Thread: San Francisco Style

San Francisco Style

I'm trying to plan my outfit for my trip to San Francisco next week. I'm coming from Houston, where it's all bare legs and open toes right now. But, anyone who's been to SF knows that their summer is like a Houston winter. So, what about boots? Are they worn year round in SF? One of my favorite outfits is a black A-line skirt, purple sweater with a black waist jacket, and black fashion boots. Is that a summertime faux pas? My goal is always to blend, so I'd like to stay on trend if my wardrobe allows it.

Thanks!
    Renee

Banned Read only
    Renee, it could be cold OR it could be hot. Also, the part of town you are in and the venue might dictate your attire. Either bring an outfit for both warm and cold or watch the weather really close before you go. I was out a few weeks back in jeans and booties. Most women I saw were win flats.

Junior Member Miss Interpretation's Avatar
    I live just south of the city and go there frequently enough. The weather can vary, especially in the summer, but you can typically expect it to be on the chillier side (probably low 70's in the day and low 60's at night?). It is almost always cold at night, so if you plan on being out late, definitely bring something warmer. I think what you're planning on wearing is fine, as long as you're comfortable. Let's be frank here, in SF nothing looks too strange, so you won't have to worry too much about blending in.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ReneeTX View Post
    I'm trying to plan my outfit for my trip to San Francisco next week. I'm coming from Houston, where it's all bare legs and open toes right now. But, anyone who's been to SF knows that their summer is like a Houston winter. So, what about boots? Are they worn year round in SF? One of my favorite outfits is a black A-line skirt, purple sweater with a black waist jacket, and black fashion boots. Is that a summertime faux pas? My goal is always to blend, so I'd like to stay on trend if my wardrobe allows it.

Thanks!
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    I was out a few weeks back in jeans and booties. Most women I saw were win flats.
    Don't get me wrong, but, I'll be in jeans all week long in boy mode at my conference. The LAST thing I want to wear when I get to be pretty for a night is jeans. According to the forecast it's supposed to be mid to upper 50s at night. I know that's nothing for an Idahoan, but to this Houston girl, that's not cold, but still a little cool. I may need to go shopping...I really want to wear a dress or skirt, without going overboard and looking to formal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Also, the part of town you are in and the venue might dictate your attire.
    I'm staying in a hotel by Union Square, likely going to AsiaSF for dinner, then who knows afterwards. Some of it might depend on whether or not anyone from here is going out on Sunday night. *hint*
    Last edited by ReneeTX; 08-18-2014 at 11:42 PM.

I go into SF almost weekly year round, almost exclusively at night. Sometimes the winter cold is less cutting and milder than that famous summer chill. Our warmest months can be August and September. That usually means warm during the day (around 65-70 in SF) and mid to high 50's at night.I go bare legged from April/May until November/December. I do see the occasional GG wearing boots during the warmer months and a little more common occurrence is black nylons or tights. You should always have a light sweater or jacket with you, whether you use it or not. You just never know when you will get that unwanted San Francisco "chill" when not prepared and end up buying a tourist sweatshirt or sweater. Now, most of San Francisco is usually somewhat casual in dressing styles. Casual stylish, not casual sloppy. I usually wear a cute skirt and top combo, or, as I have been doing a lot for the last 1 1/2 years a dress. During the day you can definitely go casual, slacks, jeans, long skirts or summer maxi-dresses (remember with that complimenting sweater or jacket). At night, you can dress up more.

If I remember your previous thread, you said that you wanted to go to Diva. That is a so-so place that caters to TG's and their admirers. They have 3 or 4 floors, but they only open all of them up when they are busy, which I am guessing is the weekends. There are also the occasional and maybe regular working girls there. I personally do not like the place, but then have never actually been there on a really busy night when everything was happening. There are so many wine bars, restaurants and other places to go in the city that are also so human accepting of all diversities, you will never lack for options. You will also not have issues at any of them. I hope this helps with your planning.

Hell-o Renee, I understand your concerns of wanting to be fashionable, and comfortable.
    I would say if you fell comfortable, and fashionable with something you may wear out in TX.
    It will be fine in S.F. The City is full of tourists and you'll see all kinds of fashions.
    The outfit you described sounds warm enough, and fine for a night out in the City.
    If I could change anything... you would be in HEELS!
    Have a great time!
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Allie,
    It does help, a lot, thanks! I originally wanted to go to Diva's, just because of the allure, I guess. But, it just isn't me. Maybe 10-15 years ago, but not now. I may still go to AsiaSF, but I will probably end up at a wine bar as you've suggested in my other post.

It's almost always cooler if not downright chilly in the evenings. Daytime is a crap-shoot though, even for locals. I was there today and it was very comfortable (on the cool side) in professional attire of slacks and blazer. A couple of weeks ago, I was downtown and it was so hot during band rehearsal that I couldn't even wear my favorite cowboy hat.

However, around here it always depends on where you're at. If you don't like the weather, just drive for 20 minutes in any direction. My friend's house in South City is almost always cold as a MF, and my place in Concord (Diablo Valley) is generally hot as **** in the summer. Union Square will be sunny and cool, or foggy and cold depending on the mood of the Gods on any given day. Dress in layers and always bring a hoodie. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Crossdresser
    It's not just the temperature you need to watch. It's the wind and the fog. If the Sacto valley is hot, which it will be, then the wind will precede the fog, and the coldest part is just before the fog gets to you. If the city is socked in, then it will mostly around 60ยบ.

Where you are in the city also matters. For example, the Richmond and Sunset will be fogged in by morning. Downtown and SOMA get fogged in last along with Bayview/Hunters Point (which I doubt you will be visiting). So.SF and some of San Bruno has similar weather, but San Mateo and south is completely different.

I suggest wearing what you would wear on a cool fall morning. Have layers you can add or subtract as conditions change.

There are many who have chimed in so far who frequent SF much more often than I do. However, I have a perspective similar to what you are about to experience in that had a business trip to the city back in early July. I was struck by the sun being out along with a distinct chill in the air. As such, when it came to fashions on the streets, I saw plenty of boots, lots of black tights and more sheer hosiery over the course of two days than I'd see in an entire spring-into-summer here in SoCal.

Here at home, boots and/or black hosiery in the summer and conversely, flip-flops in the winter (especially rain) strike me as very odd choices. In SF, it looks like all bets are off due to the weather. Makes sense, choosing one's wardrobe in consideration of the weather (among other things, of course). Enjoy your trip!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Renee, welcome to The City by the Bay. First off, you're staying at the right place. Union Square. Just increase the limit on your charge cards and pick out a wardrobe when you get here. As Lillyasia mentions there are micro-climates in each of the neighborhoods. Dress in layers. Have a scarf at the ready. Wear comfortable shoes/boots. Bring the camera with extra batteries and memory cards. Stay away from the San Francisco sweat shirts. You'll need prior reservations for Alcatraz. Just enjoy yourself and have a great time. Keep you valuables close to your body and in sight. If a neighborhood doesn't "feel" right/safe, it probably isn't.

joni

Hi Renee, so tell us how your outing went?