Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Age appropriate dressing?

Banned Read only

Question Age appropriate dressing?

Ladies, Is your look age-appropriate? When dressed do you aim for older or younger? I have seen here in Ottawa many dressers in their forties trying to look 25 and it just looks stupid. That said, I've had some stylists do my hair and it makes me look ten years older than I am and I end up brushing it out a bit in the ladies' room.
    So are you concerned with looking age-appropriate. Do you look and dress as a woman of your real age?

Gone to live my life
    Hi Ophelia,

That is a hard one to answer . . . Specifically, what is age appropriate? I am just shy of the big 50 and for the most part dress conservatively (jeans, tops, sandals sweater or skirt/top or a dress - maxi for the most part) Now I have seen women in their 20s dressed similarly so I am not sure if I am emulating a younger woman or just they (young women) can wear whatever they choose. However, while I may wear skinny jeans, suffice it to say, I won't be sporting any crop tops or micro mini skirts if that is what you mean. I would say I dress to blend and believe that age appropriate dressing is really a matter of how you feel and what makes you happy.

Hugs

Isha
    Last edited by Marcelle; 07-27-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Platinum Member
    Yes, I want to be age appropriate, but what's acceptable for a fit and attractive woman at 40 can also be acceptable for a woman of 50 or 60 and beyond.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I just turned 61, but en femme I HOPE I read more like 50. I agree with Isha that I'm not doing any miniskirts or crop tops. Blending is my goal. I don't think even in my way younger years I was ever going to look sexy. I'm settling for cute from my wife right now.

In my opinion, all people should dress in a way that makes them comfortable.

Remember, this *IS* a forum where we talk about wearing unconventional apparel.

Best wishes
    MsVal

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Age appropriate, body shape compatible, coordinated colour and style, weather/season suitable, accessorized, makeup just right... Someone should have told me it would be this hard. Is there a manual???

I probably dress a bit conservative for someone in their late 20's; lots of dark office clothes and such. I've been meaning to play around with some more age appropriate styles that I might be able to pull off.

Aspiring Member
    If I were to dress age appropriate, I'd have to put on a granny dress, a short grey wig that would look like I'm wearing a dead cat on my head, and sport a cane. Advantage - as Julie Gaum mentioned, in granny mode one could go out and about and no one would give you a second glance.

T'ain't going to happen. If and when I venture forth it will be in a nice top, a medium long skirt, and nice shiny long hair to cover the tape hiding my ample turkey wobble.

Some years ago I met a delightful couple, he 85, she mid 70's (he called her his child bride). They acted like two young lovers. She was not pretty, a bit worn face and she looked her age. But she had her long grey hair in two braids, wore sporty clothes and had such a wonderful and delightful personality that she was beautiful and looked young. She would be my inspiration.

Ineke

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    When Tina is home, she has a range of dress. The problem with presenting in public in dress that is obviously outside of the local norms, be it age or any other norm, is that it attracts a second or third look. It's hard enough putting across a coherent feminine presence with clothes that match local norms, so staying "appropriate" is always on my mind.

I always do my best to look good, but I have to live with the reality that I'm no longer smooth-skinned and my body has a few curves that I'm not proud of. I have a few things that are probably a bit "younger" than I am, but I save those for CDing events where they are appropriate. Horses for courses.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    Isha's got it right. Micro mini's and fishnets don't sell so well in public with someone entering their sixth decade. So I'm fifty plus, and most would say that I don't look it in guy mode. I think I'm passing better shooting for 45 as a lady. I think age-appropriate goes within a ten years range? I think what really looks out of whack is some wigs I've seen dressers in. Really, how many good looking GG's in their forties or fifties do you see with perfect, shiny real hair past their shoulders? My favorite make-up hair team in Kingston, Ontario (Serenity Spa..totally excellent and cool) mentioned that I could dress a little younger..One in Ottawa, "It's a Wrap"...got it just age-right with the makeup.
    Some GG's make the mistake of not updating their look with time, keeping hairstyles and fashions way past their best before dates. I think it's something we should consider if we want to pass well.
    That said, I recently tried on a black "band-aid" mini skirt with a flowery chiffon blousy thing and it totally rocked! (Felt pretty good to with stretch on the bottom and total freedom on the top)
    Last edited by ophelia; 07-27-2014 at 10:46 PM.

No, I do not dress age appropriate. I dress the way I like, which is probably 35 years younger than I am. If others don't like it they can kiss my padded butt.
    Cara

Who dresses for the public? Women ...Perhaps? I do not I dress for myself only and have no urge to be seen in public..I have to get a image of looking sexy and that would be a magnet for the public's eyes. i understand that.. But why dress if I can't look sexy
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Banned Read only
    When I go out in public "dressed", I am in no way trying to imitate or "pass" as a female of any age. I wear whatever I want regardless of what age female would be most likely to wear something similar.

How else is JD Public going to learn anything?

Silver Member
    Age-appropriate? A subjective and perhaps judgmental term.

Dress the way you want to dress.

if and when i do get out i usually dress casual , jeans , bra & forms , simple top, sandals,hair in a pony tail, earrings. try not to draw attention and go about my business.
    LIFE is GOOD then

I wear what a like if it looks good on me (clothing tends to be colorful, modest, and comfortable)

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I'm fully aware of what it takes to "pass" these days. Pretty much frumpy. I'm a classy old broad with a killer wardrobe and a ton of self confidence. Of course I dress age appropriate. Just tell me what age I am and I'll show you all the style you can handle. Check out my Flickr site then you tell me how appropriate I am!

Depends on my mood at the time.When I'm blonde Barbie,I dress younger than I am.After all,nobody sees it but me.When I'm redhead Barbara,as I am right now,I dress more age appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    Age-appropriate? A subjective and perhaps judgmental term.
    Dress the way you want to dress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cara Lacey View Post
    No, I do not dress age appropriate. I dress the way I like, which is probably 35 years younger than I am. If others don't like it they can kiss my padded butt.
    Heather, Cara - YES! Let's actively keep the judgments down... and why...?

Quote Originally Posted by MsVal View Post
    In my opinion, all people should dress in a way that makes them comfortable.
    Remember, this *IS* a forum where we talk about wearing unconventional apparel.
    ^^^ This is why. And at moments like this it's why I like this forum... How easily we forget that we are all just fellas in frocks...

We all do this for different motivations, in different ways, different places and to different degrees of... blendability...?

But - you only need to take a look at more youthfully-minded GGs of any age to realise that 'age-appropriateness' is just another box to be constrained by... Of course, don't go out looking a clown, but be comfortable and be you!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I didnt get the memo! I dress as I want guy or girl. My wife says I have stripper style! Sounds great to me, I love strippers!

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    When you are at home, I say dress as you please. Wear what makes you happy. As far as going out dressed, I would say its more of a "venue appropriate" thing. You sure wouldnt wear the same thing to a mall as you would to a nice dinner venue or to a dance club. Also I say wear what flatters your figure, sure if junior cloths fit you, great just pick a color and style that suits. If its misses or petites or womens dept there is no set of rules. Look around at ggs that are about your age and body shape and see what they are wearing. Try a few things till you find what you like.
    Erica

Quote Originally Posted by Donnagirl View Post
    Age appropriate, body shape compatible, coordinated colour and style, weather/season suitable, accessorized, makeup just right... Someone should have told me it would be this hard. Is there a manual???
    Ha! Love that. If you do find that manual let us all know. The author would make a fortune. But it needs a cover of a bicycler and a title like "Crossing America the hard way"
    Victoria
    By the grace of God, I am what I am.

Reality Check
    Age appropriate. You don't have to wear a "granny dress" if you are a senior but miniskirts and 6" heels look silly on someone who is obviously old enough to have grandchildren.

Older women dress like older women for a reason.

Platinum Member
    Hi Ophelia, I'm 71 and I like to dress as a 50ish lady, It's amazing
    how the right outfit can dress you back 10 to 20 years.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!