Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out To Corporate

Out To Corporate

So yesterday, I was off work but it was a coworkers last day so I brought some pizza up to the store for a little going away party. Since I was off, and everyone at my job knows about me, I went as myself and not the fake male persona I have to portray every day. None of my coworkers batted an eye of course. Well, as we are all enjoying piazza and wings, out walks our district manager from the managers office. I'm pretty much full girl mode minus the wig. I don't think she was expecting to see me like that, but she recovered fast and gave me a warm greeting. I'm not entirely sure if she knew or not since my store manager knows, but if she didn't, she does now!
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

Aly,
    I hope corporate does not have a problem. I'm glad your coworker are so accepting.
    Dana M

I'm not worried. I'm part of my companies corporate LGBT LEAGUE association. My company was ranked as one of the most diversity friendly companies in the country. I just think my bosses boss was caught off guard. I'm sure she was told when my manager found out originally. Who knows. I'm not worked. The food was good, the company was good, and the drinks were good Lol. It's amazing how good soda is after 4 months of not having it!
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

Corporate

Well I guess the (Aly) cat is out of the bag now

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Would love to dress for work but not happening in the foreseeable for this girl. My company (as any in the UK) would be OK, but not coming out where I gain no benefit.

Kudos to you though Aly. I'll just dream that I'm in your shoes for the day.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Platinum Member
    Hi Aly, The look on her face must've been just priceless.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Oh it was totally priceless. She just stopped in her tracks and stared for half a second before saying hey. It was pretty funny.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Aly,

What a nice story and what a great working environment you seem to have. I am sure you gave corporate food for thought beyond pizza and wings.

Hugs

Isha

Likely not a bad thing. I would do a double take, too, if someone I knew only presented in one gender then unexpectedly I run into them and - BAM. Bet the reaction was priceless indeed.

That's really cool. Unfortunately, my company has a written policy against unconventional gender expression, and this policy is unlikely ever to change. Otherwise, it's a pretty good job, so I'm content to put up with it.

But if company policy is on your side, why not go for it?

Oh wow, how is that even legal???

Perhaps now Corporate's policies may change for the better?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Yeah unfortunately, there's something like 35 states still without laws so that companies technically can fire you for gender expression. "You don't fit the image we're trying to present here at "megacorp"...
    That even affects those full-time transitioning. Hence the big push for more anti-discrimination laws.
    Some companies do better in some ways.
    Mine handled a transitioner well 2 yrs ago. Still works there.
    But it would take something official (docs, therapists notes, maybe legal name change) to allow this kind of expression.
    Still, I wish I could do the full thing there. Or better yet, find another even better company to work for...
    Since I'm wishing.. I'll just add 'or win the lottery so I could just do my own company'
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

That is such a great story. Unfortunately when I check my company's policy it says I'm at-will/no-cause with no gender identity protection.... I'm still on the job hunt and will definitely check out company's on this list.

http://www.hirediversity.com/news/20..._companies.htm

Renne.....

Banned Read only
    The Human Rights Campaign organization here in the US, http://www.hrc.org/, has a lot of good information about what is happening in the various states regarding Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA). There's also data on their yearly survey, the Corporate Equality Index (CEI). The CEI has a number of different rating factors around LGBT diversity programs, seeking companies under LBGT ownership for inclusion into supply chain activities, written diversity policies including LBGT issues such as transgender benefits, etc.

Our LGBT employee affinity group has worked with our corporate HR to continually move forward on doing well with the CEI as it is not a static target. Every few years there are noticeable changes in one or 2 areas.

Another US organization is Out & Equal Workplace Advocates, http://www.outandequal.org/. They deal specifically with LGBT issues as they relate to the workplace. They do an annual convention called the Workplace Summit. Many of our affinity group have gone over the years and I went in 2009. Great conference, lots of good workshop sessions on a myriad of topics and that year Kate Clinton and Leslie Jordan did standup. What's not to like?

Related to Gender Expression, The thought is for presenting one way or the other, but not going back and forth. If you need to present as the opposite gender, then it is quite permissible to do so. You just can't change your mind next week, only to change it again a few days later.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Related to Gender Expression, The thought is for presenting one way or the other, but not going back and forth. If you need to present as the opposite gender, then it is quite permissible to do so. You just can't change your mind next week, only to change it again a few days later.
    It's the same at my company. They fully support LGBT and have many rules set in place to protect those who are transgender. But, you pick one gender or another. You can't go back and forth. I'm gradually introducing female articles of clothing into my work wardrobe. I've been wearing makeup since day one and styling my hair as feminine as I can as it grows out. I spent my clothing allowance on women's shirts and cardigans instead of getting men's stuff. They just recently changed the rules in pants so now we can wear jeans. I'm still wearing guys jeans but plan on changing that after a while. Shoes will be the last to change. Then I just have to get this cursed name tag changed to Aly... Or Alyson if they want something more formal. My manager doesn't mind gender expression at all as long as it still fits into company dress code policy. 4-ish more months and I'll be legally changing my name so all this will be totally smoothed over.

Oh, and talking about what companies are doing...
    My company has a whole system for someone transitioning. First you have a meeting with your manager, area manager, and HR together going over what can be expected and a formal decree of intent. Then after that, there are two store meetings held. One without the person transitioning present so that employees can feel comfortable asking questions that they may not otherwise ask. The second meeting is another store meeting, but this time, the person transitioning is present to answer any other questions. Once that is done, a licensed gender therapist is brought in to do a 3 hour workshop with all the employees going over what is appropriate, what is not, how to address three individuals with correct pronouns etc. This is a required workshop for all employee and managers. Then on the first day of the person who is transitioning coming in as their official female self, introductions are made as if they are a brand new employee and the name is changed in the system, payroll, logins, etc. From that point on, HR erases all records of the old name (excluding background check info and tax info) and all employees are required to use the new name, pronouns etc. If the rules are intentionally not followed, it is viewed by the company as harassment and that employee is reprimanded including and up to termination. My company doesn't mess around with this stuff Lol. They are legitimately in favor for diversity.

Platinum Member
    I must say, you work for a great company!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That's AT&T for ya!

I was going to ask which company - if you were allowed to post. I'll have to look at ways I can support that company with my business now. I'll support a company that genuinely is diversity friendly.

~Mel
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 08-05-2014 at 05:23 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post right before your post.
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Great story, Aly. Nice to hear positive news for a change. Also, this makes me feel better about my phone/internet/cable bill.

Cheers!
    I'm through accepting limits
    'Cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But 'til I try, I'll never know!
    - Defying Gravity from Wicked

Banned Read only
    Along those lines, the HRC has a Buyer's Guide that is viewable online or by download or by iPhone and Android apps. Basically it is a ranking by CEI scores and the brand names that are associated with each company. I'm happy to report that my employer has scored 100% for several years now. However, we don't sell anything to the general public, as far as I know. For doing business with other companies, do you really want to have a business relationship with a company that is seen as a barnacle on the ass of progress?

Buyer's Guide:
    http://www.hrc.org/apps/buyersguide/...p#.U9_a4cu9KSM

I think the policies and processes that AT&T and other companies apparently have in place are great. People have the right to feel however they want about anything in their private lives, but I think leaving no room in company policy to act in ignorance or in an unprofessional manner is needed.

Banned Read only
    Sometimes you might get a pass due to lack of knowledge, but if that does happen, it is a one time deal. All Grace and Good Kharma has been used up at that point.

Mmmmm pizza!! Oh, and you were en femme, too? Fantastic win-win!! Such a refreshing thing when talent and drive count more than all the other things that some companies spend a lot of time worrying about. Kudos!!

Hugs,
    Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    As a Transgender Rights activist here in NE Florida,the "switching" seems to be a big fear of employers.I don't feel that fear is justified...Full time girls are not on an agenda to waffle...
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-05-2014 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Fixed quote box
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !