Thread: Pioneer in SRS surgery dies

Exclamation Pioneer in SRS surgery dies

__________________________________________________ ______________
    Leader in sex-change surgery dies at 82

by Christopher Curtis, PlanetOut Network
    Wednesday, January 18, 2006 / 01:52 PM
    http://www.planetout.com/news/article.html?2006/01/18/3

Summary:
    The trans community and his small Colorado town mourn Dr. Stanley Biber, who did more than 4,500 reassignment surgeries.

Take a moment and think a kind thought for someone who has helped so many in our community to realize their dream. He will be missed.
    And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

-Anais Nin

Peace,

Alice

We'll pray for him

I remember reading a newspaper article about Dr. Biber in the mid-80's when I was 15. I was so excited that I went to the library to see where exactly in Colorado Trinidad was. I carried the article around in my school notebook and read it so often that it eventually fell apart. I felt relieved to discover there were others like me who found the means to take their problem to the next level. I remember trying to calculate how much snow I would have to shovel, how many lawns I would have to cut, and how many newspapers I would have to deliver to pay for the transition based upon the costs that were mentioned in the article. But at least it gave me hope.
    A few months later I hunted down Renee Richard's story, "Second Serve," in the library. I would go there and hide in a corner reading it with great anticipation. A few years after that Carolyn Cossey published her book, "My Story." I bought a copy. Those books and related articles were almost biblical to me. Did/does anyone else share those experiences?
    Marie

Stanley Biber's death is a great loss to our community. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that Dr. Biber was responsible not only for training Marci Bowers, but also Toby Meltzer, Pierre Brassard and Eugene Schrang.

A great number of us have been directly or indirectly affected by his work. He will be greatly missed.