Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse discrimination

Tracii, That took guts. It could have turned far uglier, if they had tried to bear you up. It may have been on the 6 o clock news. But, you handled it with strengyh, and wise words.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Tracii gurl you rock. As far as I am concerned you handled the situation very well. You put them in their place and you did it by educating them in a fashion that they would understand. Alot of people speak before thinking and some people just have no common sense. At times u just need to do what you gotta do.
    Erica

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Joanne its not about being brave its more about confident in who you are.
    If you can educate one person out of 2 or 3 at least you are making a difference in how we are perceived by the public.
    I kept it calm,rational and to the point.Its all I can do.
    I'm know when to speak up and when to walk away and keep my dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    If you don't like how I handled it I'm sorry...
    I re-read the post and Starling's responses to it. From what I read, Starling's criticism was not about how you handled it at the time but rather how you characterized it as reverse discrimination. I agree that it was discrimination but not reverse discrimination. Mostly it was dumb kids with big mouths.

I think the kid who said it's a hate crime was admonishing his buddy to not start a fight, as then it might be grounds for a hate crime if an assault actually ensued.
    Saying "if you apologize I'll let it go" implies that if no apology is forthcoming you won't let it go. Sometimes it's best to just walk away (both sides).

Tracii, I don't want a pissing match, either. (I'm pretty sure I would done my pissing in the parking lot.) I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear that I think you handled the situation well--if perhaps a bit too bravely :-)--in the moment. As for the rest of it, Nicole made her point while I was composing this, and I pretty much agree with what she said, with one exception; and it applies to the use of the second word of the phrase "reverse discrimination."

In point of fact, what happened to you wasn't actually discrimination, for that term implies the application of a policy which refuses someone access to rights, goods or services on the basis of a personal attribute the boss doesn't like. That's the crux of my belief that the term "reverse discrimination" is itself illegitimate. Those juvenile delinquents weren't denying your rights or your freedoms, they were simply expressing their completely biased and effed-up opinions. If the boy had physically assaulted you, that would have been a hate crime.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Quits now ladies, please...

I think we've all got the definition clear - whether you term it discrimination or just plain rudeness and abuse, the point is how to handle it when it happens... Tracii was the subject of the verbal attack in this case, and dealt with it in her own inimitable way... I think we can stretch a little the textbook definitions in pursuit of some common support for one of us in an awkward and potentially bad situation...

Let's keep it off race and technicalities and on-topic please from here...

Katey

Banned Spammer
    Perhaps I didn't need to use the term "reverse" and just said discrimination.
    The last thing I want is get into an argument so Lets just let this go.
    I'm trying to help others if they get in situations like this and possible ways to handle it nothing more nothing less.
    I'll just keep quiet on this site and lurk.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-22-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Please don't do that, Tracii. Hearing about your experience was instructive.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Traci, I was just saying I thought it sounded like double discrimination rather than reverse discrimination. I think you have a very valid case of racism and transphobia. And I think you handled it very well. I am totally with you on not judging people by their race, color, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, and other things. We are all human beings and deserve love.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    I think the kid who said it's a hate crime was admonishing his buddy to not start a fight, as then it might be grounds for a hate crime if an assault actually ensued.
    Nicole is quite correct. Someone exercising their first amendment rights, whether offensive or not, is not a crime. A physical assault based upon a perceived bias against race, gender, ethnicity, etc. is a hate crime.

Banned Spammer
    Anything I say is moot at this point so I think I'm done.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-22-2014 at 10:12 PM.

You go girl......that is no fear and the simplest way to deal with people......But as we all know things could have ended a lot different too.

Wow,you handled that very well,not sure what I would have done in that situation.....it was total discrimination by these kids.....I see why you call it reverse discrimination,being black kids,they probably have been victims of it themselves....I see what you meant...please don't just lurk here because of some people who have to over-analyze your choice of words....some people just love to argue and criticize others........you did and said the right thing!!! I am proud of you.....XOXO Jamie

Wow.. I can't imagine I'd have the nerve to do what you did. You're one strong lady.. god bless..

Silver Member
    Forget the whole discrimination thing, that was a good way to get yourself killed. You should have said nothing back and kept on going about your business (with one eye on them to cover yourself.) Talking back or confronting someone like that is the worst thing you can do. Regardless of race, those kids have no respect for others and probably have little respect for human life either. They could have been armed with a weapon and seriously hurt you. They always tell people in self defense classes, walk away and only confront if you have no choice, it isn't worth your life to prove a point.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 06-23-2014 at 04:20 PM.