Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I met a girl yesterday

I met a girl yesterday

So like most of us, I imagine, I have met and become friends with a lot of girls here and on a couple of other boards. Recently, I made the acquaintance of a mid twenties transwoman. We were chatting a little and I learned she was broke and had no ride to get bloodwork done, and without it could not get her scrip for her HRT meds.
    Yes I know this is the CD board, but stay with me.
    Being always the soft heart, I offered to drive her. Her house isn't too far from my office. So yesterday, after work and in drab, I drove over there. The house turned out to be in a pretty rough neighborhood in Detroit. Not the worst, but pretty rough. I pulled up in front of a run down place with stuff all over the front yard and a broken down pickup in the drive apparently dead.
    She came shyly out and got into the car. As we drove I discovered she had no family here and no job. She had come from somewhere down south having escaped a bad scene at home and a very unsupportive local environment. She wore clothing that had seen better days, and her nail polish was chipped, but she radiated femininity and smiled and laughed easily. I learned she liked music and anime and hoped to visit London one day. I also learned that she had made a couple of mistakes here and there, like all of us. And that she had been homeless for nearly a year, sleeping on the ground in the woods near a local college. Her situation now was one that gave her a couch to sleep on.
    We took her for her tests, and I drove her back. She thanked me and went inside.
    Never once did she say anything about feeling sorry for herself. Never once did she complain. Instead, she was simply happy as can be to be getting her bloodwork done. She exuded pride about being trans, and did so happily and with a charming and pretty smile.
    I share this for perspective.
    I know I am plenty guilty of this myself, but so often I know we all get caught up in worrying about our own problems...getting our spouse to accept us, grousing when they dont, worrying about going out dressed, how we look, what others will think..etc...and I think we forget how very lucky so many of us are. Roofs over our heads, food to eat, friends (online at least), clothing to wear (enough for two people usually lol).
    We have it pretty good, most of us do.
    I dont know about you, but I will be remembering that a lot more clearly now.
    Hugs and Happt 4th of July
    Sammie
    Every fear that held me back, when faced, has proven to be hollow.
    Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to ignore it.
    It's your life. Make it count.

Sammie, this is a great story that does offer quite a bit of perspective. We do often forget about blessings in our lives when we get hung up on our problems. Sounds like you made her day and then some.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    It is easy to forget how good we have it when we think we don't.

I have always found out that when you think you have it so bad you will find or read about someone who is a lot worse off than you are.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Thank you for sharing that.
    I think of things and feel blessed when I'm running a fever, feeling ill; such as knowing they're people with terminal illnesses and cancer that would give anything to trade their illness for a measly fever.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Amen...

thank you Sammie for sharing both your story and your time for someone in need...

happy 4th to all of you here.

Well said Sammie. There's absolutely no doubt that interacting with someone who's getting it tougher than us can give us perspective - if we are open enough to accept it. Unfortunately many of those who most need such perspective seem to be to busy creating mountains out of molehills to have even noticed that there's someone else needing a little help!
    Well done you, for going out of your way to help.
    Judith

And yes, happy 4th July to all you folks in our lost colony
    Last edited by Judith96a; 07-04-2014 at 11:21 AM.

We living in the USA are sometimes condemned because we are called the fat cats and the land of opportunity. We all need to set back when we are troubled and remember that life in some countries are not a given. We need to be more thankful for our freedoms here. My dad and five of his brothers fought in WWII and all six came back alive. Dad used to tell me to not be so concerned about what you have or what you don't but be concerned about at what price it took to get where this country is at. When I was right out of high school a small war was going on called Viet Nam and many of my high school friends died there. Please let Samantha's story be a blessing to each of us that we need to be more giving and helpful of others in our life. I really think that the CD part of us would be recognized as accepted more if we had a giving and helping others theme in our background. Maybe even looked upon with more pride and acceptance. Thank you Samantha for your good deed. It speaks for many that we as CDs n TS are humans inside and are not the weird old guy next door that loves to dress. I guess I will end with Love your neighbor as yourself type of attitude.

Good post thanks for sharing

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Thanks for reminding us we shouldn't take all we have for granted ...

Thank for the post as well

Sammie,
    It is nice to remind us that we don't all have it so good.

I hope you have made a lasting friend.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Good on you, Sammie. And it's a great point to make, for most of us our lives are pretty darn good. Sometimes when we are feeling that things just aren't going our way we need that perspective of what others manage to cope with all day, every day.

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    Sammie, You should have been a nurse. You have all the right stuff that you can not teach in any course. You are very special and I am proud to count you as a friend.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Sammie . . . what a great example of the kindness of human spirit you have provided and in the process remind us here that when we think things are bad because someone looks oddly at us or we don't get a chance to dress . . . there are others who have problems far worse than some of ours. You are an inspiration sweetie.

Hugs

Isha

Just being true to myself Jolene Robertson's Avatar
    Hi Sammie,

Great story. It makes us all better people to help someone once in a while. Just remember your state Motto.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice" which is Latin for "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you."

It does help keep things in prospective.

Hugs
    Jolene

Great story!
    Thanks for reminding us, we should be grateful for the people in our lives.

Great post! Are you going to continue to try to help this young lady? Im sure you could get some of your friends on here to donate a piece of clothing in her size or a bottle of nail polish or a pair of shoes! Mc Donalds doesnt cost much and Im sure she would enjoy the meal and the company of someone!

Aspiring Member Dana does shopping's Avatar
    Kindness is its own reward!

Always Stephanie Now! Stephanie Sometimes's Avatar
    Hi Sammie,

Great story and nice of you to share it for “perspective” on our country’s birthday. It’s good to keep that perspective when we think we are having a bad day or dealing with life’s problems.
    Thanks Sammie.
    Hugs,
    Steph
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller (The Open Door)

"I give her my heart but she wanted my soul...But don't think twice, it's all right" Bob Dylan (1963)

Sammie -you are a beautiful and generous person.

The world is better for you being here... may that continue a long, long time...

Have a great 4th July everyone..

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Sammie, what you did is a wonderful thing, A simple thing for you.
    means so much to someone else. You are right, it is easy to get wrapped up in your own little problems
    and totally miss the valuable things in life that would mean so much to another person. The things that we
    take for granted every day
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

You both sound amazing I wish I had friends close by I could talk to

Thanks for the story.. and putting a bit of perspective and relativity to our lives!
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

You are a good person for making the effort to help her. I feel that for every privileged transitioner,there are ten just like your friend... Struggling and needing help,yet happy just to be making progress.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !