Thread: First Steps Out

First Steps Out

Today after coming out to all my friends and family two months ago, I took some baby steps and went to my Therapist dressed in just comfortable womens clothing. Nice jeans, a Husker top with lacy shoulders and my wedge open toed sandals with minimal makeup. I walked in and the 2 receptionists greeted me as normal and everything went as normal. I got a few looks but I was doing this to be myself so i just remembered reading other threads with people saying noone really cares unless your going out of your way to gain attention which i wasn't. Felt really good today and even the drive there and back wasn't so hard. I know i hadn't done the full wig and makeup yet but still getting help in that area. Just had to finally take those first steps out for myself.

Thank you for listening, had to share with those who with their own stories helped me get this far.

Tina

It's a step towards honesty with yourself, and your therapist - those aren't baby steps.

Good for you Tina!

If you're feeling better about yourself already then that is definitely a Good Thing!

Sounds like a good, positive approach...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

congrats! not so small those steps but they will get smaller when you realize that no one cares more about how you look than yourself.

That's so cool! My therapist has said I could come dressed, but I don't have the nerve yet.

I have to find a place to go to work on figuring out my colors for makeup and i'm still looking for work but i have an interview tomorrow for a receptionist job at a medical place so crossing my fingers.. Going thru replacing all my wigs, forms, clothing etc and money would help with that lol.. thank you for all the kind responses people here have been wonderful and the support is immense and i want you all to know that even the little things people have said help me thru each day coming out of my cocoon to be the real me.

Tina

Good for you Tina, I wish I had more courage about going out in public and not caring what people think of what I am wearing. I finally have worn some women's jeans out in public, but that is it.

Also it is nice to see another gurl from Nebraska.

Congratulations. It sounds like just one of many steps on your journey that will hopefully get easier. All the best.

Platinum Member
    Good for you. Those first steps are the most difficult.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Tina
    I am so happy for you because I know how those first steps feel! Keep going and don't let anything stop you. Don't feel alone, there are many of us on the same journey. I almost always see my therapist as Suzanne. It is amazing how right it feels now. I wish the best for you!
    Hugs
    Suzanne

That's great and I applaud your courage. Hope it all worksl out.

Tina,
    it probably will help with your relationship with your therapist.
    I do hope so.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thanks Again for all the support hope you all have a fabulous day today.

Tina

Wife and I are going through counseling, unrelated to my CD. In anticipation of possible vindictive outing, I preemptively outed myself on my terms to the counselor. Got the usual questions, plus a handful of others to gauge where on the spectrum I fall. I cannot help but muse if I'll attend a session as Marcy. Unlikely as it is not moot to the issue, still.... opportunities are what you make of them.

Banned Read only
    Learn the dance girls. One step forward, two steps back, shake the booty to the left, shake the booty to the right.

Lol thank you for the Jorja On a positive note I got the Secretary job at a clinic here in town today..

Tina

Banned Read only
    See what shakin' that booty does for you!

Good job, now be the best secretary they have ever had.

So, I guess congratulations are indeed in order.

I just came on here to point out that seeing a therapist when dealing with our trans* natures is always a good thing. You can sort out your feelings and work out a plan to get where you want to be in all of this.

Even more, I came to say that going to a therapist is a great way to take your first steps into the real world. The very first time I entered into the world and engaged with other people in full femme gear was at a therapy session. My experience was much like yours and very positive. What's more, I had a great excuse to be out dressed - I'm going to a therapise. I also had my therapist there to talk about the feelings, fears, concerns, and emotions in a safe place where I had help with the overwhelming thoughts and feelings I was experiencing. Overall, I highly recommend this as a way to take your first steps.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

Platinum Member
    Hi Tina, Each time that you go out it will get easier and feel much more natural.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Tina . . . CONGRATS! The first steps out are always the hardest but as you discovered no real issues.

Hugs

Isha

Hi Tina,
    I've been fascinated with women's costumerie since I was like 6 or 7. I've been dressing in one form or another most of my life. I go out dressed,I would say,fairly often. You deserve apreciation for what you did.

hugs,Samantha