Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I do my best to blend?

Banned Read only

I do my best to blend?

A question for all you "dress to blend" gals as well as the FPs here. [That would be Fashion Police]

I can only "guess" that MOST men, [whether they are CDers or not or attached or not] are going to turn their heads to look as soon as they HEAR you know what. I'm guessing it's an instinctive male trait. Probably not a trait of females.

???

So, do you simply stay away from heels that make that distinctive "range of music" or glue some type of tips on them to mute them or just dress with "quiet" shoes if you are going out dressed?

What say the FP about this? If a CDer goes out wearing clickclack shoes, are they trying to draw attention to themselves, so they should cease and desist?

I'm sure the heel veterans here will point out that it IS possible to walk stealthily in them with a bit of "good technique".

But of course the magic and the allure of certain heels is in the "music" they make is it not?

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    While I don't go out and as much as I love that clicking heal sound I would tend to stay away from them in public just not not draw any unwanted attention

Blending is not hiding, it is fitting in with one's peer group and circumstances. I would not wear heels to play tennis, I would not wear a swimsuit to a formal event, and I don't give up my heels to blend.

Male attention? Well, getting noticed, getting looks, is a natural part of being a woman and is a natural part of blending.

So, while I don't know about what others may do, as I go through my life I wear heels, wedges, even flats as fits the time and place.

Hope that helps.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Platinum Member
    I agree with Barb. Blending is not hiding. It's about dressing appropriate to the setting and in a manner compatible with ones age. Or in short to look like you belong among the women frequenting the same venues.

And frankly, I'm far less concerned about what a curious male may think. If I'm read, it's normally by other women. I wear heals where appropriate, as I would flats or sandals. Besides sound of heels may be audible and discernible in some settings, but the click of one pair soon becomes lost among dozens.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I tend to wear a lot of flats, but it's not for fear of click-clacking, it's fear of rolling an ankle.

I consistently wear heels to almost all of my out and abouts....'cept when I'm super casual and then it's with heeled sandals... I actually enjoy the click clack and attempt to get it to sound just right.

I much prefer to click clack in the company of other click clackers but in today's mid-west plains style of dressing (flip flops, t-shirt off the top of the dirty clothes pile and jeans or gym shorts) I tend to stand out but still blend.

If I am confident and dress appropriately, I don't care about the noise my heels make....

Renne.....

If my outfit calls for heels then heels it is.
    If someone looks because my heels make that wonderful sound then they are no different from me as I would look also.

I have a pair of flats that have hard heels and also sound off when I walk, so let them look and let them enjoy the sights...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Gone to live my life
    Hi WAH,

I am with Barb and Kim on this one . . . I don't blend to hide I blend to present in a way that feels comfortable in a fashion a like. I rarely wear heels as for the most part my jaunts are casual experiences, shopping, running errands, the odd lunch and of course Starbucks . I did wear heels downtown for a lunch date with some GG friends and had to walk a few streets from the bus stop and the "click, click" sound did draw some stares from men but they were cursory stares and I am sure when the processed the full picture they were kicking themselves for staring in the first place

My take on blending, wear what you like according to the venue but then again, I have seen GGs at COSTCOs dressed in power suits (heels and all) as they were probably stopping in after work so IMHO there is no rule to blending it is all about comfort and personal choice.

Hugs

Isha

I always wear heels, it just depends on the occasion, the time of day, the expected types of ground/road/floors that I will be walking on, etc.. to determine whether it's gonna be sky-high ultra-thin stilettos or the still-high somewhat-chunkier heel.

Also.. hiding?? I don't go out to just play hide and seek.. I try to blend, but if wearing heels means people will be look at me, then so be it!

I know I look presentable, perhaps 25% (a certified MUOTS figure ) more fashionable and stylish than most of the GG's surrounding me, but still nothing OTT.

I'm sure the CD-FP (if there is such a thing) would agree that high heels do click... and that for a lot of CD's (not all obviously), heels nowadays are part of the typically female outfit.

My 2 eurocents, if you don't want any eyes on you, then be as quiet and unremarkable as possible. Whether that's called blending or hiding..
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

Reality Check
    I normally wear flats, both to keep my height lower and because I'm normally in places and situations where GGs are wearing flats (or sandals). I don't try to draw attention to myself.

I've found that men only hear three things. Obviously, the sound of your heels reminds them of-
    Opening a beer.
    Preparing to shoot something.
    You're having sex, about to have sex, or noisily thinking about having sex.

Bless them, for they are simple creatures, but without them, Who's going to kill spiders for us?

I'm with Barb and Krisi on this one. Most women in this part of Florida who are not dressed for work wear sandals, flats or tennies. So do I -- I expect to be treated as one of them, so I rarely wear heels during the day. I'm just more comfortable that way. And I certainly do not want to attract male attention (but sometimes that happens and yes, that is nice).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

What's the point of wearing heels if they don't make that cool sound?

Yes heels can be very audible. Actually it's funny but my wife was complaining about that very thing last night. The heels she was wearing while too high or point are really quite noisy and in the hospital where she works they have long quiet corridors and she was conscious of click clacking down them yesterday. To make it worse one of her colleagues said to her: 'I knew it was you I heard you coming'.

Of course for her it's just an excuse to go shoe shopping! Which I look forward to as I'll be with her.

As for keeping the noise down. I tried to lean forward a bit but the only real solution is to take em off!

I dress to blend in but always in nice clothes and always flats although some of my flats click when I walk, I like the New York lady's that lunch look

Banned Read only
    I was in the waiting room at the dermatologist 2 days ago, where I waited for about 35 minutes. ONE woman came in wearing heels and a skirt. She was probably 35ish. The other 20+ ladies of all ages were wearing either shorts or jeans and most were wearing sandals with no heels or basic or fancy flip flops. It was a typical 90 degree Florida afternoon...

Banned Read only
    We all know when we hear a girl in heels walking down the street men and often women glance to look, I'm wondering if it would make much difference what sex was wearing them as long as they were attractive enough ! You either think WOW she's stunning or WOW that's a guy !!
    If I were out heels or not they would be well muffled ! Unless that million dollars was still on offer !!

Paula's response really seems to hit the nail on the head !
    Chac

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    I've found that men only hear three things. Obviously, the sound of your heels reminds them of-
    Opening a beer.

Bless them, for they are simple creatures, but without them, Who's going to kill spiders for us?

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    Opening a beer.

That's interesting, because the sound of heels clicking does not make me think of any of those examples. Maybe on a deep sub-conscious level, there is some link to sex, but my conscious mind is not thinking about that at all. It perks my attention, of course, but simply because it makes me want to look at the person.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

Wear something that your comfortable in. It will make the huge difference!

I dress to blend and find that clacky heels don't really detract from that. Here's what happens:

I walk near a male.
    Male head turns toward me.
    Male looks at my boobs. Finds them not spectacular.
    Male directs gaze upward, finds fiftysomething face. Really not spectacular.
    Male's attention goes back to whatever he was doing before I approached.

Woman in my age group really are invisible. As long as my behavior doesn't vary too far from the norm I'm fine.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I dress to blend, because I enjoy being accepted as a woman as much as possible. If high heels are appropriate to the occasion then I wear them and vice versa. In New York City, where I recently lived, high heels are much more a part of what is normal than where I live now in the great Pennsylvania/Ohio Rust Belt. If I feel like wearing heels in the daytime, then I make sure that I am wearing a woman's suit and look like an attorney or an accountant so that the outfit matches. If I'm going to a c*cktail lounge in a party dress I'll wear high heels, but if I'm going to TGIFriday's for a burger and a beer I'm probably going to be wearing nothing higher than a pair of wedges with inch and a half heels. And, nowadays, it's stylish to wear a short skirt, leggings and combat boots almost anywhere.

Beats me Hon. I really don't pay that much attention. They must clickety clack like hell when I'm dancing.
    Last edited by Kate Simmons; 08-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi ,

Oh heck this ...is... about blending , oh dear count me out i cant walk down the street with out being looked at no matter what i wear so click clack im long past that and people know me at 1/2 a mile away, and im tall enough any ways,

..noeleena...

Platinum Member
    Hi Wah, That's the whole point to get the clickety clack as you walk in heels.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!