Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of us over 60, how many of us would have transitioned if born in the 80s?

For those of us over 60, how many of us would have transitioned if born in the 80s?

As, I think many of us, I yearned to have been a girl while growing up in the 1950s - actually, from about age 4 on. Of course, I knew nothing of transgenderism or GID and my parents were old-school British. There was no opportunity to become the first Kim Petras, that's for sure. There was high school, college, Army, marriage and a career as an attorney. However, my GID remains undiminished and I often wonder if I had been born in the 80s, would I have transitioned, or stayed as I am now - reasonably content in my role, but still feeling somewhat unfulfilled/unfinished. I believe if I were born 25 years ago I would have gone for it while still in my teens and by my early 20s would have joined the other team.

This question is aimed at those of us for whom time and the opportunity never happened. Would you have taken the plunge and, perhaps, sacrificed your family, childhood friends and probably the chance to have your own children, in pursuit of the dream? How important would that have been in your life?
    Last edited by Jeninus; 06-28-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    Shame on those who think ill of us -- Translated and paraphrased from the motto of the United Kingdom's Most Noble Order of the Garter

Banned Read only
    At last something I qualify for, the over sixties !
    Whenever I was born I wouldn't want to change, whatever sex you're born as there must be good times and bad, and somewhere along the line the thought may have been there that the grass might have been greener !!

Nope. I just like the clothes and dress.

Jodi

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post

Jodi
    Same here! Also like to create characters I am dressed at as well.

But that's all.

I agree with the ladies who posted above. I love presenting as a woman, but I am also happy as a man.

I'd have to say that being born 30 years later would have made a difference. I would have been more apt to come out as a CD, not a TS.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

No

Hugs, Bria

Deep subject

This topic comes up once in a while and it really makes me wish I was born in this day of information! I would have made much more informed choices in my life and not gone through the misery of denying who and what I am. Transition? Maybe...not a lot one can do with a frame as large as mine!
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Not a viewpoint that is always acceptable around here, but I sometimes fantasize about being a totally straight male in a beautiful female body - with the exception of genitals. I doubt if being born in the 80s would have changed me enough to go through that process, though. (I would love to look like Misty May, with my male apparatus intact!)

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Good question Jeninus. I don't spend much time wondering about hypotheticals but I have thought about that on occasion and the answer is that I don't really know but I know that I would have seriously considered it. As you say, the life context of the 80's is so completely different than the 50's.
    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

I would certainly consider it, but in the long run, it is very unlikely.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

No I wouldn't have. I might be more along in dressing though as it is more acceptable now with the younger generation.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    All else being equil, I need both of my gendered selves. I only wish I had larger blocks of time in each gender.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Have never wanted to be female - even now. Thankfully I was blissfully ignorant of liking dressing through my children's dependency period so life remained less complicated.

This question assumes that you are transsexual and not CD. So answers from CDs will be "no".
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Well I'm not yet sixty, but I'm close. I turn 58 in a couple of months, so I think I'm close enough to chime in. At one time I had serious thoughts of transitioning. They started when I was around 15 or 16. Then I would forget about it for a while,then something would happen that would start me thinking about it again. That went on for years until I met my wife. I haven't thought about transitioning since. I like the way things are. I enjoy the dressing, having a wife who approves and encourages it. I like my life the way it is.

No, the thoughts had entered my mind in the past but I would have never gone through with it. I guess I just love the clothes and the way they make me feel. I'm 66 !!!

Lacelover

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeninus View Post
    As, I think many of us, I yearned to have been a girl while growing up in the 1950s - actually, from about age 4 on.
    Pretty much when I knew what I preferred as well, but even at that tender age, I accepted the realization that the die had been cast at birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeninus
    Would you have taken the plunge and, perhaps, sacrificed your family, childhood friends and probably the chance to have your own children, in pursuit of the dream?
    Given what I knew then, as I know now as well, I was born male. I adored girls as a boy, and women as a man. I find them extremely attractive and desirable, and although I wished I was one, I knew it wasn't in the cards to have been one.

So my answer would have to be... No.

As to Lorileah's presumption regarding transsexuality versus crossdressing being the determining factor... I'd like to gently remind her that gender identity might well be another perspective to be considered.

Often wondered but still happier as a man most of the time, just like to get dressed up and present as female from time to time. In the late-70's when I really started CDing, I tried psychiatric treatment to try and understand what was happening but understanding of CDing was not good in the medical profession (is it any better now one asks - perhaps a little more tolerant but even those who CD still don't understand why it happened to THEM and it is something that you have to live with, and deal with primarily yourself). So, my SO and I just carried on as best we could. Been some difficult times between us but my SO now helps me to dress better. Now getting wrinkly, the only thing I look back on is that I wished I could have been a bit more open and dressed more tastefully and of my age instead of, as she puts it, as an old maid which used to totally put her off... Now I hope I dress nicely but the body isn't what it was. Still don't think I would have transitioned, too many 'man things' that I like doing which I don't believe would have been acceptable in the circles I move in either then or now. Plus I have a good wife and I would have lost her and my family, that would have been too much of a sacrifice.

Polly
    On a journey from here to there. Mostly here but sometimes there....

without a doubt!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    This question assumes that you are transsexual and not CD. So answers from CDs will be "no".
    Exactly! Even a GG can see this. The other side would be - 'for those living now, in the modern generation, do you feel more pressure to transition because it's more acceptable??'

Again, if you're a CD you'll say 'no'. TS isn't a choice. It's innate. Time is surely irrelevant.

Early fifties here. I'm not sure, but I think I might have. Having recently begun to accept me for what I am, I have really enjoyed my femme moments. I likely would not have stayed in the closet.

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post

Jodi
    ibid... same here definitely

I don't think I would have transitioned but I would have come out and been myself much sooner. I'm 60 now and do wish society had been more tolerant when I was growing up. I spent way too many years deep in the closet and feeling guilty because I wasn't what society expected of a man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm in my mid sixties and love life just the way it is. I just love dressing and acting the female parts but I like my male self also. I have some beautiful Grandkids and wouldn't change anything. My wife accepts and I am at peace with my life. I just simple enjoy dressing to the top from time to time. No transition for me. Now new taller heels maybe....