notice. The WalMart? At the corner of Academy and Voyager in Colorado Springs.
    Last edited by abby054; 06-18-2014 at 08:16 PM.

I've had no problem at Sears, JC Penney's, Wal-Mart or Kohl's. I haven't tried the local grocery because I live in a small town and don't wish to draw attention to myself.

I can't think of a downside to getting banned from McDonalds.

Has anyone gone to a Kroger owned store dressed?
    Starbucks, Subway, Panera, or McDonalds?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa_59 View Post
    And recently a major fast food chain booted a little girl out of a store because "she was scaring the other customers" because of facial scars. I wouldn't put it past any local store manager to make a scene about ... anything.
    That is terrible...

It really all is a matter of how you present. I have started similar threads in the past which caused huge controversy, although it comes down to KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid!). If you are going to go with the skirt/hose combo, then you should have clean shaven legs to go with it. Doesn't matter whether you present otherwise male or female, just keep the skirt length regionally tasteful, as well the rest of what you wear. Don't have your head on a swivel and act perfectly natural. It is truly astonishing how few people seem to take notice...
    My daughter and I see a well appointed male CD on a weekly basis in the area she attends school. This person is always very well dressed and remarkably presentable even with clearly male face and hair. I wish I could somehow show this person here, but it would be wholly inappropriate to take a photo! It seems that he is living the more authentic life then I am for one...

Quote Originally Posted by dack View Post
    Has anyone gone to a Kroger owned store dressed?
    Starbucks, Subway, Panera, or McDonalds?.
    I'm sure all of these establishments would prefer that you arrive "dressed"

Seriously though, I'd worry more about Joe Schmo than the store.

What are the panty hoes for? Unless your going to a funeral or the office no one wears panty hoes, besides its 90 degrees F.

april has a point…you're WAY more likely to get banned if you go to a store undressed.

Dress tastefully, act accordingly and don't weird yourself out.
    I feel you should be okay.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.