Thread: Trust me on the sunscreen

Gone to live my life

Trust me on the sunscreen

Hi all.

This post is more of an add on to Patti Jean's "letter to my younger self". So rather than hijack that post I thought I would create a new one to dispense some advice for CDers with a bit of fun building on Baz Luhrmann's "Everyone is free to wear sunscreen" with a CD theme. Hope you enjoy.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…I will dispense this advice now.

If you are just starting out enjoy the power and beauty of your youth and its ability to allow you the latitude to pass/blend or just enjoy being out. Oh never mind, you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded and you find yourself looking back at photos and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked.

Don’t worry about what people think but if you choose to worry, know that worrying is as effective as trying to hide five o'clock shadow without the benefit of a sharp razor, a good beard cover and foundation.

The real troubles in your journey are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind. The kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday when you realize your make-up is failing and you still have to take the bus home from downtown during rush hour.

Do one thing every day that makes you feel good.

Talk in a femme voice and if you still sound like a guy, who cares

Don’t be reckless with your SO's feelings or the feelings of family and friends. Don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Moisturize it is good for your skin

Don’t waste your time on jealousy of those who make prettier girls or those who get out. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself.

Remember the compliments you receive and forget the insults.

Keep your old dresses because you never know when the might come back in style.

Store .. . don't purge

You may discover yourself at 17 but then again some may not know until they are 47. The important thing is accepting yourself once you get there.

Be kind to your knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone. Especially if you plan to wear heels past 40.

Maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll have children, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, make the most of your life because it is the only one you have.

Enjoy your body, use your strengths to offset your weaknesses. Don’t be afraid of it, or what other people
    think of your presentation, it is your body to do with as you please.

Dance…even if it is only in the privacy of your basement.

Read the directions on home laser hair removal machines to not do so would be bad.

Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly.

Accept certain inalienable truths if you decide to go out for nobody truly passes. Some people will laugh others will point and some won't care. Own the moment and act like you belong or you will look out of place. Maintain a healthy sense of caution as it will go a long way in ensuring you can enjoy yourself

Don’t expect everyone to support you. Understand that friends come and go, but hold on to those who can truly accept who you are for they are a precious few.

Don’t get nostalgic for thinning hair that is what wigs are for.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen…

Hugs

Isha
    Last edited by Marcelle; 06-24-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Isha, thanks for another though provoking post!! I can agree with what you have written and I think that in general that is how I have conducted my life.

I think back over 70 plus years and sometimes wonder what things would be like now if I had done x instead of y, but, I made those decisions because they seemed to be the right ones at the time. I can't take them back now, so why should I worry about it now. I could have made more money if I had made other decisions, but you know what, I have been happy in my chosen profession, I've had enough money to do a lot of fun things. The memory of those experiences does't have a dollar value to me.

Its kind of like the Master Card commercial, there are things that are priceless.

I'm happy with me, I'm happy with my past, I love my family, what more could I want?

My 2 cents.

BTW I think we need a definition of an "Isha Moment" so that we don't use the term incorrectly!!

Hugs, Bria

Thanks Isha. You provoked me into looking up Baz Luhrmann's original! Enjoyed both it and your version!

My SO, who has been scrupulous about sunscreen and careful about exposure to the sun all her adult life, had a basal skin carcinoma removed this morning as a result of not using sunscreen when she was a child and young woman. The dermatologist complimented her on the beauty of her skin, and, really, she does have fabulous skin, but she nevertheless had to take the knife to her. Fortunately the type of cancer she got is not malignant so she will be fine.

Use sunscreen. Wear a hat. Wear a shirt, preferably one protective against the sun. Getting a tan is not worth skin cancer. Plus just routine exposure to the sun really ruins your skin when you grow older. It isn't quite as bad as smoking but unless you really really want wrinkles, just avoid the sun. Finally, please use sunscreens that contain zinc or titanium dioxide, avobenzone or mexoryl. Do not use the sunscreens that contain oxybenzone, octinoxate, or homosalate. These are all hormone disruptors and are a nasty form of recent chemical trickery, courtesy of your friendly pharmaceuticals. If you want more on safe sunscreens try http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/the...reen-chemicals. Read your labels!

Nice one!

The penultimate para is the pithy one for me...

And the original didn't need much reworking to customise it for us, either... good quality plagiarism shines through...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I can only second the advise. Going in next week to have another basal skin carcinoma removed. The sins of my youth.

Platinum Member
    absolutely true, entirely, especially the sunscreen!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I've never really bothered about sunscreen except perhaps in the past, on holidays abroad with parents and so on. When it's hot
    and I go out in summer clothes, do get very burnt! Possibly a bad idea.
    Last edited by TessaGirl; 06-25-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Banned Read only
    Isha I have a vision of you now sitting cross legged outside your teepee dispensing words of wisdom and waving at the SUN GOD with a peace pipe in one hand and a bottle of suncream in the other !!

Peace to mankind especially ones in very fetching outfits !!!

If you live in the hot bright sun and look like a red skin occasionally, you soon learn.
    The quicker the better.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

My mom had very dark skin color. I inherited that from her I never have used a sun screen and have been out in the sun all my life. Now at the age of 65 I am having all the little brown places cut off my back, legs and my face. I have been lucky and still have not had any to be cancerous but I have started wishing I would have taken better care of my skin at an early age. Back then it was not the in thing to do. The macho thing was to not wear sun screen. My wife has had a big scar running down her chest that looks like she has had a heart transplant just because she had a growth come up at the top of her old bikini top line. She had a cancer removed and thank God they got it all before it spread. Isha very well written and thank you for reminding us all to take better care of the sin. We all polish and wax the automobile body to keep it shing and protected but too many fail to keep their own skin from the damage of the the sun.

nice post as always Isha ,be true to yourself that 's the only person you can be

Roxie