There are two threads open now that deal with hatefulness. And there seem to be two camps...of course, aren't there always. One side says walk away, laugh it off, choose your battles. The other says face up to the haters.

I'm reminded of the civil rights movement. Black people had taken the course of least resistance through decades, centuries,really. Nothing changed. Then , returning from WWII, black people began to strongly insist on their rights. From Rosa Parks to MLK, the movement was peaceful, but assertive. And they were met with horrendous violence at times. But in the end, fundamental changes occurred. It's imperfect and Incomplete, but change happened. Imagine the courage required.

I believe that the strive for human dignity for all minorities has been advanced as a result. Lesson... Just ignoring hatred may be the safe short term path, and I don't minimize the value of self preservation. But, sustained, assertive, non violent confrontation ...facing up to the bigoted, as the civil rights movement demonstrated, will eventually lead to change.