Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDing in "the golden years"

CDing in "the golden years"

Many of us here are of retirement age, the so called "golden years". How has retirement affected your CDing? I've come to the point where I don't really need it to be myself or feel happy and it's always a choice for me of whether to do it or not. I don't feel rushed or pressured when I dress and just enjoy doing it since I also consider it an art form. Someone told me once that a sculptor just brings out the piece of art that is already in a stone and their creativity is what hones and modifies it to form. This is kind of how I view CDing myself and I value very much being able to express myself this way Every time I dress up is a unique experience in it's own right with respect to creativity. For those out there of retirement age, how do you feel your CDing will be affected once you say goodbye to the work force?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I guess the answer may depend on the individual and what they think of as the golden years. Personally I have always thought of middle age as 2 years older than I am. Started thinking that way back in my 30's and here I am 62 and still feel the same way!

I "retired" 3 years ago when I sold my business so I could move back and help with my mother as she has Alzheimer's. Over that time my life has evolved to the point where I can't remember the last time I wore male drab! Not interested in going all the way but I am fascinated with the thought of having breasts so who knows where it eventually leads. I am fortunate in my sister, my only close family left, actually prefers t having a sister to a brother. She has known for years but after I moved back and she really got to know Trudy she says I am a much nicer person en femme.

IO don't know about others but retirement has certainly allowed me to express my feminine side a lot more!

Platinum Member
    I'm not quite ready to hang up the saddle, but I have gained a measure of freedom by consulting. It has allowed me to work my own schedule, and often, to work from home. I find that the added opportunity has made a difference. The more I dress, the more I want to. In that sense it has helped reveal to me that, for me, this is a very important part of who I am. And when I fully retire, I suspect I will live a much larger part of my life as a woman.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

From what I gather, the "golden years" is generally defined as age 65 and above. Even though I've been enjoying them since I accepted the early retirement package at age 55.

My golden years were when I was twenty, I think I am approaching my silver years, gee! I don't want to go platinum.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

One of the benefits of being retired is that I do not have to worry about my employment situation if my CDing were to become known. This eliminates one of the causes of concern that one might have.
    Hugs, Carole

I'm 66 and I have been retired almost 10 year. I love living attired as a lady 24/7, living alone offers me all the freedom that I need to live the way that I desire.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I don't think, for me, the work force has much to do with it. I'm not quite ready to retire yet, but now that my kids are grown and starting to move away, I do find more opportunities to dress. Maybe when (if ???)I retire I can be in the 24/7 group.
    Stephanie

Yes, this is really me! shayleetv's Avatar
    In a bedroom community outside Salt Lake City, Utah.
    Retirement has actually increased my crossdressing. I never wore a nightgown or girl jammies, but now I wear girl night clothes to bed every night. My wife still works and it gives me more time to get my self ready to be Shaylee. I never have had so much fun.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your troubles, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

It will be fun to go shopping for a grey wig!

Now that work is a four letter word, there is more time to dress whenever I wish because there is also spousal understanding and acceptance. With all that freedom, I am somewhat like you Kate, in that it becomes a choice that is not rushed but enjoyed. Sort of like choosing between a glass of wine or a nip of bourbon for the adult afternoon libation.

I, too, am only a few years from retirement and look forward to not having to worry about the affect at work if outed. I will definitely dress more, probably some on most days, as I love going out shopping, birdwatching, to museums, etc en femme. I also want to take my boat out en femme - easier during the week when retired, as unlikely to see others who know my un-alter(ed) ego drab self, but are unaware of Rhonda.

I pretty much underdress every day now, and find some comfort in that while at work. I'm probably in the group of this age who, if we'd known in our teen years what we know now, and had the transition services available then that we have now, would have transitioned in a New York second, and never looked back.

Best to all,
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Platinum Member
    Hi Kate, Five and a half years into retirement I now get up and dress pretty instead of dressing in drab blue work clothes.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Darling View Post
    I'm probably in the group of this age who, if we'd known in our teen years what we know now, and had the transition services available then that we have now, would have transitioned in a New York second, and never looked back.

Best to all,
    Rhonda
    I may not have transitioned, but my life would have been more accommodating to Lauren, that's for sure. We need a "CTRL+Z" for life.

5 years retired, 24/7 at home; mostly because it's most comfortable.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Aspiring Member
    I turned sixty back in June and had thought it was time to give it up, that hasn't happen I probably have dressed more in the last month then I did last year. As of now I don't see that happening as I have placed several orders for more clothes and a couple of new wigs.
    I think my subconscious knows something that I can't admit to myself that my feminine self has come alive and is planning on going out and enjoying herself.

Aspiring Member
    I've been retired for twelve years but only acknowledged my crossdressing when I joined this forum two years ago. Nice not to have to worry about being outed at work, however I still have friends around who live in the dark ages so I keep my 'activities' to myself.

As far as the "golden years", a lady friend of my vintage had this to offer: "The only thing golden about golden age is the color or your pee, and that if you're lucky".

So far, I'm one of the lucky ones.

Ineke

I find I can do little things more often, like underdressing. But still don't have the opportunity to dress very often. But the older I get the more pure joy I get out of becoming Anne. It just feels so good.

Banned Read only
    I've been retired six plus years. My wife still works, although she is off every summer. When I was first retired, it was as if a kid was let lose in a toy store. I dressed everyday and it really put a crimp in my desire to do anything else. When my wife visited our child in the mid West for seven to ten days I had the opportunity to dress 24/7. I even took long evening strolls en femme in a residential neighborhood. Now? It seems I have to force myself to dress. I've lost the desire. There seems to be no "need" to it. It has a lower priority. The decrease in desire may be due to an increase in back pain. Back pain seems to damper the spirit to do much anyway.

Much of my cross dressing was for stress relief. Now that I am retired and financial well off I do not need to seek job related stress relief. My war related PTSD is under control, so my desire to hide from my maleness has diminished. My mother passed away several months ago. She use to express to me when I was really young that I was "suppose to be a girl." I wonder with her passing if I do not subconsciously need to seek her approval of me by dressing as a female?

Anyway, right now I do not feel the need to be en femme to express who I am.

Banned Read only
    Kate you are the envious position of dressing when you choose ! I don't wish to dress 24/7 but would like the option to do it when I choose ! I don't see as an art form but it does help me when I'm trying to paint a work of art !
    I do have a self portrait dressed so perhaps I am a work of art !
    Letting go of my business has been hard because I've still to part with most of my equipment !!

Teresa when I was offered the early retirement package from my company 12 years ago, I took the opportunity and ran with it, especially keeping my medical benefits.Seems that my entire life has lead up to this point and all the experiences I've had either positive or negative I have learned to make work for me. Now I am in a better position to help others in an altruistic way. If I can help at least one person in a positive direction I will have accomplished my goal. Otherwise I have no expectations and my one rule for friendship is to always be yourself. True friends are like gold and I feel especially blessed in these my retirement years.

Gold Member
    I retired 7 years ago, and you call the Golden years are for me the Aches and pain years.
    At lease I can wear support hose and have a good reason for wearing them.
    My dressing has increased a lot, mostly because I do not have to go to work.
    Rader

I was forced into an early retirement 12 years ago. I was mad about it for a long time. finally I was able to let it go.
    My wife retired in May and we are in our rv in northen New Mexico this evening heading west or where ever .

I have always dressed androgynously and this trip is no exception. The wife is more accepting and less stressed. Last night we were in Kmart and she was telling me that this top would look good on me. Alas, the only problem is our closet space is limited and I'll be darned if I am going to waste it on a top from Kmart. LOSS

Kate, I also took early retirement at 55. Now I just work a couple of days at the weekend, just because I want to. Having more time on my hands has seen and increase in the opportunities to dress, and I take them, with a little too much enthusiasm. I'm hoping I'll chill out a bit and stop feeling the need to dive in at every opportunity. I think I'm somehow trying to make up for opportunities lost, or banking a credit for when Alzheimer's hits and I just forget to do it.
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

I will never retire, but I am an artist and have been for nearly 40 years and I cannot imagine not producing art. Anyway I doubt I could afford to retire on the pittance granted by the government. But, because I have not had a boss for very many years or worked for a company except my own I have not had the restrictions that many of you seem to have suffered. Even so I do agree that after 60 I became even less interested in what anyone else thought and certainly over the last few years intent on making sure that whatever I did increased my own happiness and that of those around me. I certainly identify with the idea that life should be one's own personal work of art. I want my life to be a pleasant, sensual and graceful experience and I certainly try to use the skills I have developed as an artist to accomplish this.