Thread: "How do I look?" and what a woman should say

Banned Read only

"How do I look?" and what a woman should say

I am posting this after reading a wife's post asking other wives, among other things, the following: "...so what do I say when he asks me if he looks good (meaning feminine or like a women)? What do I say when he asks me if he looks good in the dress he is wearing? ... But I just don't know what to say. ...And then I also feel that if I say he looks great, it encourages the behaviour more."

Well, those of us who are fortunate enough to have wives who both know and are willing to offer a critique, we are VERY lucky. Objective criticism helps a lot. (Cross dressers, feel free to chime in here.) Most of us have been in the closet so long that we just don't
    know what looks good. I can't tell how hard it is to match a top and skirt that aren't solid and primary colors. I have often said that cross dressers need women's geramimals. ​Remember the clothing line for boys that all you had to do was match the animal on a top and pant? Anyway, I digress.

So what should wives say if asked the question above? First, be honest. IF the CLOTHING looks goo,d say so. If it looks bad, say so. Don't worry about hurting his feelings, you are helping him. In either case tell him why. What worked or didn't. The same applies to questions about makeup or "passability." My wife will always compliment or critique an outfit I ask her about and without a comment on my makeup. My typical question is, "Does this look like something a normal woman would wear?" (kind of cracks me up to write that.) If I specifically ask about my makeup, she is equally honest. Once or twice I asked her if she saw me on the street would she instantly know I was a man and she gave me an honest opinion.

Cross dressers need honesty, not false praise. You are a wife, not a cheerleader. Honesty will teach him AND
    temper the pink fog.

Good luck wives.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 06-22-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Silver Member
    This spouse obviously does not like seeing her husband in a dress regardless of how he looks because she does not want to "encourage" his dressing. I think her honest response would be "I don't like to see you in a dress, so don't even ask me" if she wants to be honest.

I would agree about the need for honesty if the context was related to going out dressed or learning. But if someone is dressing to remain at home, the question "How do I look?" takes on a different meaning. Same too, if the couple is going out and does not care what anyone else thinks.

Let's face it, a lot of us who crossdress will never look terrific, or sexy in a dress, if we are compared to the images depicted in fashion magazines. But we can look good, and feel good, and look sexy and feel sexy, and look beautiful, and feel beautiful - to ourselves, and to our spouses and GFs - if they accept and understand and love us, regardless of comparisons strictly made to good-looking, fashionable females. A spouse can honestly say we look terrific if they see someone who feels beautiful and happy. I don't see that as "false praise" if our spouse loves the way we look to them regardless of our clothing.

If we are obese, and ask "Do I look good?", is it false praise for her to say that we look great in the new XXXL jeans and shirt we just tried on? I don't see this as dishonesty, but rather sensitivity.

If we seek objective critique of our outfit or makeup, honesty is appreciated. But if the question is simply meant to prompt an acceptance of who we are when dressed, regardless of makeup or style errors, I think we do want to hear "You look sexy or happy or special. You always look great to me."

If I was married, I don't think I'd ask that question, always loaded no matter who asks it. I prefer comments that I wasn't expecting. Honesty is always best I feel.

Honesty without being too emotional is the way I see it.

I am honest to a point on this board.

If someone presents badly I would say some improvement is needed and the send them a PM explaining why.

I have only had one offhanded comment to the tune of "I really don't care for anyone's opinion I do it my way."

Actually I wondered if it was Frank Sinatra.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I suppose you risk the real downer, " If I were you I wouldn't have bothered !"
    If you're in a totally honest and open situation genuine comments must be great !
    At the moment I can only wonder what it must be like but the cynical side of me can only imagine her thinking he looks OK but WTF does he want to do if for ??

Platinum Member
    Hi Jen, It's kind of a woman asking, Does this dress make my butt look big.
    There's just so many wrong answers.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jennifer.

I had an agreement with my wife when I first started dressing that she would be honest in my presentation skills (outfits, make-up, mannerisms, etc.). This was so I could learn and I promised her that I would not take it personally which is key because some people may say "give me an honest opinion" and when they get it "not so much". My wife is quite blunt in her comments (not rude but honest) and has ranged from "That looks good" to "Not good sweetie". As far as make-up goes, well let's just say this gal is not fooling anyone which I accept so no need for me to ask about if I look like a guy . My wife's opinion on make-up tends to center around "beard shadow showing" "too much make-up" or "just a plain bad make-up day". This has helped me immensely but I do have to admit sometimes the truth can be a bitter pill to swallow especially when you think "I rock this look" and get a "not good sweetie"

So my advice if you truly want an honest opinion from your wife or others then ensure you have a thick skin because sometimes people will remove the filter and give you both barrels . . . not to be mean but because you asked.

Hugs

Isha

Hi,

A woman's answer and not to be unkind.

Some men can be and get dressed up quite lovely and I would say pass and blend in very well. this I know from first hand experance and know many as well.

I am impressed and happy to say so, now the ? of how would I answer by saying they look lovely yes and can carry it off in a way that in many case's better than some women I know = females.

I know for my self what its like and have to hold back my thoughts on why can they dress and look better and yet are male's,

To be honist I don't look pretty don't pass like a normal female should. yet because im a bit different I do just not a pretty or sexy looking female ,

With this ?, It underminds some of us because we were not born with the to become pretty as we grow, so when a male can dress and have those looks we struggle , I know I have .

I don't see an issue with telling some one they look pretty with what they are wearing or they look nice. to say male's in this case of being feminine as look like a female then no, because we know they are not
    so will I say something to boost their own false self esteem of them selfs ,Its like saying to myself I look pretty when I don't ,

As a female I would rather be told the truth. I'v had to accept myself for who i am not what im not, so I'd rather be honist with people as they are with me.

Being a female may have a lot going for us I know it does, and there are details we have to contend with as well.

...noeleena...

"Does this dress make my butt look big?" To which the correct answer is: "No, your big butt makes your butt look big." Of course, no man has ever said that out loud and lived.

Being honest has it's limitations . . . . and it's proper place. For matters of style, fit, and "passability", the person asking should know what to expect from the person being asked. If you expect brutal honesty (see 1st paragraph) in the answer, you take your chances. If you expect a softened, or encouraging kind of answer without the sting, let that be known. If your answer is not of the question, but rather how you feel by being asked to comment/answer ("I don't like you doing that & don't want to encourage you."), then make yourself clear and you won't be asked again.

IMHO.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Firstly Jennifer, I'm not your wife but I'll adventure an honest comment that you look good in the sleeveless top. We're in cardigans and coats now.

My wife hasn't and doesn't want to see dressed so sadly no luxury of advice there. I do have a number of GG friends and acquaintences who offer advice ... usually sugar coated but nonetheless very helpful. Usually the comments both positive and negative mirror how I feel about how I look. Mirrors and honesty go together too.

It is the unexpected comment like "I'm jealous, pink looks good on you" that makes my day. If only wives knew that such a small thing can make us so happy ....

My wife and I have an agreement that we will not keep any outfit or item of clothing the other doesn't think they look good wearing. If I don't think my wife looks good in an outfit I try to give honest feedback i.e. it pulls across the bust, it puckers around the arm hole or baby it just doesn't do anything for your figure. I would never say your ass looks huge in that dress.

I don't get to go out very much due to work and family commitments but when it comes to deciding how an outfit looks on me I'm a much harsher critic than my wife. She will look at an outfit and tell me it is cute or precious on me and I will nitpick some minor flaw. Don't get me wrong since coming out to my wife she has helped me tremendously in upgrading my look from closet CD to a fashionable women who can blend in public.

All I can say is, I once saw a guy with an enormous beer gut, wearing a T Shirt that had emblazoned across the chest "Does My Belly Look Big In This?"

Actually, I get honest feedback, thank goodness.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Banned Read only

Does my butt look big?

I'm surprised that so many have gravitated toward this question. I think this is only asked on TV or movies. Usually, my wife might ask, "What do you think?" My answer is, "I like it." or "It doesn't do anything for you." If her butt look particularly "special" in some outfit, I'd say that. An honest answer needn't be rude.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 06-22-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Let's turn it around. She comes out and asks, "Do I look fat in this dress?" All of us know that your answer, no matter what it is, is a no win situation.

As said above. Don't ask the wife that question.

Jodi

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    At the moment I can only wonder what it must be like but the cynical side of me can only imagine her thinking he looks OK but WTF does he want to do if for ??
    Ha, yep, that's exactly what I'd be thinking Just as well my H doesn't ask me this, or dress around me any more. Doesn't matter how he looks - he's my husband for crying out loud. Such a discussion would leave me wondering if I'd finally lost my mind.

When Jenniferathome asks me, "What do you think of this outfit?" I tell her. Sometimes it looks like she is trying too hard to look young or trendy. This just makes women look pathetic. Nothing is worse than a 70 year old woman dressing like a teen-ager, it just brings attention to you for the wrong reasons. You do not have to look old, but at least try to look appropriate. You can wear the latest trends in the right way. This goes for GG's as well as crossdressers. This takes years for GG's to learn. It happens slowly through a lot of trial and error in our younger years. We all have seen pictures of ourselves in an outfit that makes us think "what was I thinking?" So if my husband wants to know what I think of an outfit, I tell him. How else will he learn? If he doesn't agree with me, he wears it anyway. When my children were young and dressing themselves in questionable outfits, I would always ask them "Do you feel good in that?". If the answer was "yes", off we would go- no judgement.
    WifeofJenniferathome
    P.S. Jenniferathome, proof read your posts! You have so many typos, spelling and grammatical errors (sorry the teacher in me is coming out)

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    .... of me can only imagine her thinking he looks OK but WTF does he want to do if for ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell-GG View Post
    Ha, yep, that's exactly what I'd be thinking
    Theresa and Tink, THAT question can't be asked because there is no answer. The question is a given, however. No cross dresser ever asked their knowing wife, "so how normal am I?" Fashion advice is just that.
    Last edited by Katey888; 06-23-2014 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Fixed quote box

I always hope for honesty when I ask someone to evaluate my experience. I hate, hate, hate insincere compliments. I don't dole them out, and I don't want to receive them. When I ask that question, I'm not fishing for good feelings - I want feedback. Even if the feedback isn't all positive, it doesn't have to be rude.
    "She ain't waiting 'til she gets older, her feet are makin' tracks in the winter snow.
    She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder, she be headed where the thunder rolls."

-Van Halen, "Secrets"

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post

No cross dresser ever asked their knowing wife, "so how normal am I?"
    Bahahaha!! Jennifer, thanks for the chuckle. I actually wish my H would ask me this question. What would my answer be, I wonder? (insert evil laugh)

And I love how your wife corrects your grammar here. What a cute couple you are...you seriously give me hope!
    Last edited by Tinkerbell-GG; 06-23-2014 at 03:29 AM.

Jesse is glad he has a bf that when he asks this question his bf loves it and compliments me