Thread: Had my own "Isha Moment" this past weekend, and still have mixed feelings about it..

Had my own "Isha Moment" this past weekend, and still have mixed feelings about it..

So here's the scenario - my wife was away overnight this past Friday to baby-sit our son's biological replacements , giving me free rein for some quality "Leslie" time which I took full advantage of. The malls were beckoning, the weather was perfect, and I had picked out just the right outfit to wear to blend in seamlessly (or so I thought). Granted, my make up was not quite up to my usual standard because the heat was doing a number on it and it was getting all cakey on me, but I still felt that it was perfectly adequate for an outing of the type that I was contemplating.

I must have done something right as I encountered numerous "ma'ams" as the day progressed. This included a stop for supper at a family-style East Side Mario's restaurant where I got no odd looks - not even from the male waiter who ended up being my server, and who treated me just like any other female customer.

But here's where it gets interesting...as the evening wore on, I wound up at the downtown Toronto Eaton Centre and eventually made my way over to a Browns Shoes store where a set of clearance racks near their entranceway sang their siren song to me. I succumbed without a struggle, and quickly made my way over to the middle one where my sizes were located.

Up to that point, none of the female patrons in the store had paid any attention to me, but as I rounded the end of the rack, I made eye contact with a young girl shopping with her mother. From all appearances, she was a pre-teen...probably 12 years old or so, and therefore likely old enough to start shopping for adult shoes as well. I immediately received the "deer in headlights" look from her, followed quickly by a laser-like "missile lock" stare, yet oddly enough, Mom was totally oblivious to any of this at the time.

Having made my way to the opposite side of the rack by that point, I was able to surreptitiously peer over the top shelf and witness her whispering to Mom in hushed tones and with a slight smile on her face while stealing another quick glance over my way. Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the gist of the comments here was either (1) "Don't look now, but isn't that a really mannish-looking woman over there?" or else (2) "OMG! I think that's a MAN!". To her credit, though, Mom didn't really look over towards me, and despite a small smile also appearing on her face, probably just told her demon seed to shush, and that it was not polite to stare. Mom was probably also aware that this was the start of 2014 World Pride Week in Toronto, so seeing a tranny in the middle of the Eaton Centre under these circumstances was likely not too much of a stretch in her mind.

All that said...I have mixed feelings about this encounter. We all know that for most of us, it is virtually impossible to "pass" at all times, and the best that we can hope for is to blend in. No wounded pride here as a result..."win some, lose some" I say, and all the "ma'am's" before that more than made up for this minor setback. Besides, it was getting late in the day, my make up was starting to fade, and likely some stubble was starting to show through depending on the angle at which I was being looked at. So in essence, I had no overwhelming issue in being read here in principle. But day-um, what specifically was it about me that tipped this kid off so quickly???

I guess what really p*sses me off here is being stared at so blatantly. Granted, this young girl was still a minor, and likely didn't have all the social "filters" yet that most adults possess. But staring so overtly and so shamelessly is just plain rude IMHO. Fixate the way she did if one has to - I get that...I probably would, too, especially if I unexpectedly saw a unicorn, a yeti, or a leprechaun - mythical creatures that are as rare to most people as a transgender person/crossdresser probably is to a "muggle". But at least, don't be so obvious about it, and do show some discretion when processing this visual.

There, I said it...rant over, and I feel so much better now...
    Last edited by Leslie Langford; 06-23-2014 at 03:15 PM.

In the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of VA
    I had the same thing happen but the girl in question was much older having just graduated from college. On Saturday evening I made it to the Dress Barn where I have been a regular there for the last 6 years and all the woman know me. Well the store was empty except for the Assistant Manager and the "new girl". As I started to look at the dresses near the entrance the new girl started walking towards me and right away turned back to go talk to her manager, the look on her face was priceless. Not sure what she was told but she came back and asked if I needed any help and we had a nice conversion and I just had to ask if I was the first Crossdresser she has had contact with. Well I was so her world has been opened up and she did compliment me on my appearance, makeup and nails. So I did buy a dress making it a great evening.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is too short dress whenever you can!

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Very interesting situations; thanks for sharing.

Lol that's kids for you, its no good getting all in a twist when they look at you or say daft stuff because they are just children, ive lost count the number of times i get looked at, though it usually comes from boys, i dont try and blend at all lol i wear what i wear because i like it, im not trying to look like a woman just a fem guy, little girls seem to like me i think its just the boldness of colors i wear so its very rare i get any trouble from them, boys tend to take the mic but just take it with a pinch of salt and carry on.

Dont take to heart sweet you will get this more so from kids because they dont really understand and thats why they say what they say, some of the stuff they say is quite funny though
    Last edited by CrossJess; 06-23-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Rant over. I wouldn't let that bother you any more than up to the posting this thread. Pre-teen, I would hope that they stare and try to understand by asking a trusted companion about everything that which is new to them when they encounter them, including different ethnicities, races, healthy or not. Otherwise, they may learn from their younger friends and that can be good or bad. She acted maturely by whispering to her Mom instead of doing what someone a couple of years younger might do by shouting out her perplexing question to her Mom for all around to hear. Her Mom acted maturely by not immediately looking up.

I personally like those opportunities for interaction with the young children. I always smile at them, not just the fist time but every time I catch them glancing after that. I have had nothing but good results, and of course I always act like a mature and caring adult, which I am in either mode.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Realistically Leslie, do you think you 'passed' at that point in time? You've given all the reasons why you didn't and makeup that has been on for many hours has to be high on the list. So a 12 year old stared and was curious with what she saw.

Any CDer that ventures out has to know that they will be picked and be comfortable dealing with it. A smile of acknowledgement usually disarms any potential consequence.

The frequent "mamms" that I receive (and my voice is a dead giveaway) really demonstrates that people are really quite aware and (at least) tolerant of difference. There is a 12 year old now that will have been educated too.

Hi Leslie,

I think the problem here is 12 year olds, they are just terrible! No manners, don't know when not to stare, they just haven't grown up much

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Isha, I had no idea that the moment of being clocked was named after you. However, now that I am aware I will offer my services to obtain a servicemark such that you have exclusive rights to the moment.

Leslie,
    If you really want to test your prowess, go to the mall and window shop amongst the teenage girls after school

About 3.30 to four would be appropriate.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Leslie. Yeah that is one thing that is a bit hard to take is the blatant stare . . . but like you, I mainly get that from young teens who are still not aware of what a "social filter" is. However you are right in that it does excuse the behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    ... I probably would, too, especially if I unexpectedly saw a unicorn, a yeti, or a leprechaun - mythical creatures that are as rare to most people as a transgender person/crossdresser probably is to a "muggle".
    Ah ha . . . you have hit on the answer to passing/blending. If I were to ride a unicorn through a mall "en femme" followed by a yeti and a leprechaun people would just ignore me . . . "Hey did you see the girl on the unicorn and what about that Yeti and Leprechaun?"

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Isha, I had no idea that the moment of being clocked was named after you. However, now that I am aware I will offer my services to obtain a servicemark such that you have exclusive rights to the moment.
    LOL

Hugs

Isha

Platinum Member
    And so it goes. You're right, Leslie, you win some, you lose some. But then again, there really wasn't a loss here.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Blame it all on Isha!!!!!!!

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Leslie,
    If you really want to test your prowess, go to the mall and window shop amongst the teenage girls after school

About 3.30 to four would be appropriate.
    Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt (O.K. - maybe not the T-shirt, but the camisole in my case ), Bev. But here's the thing - most of the time I don't even get a second look from these teens.

Then again, they usually travel in herds and are too busy texting each other, tweeting, or else checking out their facebook or Instagram statuses on their smartphones to be even minimally aware of their surroundings, so perhaps making this a moot point .

Gone to live my life
    Leslie, I agree. When I wind up in Starbucks after a long Isha day it is normally at the same time school lets out so it is wall to wall teens. For the most part I don't get a second look as they are too busy being teens. If they do look no real big angst on their part.

Banned Read only
    Leslie look at it the other way round, you'd passed pretty well up to then, with all the "ma'ams "you'd received ! Maybe you were passing better than you thought and that girl was staring out of uncertainty, she was perhaps paying you a complement ! The mother may have sussed you but wasn't making an issue of it ! And who knows she may have been shoe shopping for her husband !!

Hi Isha! - Thanks for the feedback, and I hope you don't mind that I co-opted your name to describe a phenomenon that you have already written about extensively, and which may now become inextricably linked to it the same way the name "Doppler" is associated with a particular type of radar, or "Heimlich" with the famous anti-choking manouevre.

That said, an article coincidentally appeared in today's issue of the Toronto Star entitled "Gaydar Works", and it makes the case that according to current reseach, a person's sexual orientation can be correctly percieved by others within 40 milliseconds of first laying eyes upon them, and with an accuracy of up to about 65%. The reseach is on-going into other related sexual and gender orientations, and will likely yield pretty much the same results when applied to the TG community.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...esearcher.html

Maybe the reasons why this 12 year-old "prodigy" was able to "clock" me so quickly and accurately lie somewhere within this growing body of reasearch...

Your shoe size was on the middle racks????
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Size 9 - 91/2 - 10, depending on the style and manufacturer. I'm one of the lucky ones in that respect, except...don't tell that to my credit cards!